1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The dead are walking...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Feb 25, 2013.

1. theMaverick

I know there are fellow walking dead fans on here. I was watching last Sunday's episode (not yesterdays, no spoilers please) and if you've seen it, you know what happens. That got me to thinking...in the event that something like that happened, where would I go? Obviously the city isn't the safe place to be, high population density, lots of bait, and likely to have pockets of armed marauding gangs or something like that.

I would get out of the city and head northwest. Granted from Texas it'd take a while to get there, but it's not unthinkable. The Olympic Peninsula. Mountainous, rough terrain. Fairly low population density. Here's a population density map.

Legend, light to dark (white to dark blue):
    0-1 (white)
    1-4 (yellow)
    5-9 (yellow-green)
    10-24 (green)
    25-49 (teal)
    50-99 (dark teal)
    100-249 (blue)
    250-66,995 (violet)
    [​IMG]

There are places with lower population density in the deserts and high plains but I don't feel those would be ideal due to the lack of adequate rainfall, drought periods, blowing snow/blizzards are more commonplace, and lack of rivers, streams, lakes, etc. The Olympic Peninsula is on the Pacific ocean, so you could go fishing there. There is also a decent supply of freshwater, plus with all the rain and snowmelt from the mountains, you really wouldn't need to worry about water, and rivers/creeks/lakes are another source of fishing. There is plenty of wildlife for hunting, etc. I'm not as certain of this but I'm sure owing to the moderate climate in the lower elevations, you could probably grow some food as well. The main reason is back to the low population density, rough terrain, and weather. Lower population density = less people = less zombies. Rough terrain means it'll be hard for zombies to get around. Also, less likely to have marauding gangs, I'd imagine, and the rain means plenty of water.

Where would YOU go?? Why would you go there? Assume that the scenario is a major widespread zombie outbreak, an apocalypse, if you will. Law and order has broken down. The government has failed to contain it, and likely failed itself. Grocery stores have no food, city water supplies have failed, no electricity, no communications other than radios, no news. Basically in a non function anarchy society.

#1 theMaverick, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Id be so dead... Haha. Id get on my bike, I feel like going west would be hopeless, so id head for the rockaways or further out on long island and try to get a boat or something. But I doubt id make it out of the city alive, im not built for a zombie apacolypse!

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boats and small islands are probably ideal but how easy they would be to get access to is a problem in itself.
    I'm not sure about how safe mountains would be. Dead Snow convinced me that zombies can make it in just about any terrain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. theMaverick

Islands would be ideal, but exactly. Maybe the San Juan islands in Washington? I'm not familiar with Dead Snow, but I know it's possible they'd be in the mountains, but lets say a city versus the mountains, there's gonna be less zombies. Alaska would be good also, because the zombies would freeze and you could start over next spring zombie free...

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live very close to a few small islands which, at the most desperate point, could be swum to from shore. The fishing's good there, and with a little help from a scoped rifle or two, you could soften up/secure an area of the mainland if you had to go back for supplies.

Not that my zombie survival plan is very hardcore (basically grab some weapons and a few provisions to bug out with my group) but I think the environment is on my side.

St. Lucie County, Florida btw. We're right near a lot of water, which could make undeath hard for dense packs of zeds.

6. theMaverick

Well that's certainly useful, to be able to break away to islands in a part of the country you're familiar with. I could just leave the city and escape into the countryside here, but it gets unbearably hot in the summer, and while there are quite a few lakes around here, I'd still rather beat a path to somewhere else in this scenario.

7. The username

At the end of Dawn of the Dead they took a boat out to an island. I guess that worked for them...? Side note: what a horrible movie.

"Alaska would be good also, because the zombies would freeze and you could start over next spring zombie free..."
    This depends. When the zombies thaw do they remain undead? With no power/heat, I don't know if I would want to be in Alaska for winter either.

The problem for me would get getting to a safe location. Purple surrounds me on that map.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the plots of zombie movies. There could be *any* reason why they found more of them on the island there excluding the fact that it makes a nice "oh shit!" ending, but the islands I'm talking about are tiny (walk around the whole thing in <10 minutes) and uninhabited save for campers every so often.

^^I do wonder how many people would share my idea, though. Those idyllic little spots would probably be packed with skittish people with the exact same thought.

9. theMaverick

That's a good question if Zombies unfreeze would they regain any abilities? I wouldn't think so...they freeze, the brain freezes, whatever virus or parasite that was in the brain would likely die unless it was extremely hardy. I don't put any stock in zombie film plots either. If you think about it logically, zombies would be fast at first, but they longer the zombie remained in unison with it's head, the rest of the body would be rotting, so they would be forced to become slower. Other than that, I'd say it's unwise to speculate. The acquisition of proper weaponry and learning how to use it correctly would be your biggest hump in the beginning. A smart person could find good places to hide and what not while they made their escape plan. I do find it insane that in The Walking Dead, out in the middle of the countryside of rural Georgia that there are stilling thousands of zombies milling about. Eventually the population would become reduced because it is dead rotting meat. It isn't going to go on walking forever and forever into eternity. There would likely be a few, but I don't see reason why it would be like that.

Before anyone else says it, yes, I have way too much time on my hands to think about all of this.

10. Rarar

I'm in England, so I'm pretty much screwed....if the dead started walking, I'd have no idea where to go, possibly south, near the coast.

11. Since I'm 50 miles North of Atlanta, I think I'd have a decent chance of survival. And they shot an episode a few miles away from my step-dad's business. Very neat.