1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book recommendations

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Januarydreaming, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Seeing as there is no current thread about this I decided why not start one?
    Recommend a book on this thread!
    First of state the name of the book, briefly describe it and tell everyone what you thought of it.

The book I chose is called Bad Science.
    It is a book about the 'bad' practices of science and the people behind them.
    Overall I found it to be both interesting and thought provoking.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews :slight_smile:

3. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

Elemental by Antony John

4. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Ender's game" by Orson Scott Card.

In short, it's a sci-fi/dystopian book about a gifted kid who is trained to defend Earth against a hostile alien race. But the most interesting bit to it, in my opinion, is Ender's psychological battles. He's got great talent, but he hates violence. He's a person who cares a lot about others. There's also a movie coming out later this year, so anyone who hasn't read it, now it's probably the time to think about it!

5. CTJ

CTJ

The Passage - Justin Cronin

Imagine Vampires mixed with Zombies, throw in the end of civilization and you've got one awesome novel. I'm only half way through and i find it hard to put down and go to work. The author has created a rich universe reaching from the beginning of a viral plague with the government turning people into the monsters to use as weapons, up to when civilization collapses and small groups of people survive and create new culture apart from the 'time before'.

Couldn't recommend it enough.

6. TheBookReader

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

7. Kay

Kay Guest

Lesbian origins by Susan Calvin

8. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tuesdays with Morrie is a 1997 non-fiction novel by American writer Mitch Albom

It is the best book ever, and one everyone must read. It isn't a classic, that somehow will last the test of time, it however was everything that I needed to read when I was at my weakest and it is completely true. I own his second book, Have a little faith, which before I lost it in a move I had both. I plan to rebuy this book soon.

9. izzyblue1456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Song of Achilles By: Madeline Miller
    An amazing book.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Black Swan, by Nassim Taleb

If you want to know why screwy things happen on Wall Street and in the world in general read this book. Also an excellent exposition on the various frauds and fallacies associated with those who think they can predict the future.

11. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any book by Max Barry.

Really smart humor.

12. Great book, extremely depressing lol.

If someone hasn't already listed it, try The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and Imajica by Clive Barker. Both are excellent reads, especially Imajica.

13. FemCasanova

I recommend against this one, if you are a sensitive soul like me. God damned awfully tragic book, and even worse movie! Sure, quality-wise it is perfect, but what happens in it is terrible! I cried my eyes out watching the movie, and felt rotten afterwards.

So, only read it if you are good with cruelty against children.

14. Just Jess

Well if you liked Bad Science, you'd like "Not Even Wrong" and "The Problem With Physics".

15. FemCasanova

Mortal Instrument series, by Cassandra Claire.

Sort of Harry Potter-ish. It is about a young girl, who discover that there`s a world hidden from the mundanes (normal people), in which there`s a bit of a war going on, where evil demons and other creatures are controlled and subdued by Shadow-hunters, who protect the mundane world by killing demons on the loose and other creatures that roam free to harm people. This by the use of magical sigils they tattoo on their bodies, that give the Shadow-Hunters strength, agility, heals, etc.

Great books, very nicely written and fitting for all ages, except <12. Nice humor, interesting characters, and all in all one of my fave series.

I suck at writing summaries, lol!

16. 4ever Hearth

Yes!!! This seemed to be a very intriguing book but, like a fool, I gave it to my niece oneday when she wouldn't leave me alone. She's been holding onto it eversince. Talk about the one that got away. :eusa_doh:

Also "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. It's an amazing meld of non-fiction history and alchemy/science meets Witches, Vampires and Daemons(an ingenious, in my humble opinion, depiction of the individuals we call "Artists.") Unfortunately, I haven't finished yet but what I have read thus far is captivating and intense.

17. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

The true story of a woman whose cancer cells became the first to survive outside the body, leading to the immortal strain of HeLa which has been used in research and to create cures and treatments for all kinds of stuff. It also discusses issues of race, education, and ownership of cells.

18. FemCasanova

It`s a series, counting 5 books so far :icon_bigg I love series more than I love single books, because then you have more to enjoy, and you can see more character development and dynamics. Really recommend it!

19. Those sound interesting, I'll have to look them up sometime.

While we're at it the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness.

The book explores some really interesting themes.
    It starts off with a boy named Todd discovering something which should not 'exist'.

20. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt because it is profoundly beautiful imo.

and the Evil Genius trilogy because that stuff is so adrenaline pumping