1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Java in chat rooms gone wrong

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JWAD, Mar 17, 2008.

1. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I keep tryin to get onto some chat rooms, not ec's but i keep getting the message "Several Java Virtual Machines running in the same process caused an error."
    wtf does that meen and how do i fix it?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It's difficult to say, but for starters assuming you're using Windows...

Go to "Control Panel" - "Java" - "Update" - "Update Now". This will find if there is a newer version of the Sun Java runtime than the one you are running and will offer to install it. Let it do so.

Then go to "Control Panel" - "Add or Remove Programs" (or "Programs and Features" on Vista) and uninstall all versions of Java apart from the current one (that you may have just installed). The current version now is Java 6 Update 5.

Then try a reboot and see if that helped.

The problem with Java (apart from it being slow, bloated and unreliable on Windows) is that each update installs a complete new version and doesn't remove older versions. So you can end up with several versions on the system which can sometimes cause problems.

Another thing to try is different browsers (Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer) and see if they behave differently. If you are still using Firefox 1.5 or earlier update it to version 2 (currently 2.0.0.12) as Firefox below version 2 doesn't support Java 6 properly.

3. JWAD

JWAD Guest

Thanx for the help Paul but perhaps I should've given more detail, I've got the latest Java and no others but I don't think its actually running, I'm using windows and it's a new laptop. I'm not quite a computer illiterate but they seem to hate me so I do need reasonably basic instructions, such as follow, start/control panel/remove programs... etc

oh and when I close the window I get the message:
    The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

#3 JWAD, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008