1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux X_X HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Grof142007, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Grof142007

Well Since i lose my other computer in the fire someone donate one of there old CPU and guess what it Linux :frowning2: So far i got the basic down ( i love the spell check feature) i want to get a partition and put windows xp( was originally but for 2000) but im not sure if i can have enough space. i don't know how to go to the area and check my ram memory or anything else like that.

So any Good Linux users feel free to help me.

i got something called free spire or something

also it would be nice to find some Linux games or voice over IP programs

#1 Grof142007, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. Rette

Sadly, you can't make a partition and install windows XP alongside Linux. Windows XP just kind of assumes that you are ONLY using windows XP, and it's installer formats your entire HD. Yes, everyone hates Microsoft for that.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can, but it is kind of hard. I don't remember the exact procedure but it implies:

* Using GParted to create a new primary partition and formatting it as FAT/NTFS.
    * Installing Windows XP to that partition using the Windows installer, which CAN be done (select the desired partition during install; that requires a retail copy of XP, won't work with an OEM one)
    * Restoring Linux's GRUB bootloader which will require the Linux CD/DVD, because Windows will overwrite the hard disk's master boot record (MBR).

So:

1) Create the new partition. Freespire uses KDE if I remember well so you'll have to use QTParted. It's intuitive, so resize the Linux partition and free up some space; then create a new (primary) partition and format it as NTFS; choose FAT32 if NTFS is not available.

2) Open a console and type:

sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/mbr-backup bs=512 count=1

3) Copy the file to an external medium (flash drive, CD, diskette etc). It is on your root directory (/)

4) Install Windows to the partition.

5) Boot from the Linux CD/DVD, insert the medium where you copied the mbr-backup file, copy it to / (that will require superuser privileges)

6) Enter the console and type:

sudo dd if=/mbr-backup of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

7) Reboot. Linux should boot normally (but you can't access Windows yet!)

8) Open a console window and type:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

9) Now comes the difficult part. You might see some lines like the following. If they are there, uncomment them; if not, add them.

title Microsoft Windows XP
    root (hd0,1)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

That supposes that Windows is installed in the first partition of the first hard disk (hd0,1), but if not you'll have to change the 0 and 1. For example, if the Windows partition is the third, the line will have to say "root (hd0,3)".

10) Type the following:

sudo grub-install /dev/hda

11) Reboot. It should be working.

I said it wasn't easy. But it's possible.

#3 Miaplacidus, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (Ahh, you beat me to it! This is in response to Rette.)

Actually, that's not exactly true. You can install Windows alongside Linux if you make a separate partition, which is called dual booting (easier than it's said to be.)

However, Windows' bootloader (the menu that you use to select what operating system to use when your computer starts) takes over the Linux one, disallowing you to boot up Linux, so you have to restore the bootloader by alternate means such as a livecd.

All in all it's actually pretty complicated, but I can help you out with it if you really want. Just ask.

I suggest you stick with Linux though! The distribution that I recommend for someone who's starting out with Linux is Ubuntu. It's simple enough to install, you just have to burn the ISO from their site onto a cd and boot it up. Installing it with autopartition means it will erase your entire hard drive though, which sounds okay since you just got the comp.

I know I didn't give much info, so feel free to ask me if you need more help.

5. Rette

Huh, well I'll be damned. That's incredibly useful.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Fred is the EC Linux expert! :slight_smile:

7. Grof142007

Hmm i think I'm going to go with the ubuntu cause i heard it pretty good. now i just got to find a CD burner.

quick question since it originally for window 2000 cant i just erase the Linux part in the partition and install windows ??? I'm sure i could get either 2000 or XP from my school

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If the PC originally has Windows 2000 on it, and has a Windows 2000 license sticker on it, you can legally reinstall Windows 2000 on it. You cannot legally install Windows XP though. unless you have a spare non-OEM license or your school license is also valid on student PCs.

9. Grof142007

oh well windows 2000 beats linux seeing as everything i ever did was on windows

10. Grof142007

NEWS

so my computer is Burn/Melted But i think i might be able to save some of the harware inside if i was able to get the hardware out could i put it in the 2000 one?

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you can claim on the Dell warranty/insurance they will probably want the burnt PC as it is, so don't rush to take it apart until you know the situation there.

If it has been in a fire to the extent that the case is melted I don't think any of the parts will be usable or reliable anyway. The heat and smoke will have damaged parts even if they look OK.

12. Grof142007

i have no warrenty on the computer so getting dell help isnt going to work that melted part is what my dad said but i wont be able to correctly describe it till i see it for myself

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm sorry the warranty didn't cover it. :frowning2:

In that case it is worth trying to rescue as much as you can. Just remember that even if the parts work they could have been affected by the heat and smoke so may not be reliable. So don't trust the hard disk as the only place you store important stuff!

Did your family have any insurance at the old place?

14. Grof142007

no wee didn't everthing can be replace at least for me i just have to make a couple of phone calls to get info for certain programs and the music i think i can transfer it from my mp3 player =)

15. mike_n_herrin

Some of the things you might be able to save from the burnt computer and slip into the other one you are using. Those are mostly going to be the add in cards, like maybe the video card, or sound card, or modem, or or the optical drives (like hard drives or cd/dvd rom drives). you will be UNLIKELY to be able to move things like the processor (aka CPU) and memory.

if you go to a local book store that has magazines in it, you should be able to find a Linux magazine which they almost always have a "live" linux version you can try. "live" just means that it will run off the cd/dvd so you can try it out without ever installing anything (most give you the option to install if you want). Ubuntu was recommended above, my personal preference is to use Knoppix, but unlike most of the "live" linux versions out there, Knoppix really only runs off the CD/Dvd. you can install it, but it's a tedious process and should not be tried by folks who don't know linux very well.

16. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Took you three years or so to post for the first time, Mike. I should have guessed that a Linux thread would attract your attention. LOL. *winks*

Welcome to EC (?!)

#16 Miaplacidus, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  17. mike_n_herrin

/\ sorry. :icon_redf

#17 mike_n_herrin, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  18. Grof142007

ok so im just going to get a windows CD. I should be able to erase Linux (by clearing all partition I think) and install windows from the CD right?

There a site where i can download/burn/buy 2000 for free cause im a student =) i just get to get back my username and pass which i cant do till monday cause i need to ask my teacher what it was

19. privateaccount

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  20. Grof142007

i got the windows CD and it didn't work it said "viewing Hardware configuration " then it went to a black screen and didn't do anything else. im getting a friend of my dad to help me out