1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandora Radio

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Naren, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Naren

Yeah this is a bit random but really. Customer support?
    Got this email from Pandora:
    Hi, it's Tim –
    I hope this email finds you enjoying a favorite Pandora station.
    I'm writing to give you an important heads up. In an effort to balance the reality of increasing royalty costs with our desire to maximize access to free listening on Pandora, we are implementing a 40-hour per month limit on free mobile listening.
    Pandora's per-track royalty rates have increased more than 25% over the last three years, including 9% in 2013 alone and are scheduled to increase an additional 16% over the next two years. After a close look at our overall listening, a 40-hour per month mobile listening limit allows us to manage our costs with minimal listener disruption.
    Less than 4% of listeners will ever hit this limit, but based on your listening it seems that you might. To keep the music you love flowing we have a variety of easy options for you to consider if you reach the 40-hour limit: listen for free as much as you'd like on desktop and laptop computers; pay $0.99 for unlimited, ad-supported listening for the remainder of that month; or become a Pandora One subscriber to get unlimited listening with no advertising.
    We'll be implementing this change starting in March and will be sure to let you know if you're approaching the limit. As always, your feedback and suggestions are welcome, so don't hesitate to shoot us an email. For more details on this change, please click here.
    Thanks for listening,
    Tim
    Founder

Not good for me, I listen pretty much 24/7 on my phone, so I responded and told them as much, and got this crap back. They're worse than Jagex, and they don't even have customer support.

Hi [Me],

Thanks for writing in. Most of our listeners will never hit the limit. In fact, it will affect less than 4% of our total monthly active listeners. For perspective, the average listener spends approximately 20 hours listening to Pandora across all devices in any given month.

If you do reach the monthly listening limit, you have a number of options to continue listening:

- Listen as much as you like on our website or on a CE device.
    - Pay $.99 to listen until the end of the calendar month
    - Upgrade to Pandora One to remove the limit completely: And One - Listen to Free Music by And One on Pandora Internet Radio this option will also remove all advertising

Hope this helps. We really appreciate having you as a listener!

2. DeanIsHome

WTF? LoL you're right there worst than Jagex.

3. 461 467

Pandora used to have a 40 hour limit a few years ago, and you could just pay 99 cents for unlimited time if you went over. So that's basically what I did.

I forgot about Pandora for a good year or so, and then when I signed into my account again, there was no mention anywhere of the 40 hour limit, and I noticed that there was no longer a 2 song per-hour limit on how many times a station would play a song by a specific artist. And there wasn't a limit on the number of times you could skip music, either.

I guess now they are going back to the limits they previously had.