1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books That Had A Huge Impact On You

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by izzyblue1456, Mar 7, 2013.

1. izzyblue1456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im a lover of all books and am constantly on the hunt for books that would have that wow moment when you finish them. Is there any recommendations from anyone that had that feeling when finishing a book.

2. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I loved it. One of my top five books of all time, hands down. Have you seen the movie? I really liked it, but the book really puts the movie to shame :grin:.

3. FollowtheFreeman

Everyone and their mother had read Lord of the Flies, but still this book was absolutely amazing when I first read it. No other book has really captivated me since then.

4. disparaître

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan. It's maybe not his best work as far as prose goes, but beautiful nonetheless. "A purpose in life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whomever is around to be loved."

Also the Lilith's Brood series by Octavia E. Butler.

5. ioden

Escape from Freedom and Nicomachean Ethics. Practically they made me want to improve myself.

6. Harve

I know it's painfully corny, but The Perks Of Being A Wallflower was pretty memorable (I was 15 when I read it shh).

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski.
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami.

8. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck

9. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

10. The Secret Island by Enid Blyton. Totally captured my imagination as a kid.

11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

A busy coffee shop-a robbery gone wrong. Two gunmen, nine hostages, flashing lights. And Zach is caught in the mayhem.

But nobody realizes that Zach-who has no gun and no knife-has a mind more dangerous than any weapon.

I read this book when I was 12 or 13. It's one of the best I've ever read.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are going to make fun of me: Harry Potter. That series defined how growing up should be to me-- not the magic, of course, but the interpersonal relations and coping with stress and grief. While I did have the benefit of loving parents (unlike our nearsighted hero), I feel like we can all learn a lot from how the characters dealt with things, especially as kids/young teenagers.

Also, Night by Elie Wiesel. You don't know how horrific the Holocaust really was until you've read his first-hand account. It wasn't just murder; it was hell on earth.

#12 Argentwing, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. Adarya

I have to say Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and also To Kill a Mockingbird; some of the classics.

But some other books that have also had a large effect on me have to be the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. They may not seem like all that important, but the characters and the ability to relate to them is phenomenal. The characters, their motivation, and their actions are all able to effect you so much.

14. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya, some might think that the Infernal Devices and Mortal Instruments can't have a huge effect, bur you're right, they are pretty amazing. The character connections between the two series themselves are quite genius XD

15. Speedster

Speedster Guest

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

I highly recommend it.

16. julia

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini times a million, and a million more.

17. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tuesday With Morrie and Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom both discuss faith and family, issues I've had my whole life involve both.

18. ioden

I forgot to mention Just Hit Send by Grasshopper. The CORNIEST and SAPPIEST book I've ever read in my whole life. But, it had a really great message about resilience and endurance that I live by.

#18 ioden, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  19. aeva

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I read it when I was just a little younger than the protagonist, who is raped and murdered at 14, and tells the story of the events following her death from a vantage point in Heaven. Because it's been so long since I first read it, I don't recall whether the impact the book had on me was because I identified with it in some way, or simply because it was a topic I'd never seen discussed in such depth, from such a unique perspective (the fact that I do not believe in an afterlife had no impact on my enjoyment of the story). Whatever the reason, it has remained one of my favorite books.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. My father and I have always had a tumultuous relationship, but The Hitchhikers Guide has always been a shared passion, one that transcended whatever issues we were dealing with at the time. I would read it to him all the time, and I would often fall asleep listening to the book on tape. Douglas Adams continues to be one of my favorite authors, both for fiction and non-fiction work, and it also continues to be a very common topic of conversation for me and my father, even though I no longer live with him.

There are quite a few books on philosophy that have impacted my way of thinking, but have not had the emotional value of the two above.

20. I Am Better Than Your Kids by Maddox. It taught me everything I ever needed to know.