1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rap, anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Batman, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sooooo, any of you guys into rap? I've never had anyone to discuss this genre with, and thought I'd give you guys a shot. (!!) Who do you all like? Favorite record label? Are you into the drugs and sex stuff, or the real raw stuff?

2. 4ever Hearth

I love Rap. I never really followed Record Labels since my favorite rappers were from all over the map(i.e: Biggie, Tupac, Left Eye, Mc Lyte, Missy Elliot, Nas, The Fugees, Lauryn Hill, etc.). The drugs stuff isn't my thing at all, sometimes I can deal with the sex stuff but mostly I prefer the "raw" genuine stuff like "One Mic" by Nas or "I Know I Can" also by Nas. I much prefer rap that tells a story worth hearing than most of the other stuff rap they solely play nowadays.

3. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very cool. Never heard of Lauryn Hill, but I'll check her out. Although I don't mind the drugs and sex rap, I definately love when there's a story involved, or even when you can just hear the full-out emotion in their voice. There's just something about being able to relate to what the artist's saying, that kicks the music experience up a whole notch or two. It's upsetting that rap kinda has a bad reputation, because I find it to be one of the greatest methods of story telling. Not to mention the great beats.

4. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up with a lot of the drug, money, and hoes kind of rap, and even if only through pure nostalgia, I'll still play that kind of stuff sometimes. Jay Z, Biggie will probably always be in my music collection. As an adult, I'm more interested in rappers that speak not just of their own experiences, but who try to tap into broader social issues. Lauryn Hill, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Common, The Roots, Nas. Its all good stuff. I also like Joey Bada$$... hmm I keep an open ear to it, a lot of my friends are real into rap and its all I hear when Im around them.

5. LiquidSwords

Yeah definitely. If you haven't already then check out Illmatic by Nas and 36 Chambers by Wu Tang, they're probably my favourite two records. Also Liquid Swords by GZA is frickin incredible, if you like Wu Tang then you have to check that out.

I love all the stuff DollarStore just said and I reckon you should get on to Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar which is right up there with my favourite albums.

Also, Joey Bada$$ is quality, him and Earl Sweatshirt are pretty much my favourite rappers right now.

[YOUTUBE]DDWAk8-leVA[/YOUTUBE]

6. tulman

Sorry, not my thing.

7. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Ya, I like to listen to dr dre, biggie, ice cube, Rick Ross, a little bit of Kendrick Lamar, and a little bit of ASAP rocky

8. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]DSVh8BNd_ps[/YOUTUBE] :thumbsup:

9. ameliawesome

yes, i do enjoy rap. honestly, sometimes the lyrics make me feel conflicted because i do not call women bitches and i do not condone violence and i do not love money, so it seems like i don't relate to rap at all haha. not all rap is about the same stuff, though. but i just love the way it sounds. i mostly prefer stoner rap, like wiz khalifa and snoop dogg and kid cudi. i also love busta rhymes' voice.

10. prism

How could no one have mentioned Eminem!?

I like rap that can tell a story. I'm so sick of the repetitive b.s. that gets played on the radio.

11. 4ever Hearth

I can't believe I forgot Eminem and Wu-Tang Clan, I used to have their game for playstation. :lol:

Also peep Method Man "Judgement Day." Definitely one of my favorites of his to this day.

#11 4ever Hearth, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  12. newgirl31

Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to f*ck with! Haha I love Kool Keith too!

13. BornInTexas

I'm not too into rap, but does KnowMads count? They're a rap group, I think, out of Seattle. They have some nice stuff. =D

14. 4ever Hearth

YES!!!! THIS ALL THE WAY! :thumbsup:

15. 4ever Hearth

Btw, for anyone overseas, I would love to know whats up with hip-hop where you are since I have run through my catalog like five times already :roflmao: I need some new ones.

16. Minx

Missy Elliot, and Lady Sovereign. :grin:

17. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loooove Missy Elliot, I loved her videos and how weird she took it.

18. Minx

I want a new album from her. :frowning2:

19. UndercoverGypsy

I guess I don't have anything against rap, but I only really listen to Rage Against the Machine (if that really counts as rap, it's sort of pseudo-metal-rap...)

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, although the majority of rap is like that, if you dig deep, you can find a lot of really meaningful rap; rap that discusses societal issues, or just tells great stories, but still with the wicked sound. Also, lot's of artists start out with the guns-bitches-and-drugs type of music, but progress into more sophisticated rap as time goes on. Examples: Tech N9ne, Eminem, Hopsin. The difference between their first tracks, and the stuff they lay now is totally crazy.

But I too, absolutely love the sound of rap. I love how the beats get stuck in you're brain, and you can't help but bob your head to the sound. Honestly, I could probably just listen to the bass lines of the songs, and still be pleased as punch. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 11:42 PM ----------

Definately. One thing that I love about Eminem, is that nowadays his music just seems so... intimate? Like when he talks about his family or Kim, you can't help but feel closer. Like what they're rapping about isn't just the standard fake shit.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 11:43 PM ----------

As soon as I saw those eyebrows, I completely lost it. :lol: