1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTV's show "Catfish"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hypnotico, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

Anyone here watched that show?

I've watched some episodes and I just cannot believe how someone could just have a relationship with someone they've never even Skyped with for years!! It's just crazy to me and sometimes the "catfish" would give really dumb excuses as to why they couldn't Skype/meet IRL and the duped person wouldn't think anything of it. Thoughts on the show?

2. sugarcubeigloo

I LOVE this show!

I honestly think people can be easily catfished. I think people will believe anything when someone is in your ear telling you what an amazing, beautiful person you are. I can't blame them too much. :slight_smile:

3. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

Good point but I'd have to Skype/meet IRL at some point, early in the "relationship".

4. samelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it's always amazing to me too how people have never even Skyped with someone who they claim is the love of their life...especially when their relationship has gone across the span of several years.

5. newgirl31

I love the show too! I think like with his movie, most of these start off like a friendship. You have this "friend" that seems really supportive and interested in what you are doing and how you feel. I could see have you might get sucked in before you realize it and then you might be emotionally invested and feel bad putting an ultimatum about using Skype out there.

After watching it, I totally would make them at least send pictures holding up a paper with my name early on. I would blame the show for my skepticism so I wouldn't sound like an asshole. Haha.

It is sad how many of them are dealing with sexuality and gender issues they aren't comfortable with revealing so it is a way to hide. That guy who thought he was dating a MtF trans girl they handled pretty compassionately for two straights guys.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You want weird? Try My Teenage Wedding (I think it's on Slice Network in Canada, not sure if it's in the USA). This couple who are both 19 dated online for two years, only met once, then decided to get married. She moved in with him on the other side of the country and then started realizing "oh you don't celebrate Christmas," "oh you're a hardcore vegetarian," the list goes on. Yet they still got married...I swear I give it about a week. Meaning they're likely broken up now.

7. Tiny Catastrophe

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but my friend was doing some research about the show and the movie and it's scripted. I think she said it has a little truth to it but for the most part it is scripted and it's kind of obvious it is just by watching it.

8. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

Yes, if I definitely find myself in that situation, I will be like- The Catfish show traumatized me!!:lol:

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

I think the movie was scripted but I don't think the show is, like maybe they make some stuff up to make it more appealing but I do think it's basically real.

9. newgirl31

I agree with Hypnotico..it has parts that are scripted or pushed for story/drama purposes. I have read articles saying this but it is mainly the inconsequential stuff..like the setup at the beginning. I guess some have said they were already out of touch with the person by the time they were contacted but still to go any real length of time in a catfish romantic relationship is intriguing to hear about.

'Catfish' Fake? Report Says Aspects of MTV Reality Show Not Very Truthful

10. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I've seen the movie Catfish but thats about it