1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomboy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by hiddenxrainbows, Mar 14, 2013.

1. hiddenxrainbows

Has anyone ever seen this movie? I watched it on netflix tonight, and had to read subtitles because it's French. It's such a good movie tho! It's about this little ten year old girl that moves and pretends to be a boy around her new group of friends. And I'm pretty sure she's trans. It's a good movie, but the end made me kinda sad.

2. Niko

My god I love that movie!
    Yes it's about a transboy. I could relate to him so much, I nearly cried during it, especially at the end. It was done so well. :slight_smile:

3. hiddenxrainbows

Ha yeah, it kinda reminded me of a trans friend I have. I wanted to cry when it was done. I didn't like the mom at all. She was a bitch. And I felt so bad for the poor kid, being outed like that.

4. GingerGuy

I saw it in an international film festival that happened in my city. I think everyone should see it, it's a great film. And yes, I also felt sorry for the kid, but we can't say that the ending wasn't realistic, or that the whole movie itself was. She wouldn't be able to keep that lie for very long. Still, it's good to see that a film that talks about transgendered children got quite successful around the world and got critical acclaim.

5. Fisnou

yep, saw it. It was great! I liked the fact that at the end the female friend, who found out the tomboy was actually a girl, asks her name as though meeting for the first time, which shows that she accepts the fact that she's a girl. Kids handle things so much more simply than adults.

6. hiddenxrainbows

Yeah, both of you are true. I know it's realistic, but it still makes me sad. Especially since I know a trans person personally. It's depressing that things aren't easier for trans people, because they definitely don't deserve to be treated the way they do.

I just wish that everyone treated others like kids do lol because a lot of the time, kids, at least the younger ones, treat their peers with more respect and acceptance than adults do. But that's prolly because they haven't "learned any better" yet >_>

7. Kay

Kay Guest

I think the title of the film is The Cement Garden

The Cement Garden (1993) - IMDb

It stars one of my favorite actors: Charlotte Gainsbourg

8. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    Kay that quote is from another movie, the plot is different (may be that's an answer to another question and I got it wrong reading fast.

Anyways back on the movie Tomboy. I loved that movie, really loved it, realistic, sad, it was very sad how the kid was outed, and yes what the mother did wasn't nice, but let me remind you the first outing the kid were the male kids because you can't kiss a girl beign a girl. I wonder if the director would consider to do a second part of the movie or something. It was very nice that at the end the girl accepted the kid, tho.