1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Classical Music??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RemyLeBeau, Mar 15, 2013.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Okay okay, so, my girlfriend LOVES music, and to sing and all that. She really likes all this classical stuff and sometimes just GUSHES all these words and terms and names that I don't even know how to pronounce and all these songs that I guess sound pretty but otherwise do nothing for me but make me fall asleep. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

The point is, I don't know JACK about any of this. G-Minor? Already lost. Chopin? Who the hell is that? OTHER than her favorite classical.... dude, I don't know.

I mean, I know the MAJOR stuff like Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King, or whatever, and that one song they use in the Monty Python opening credits, and that Beethoven wrote the one that goes "duhduhduhDAAAAAA" (Beethoven's Fifth, thank you V for Vendetta), AND some shit by Vivaldi since I was so desperate to "get it" that I listened to him for like 3 days straight (Four Seasons, I think Winter was my favorite?).

Pleaaaase someone tell me like, the basics and maybe direct me to some important songs? She's so glum and down most of the time and I'd like to at least know about the one thing that makes her happiest...

2. Bolin

Well, if you want popular (and mood lifting) pieces... :slight_smile:

Pachelbel - Canon in D-Major
    J.S. Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, Violin Concerto in E-Major, "Coffee" Cantata (she likes vocal pieces, and this vocal piece has a pretty funny story behind it. :3 ), "Air" on a G-String, Violin Partita in E-Major, Cello Suite in G-Major: Prelude
    Vivaldi - Concerto "alla rustica" in G-Major
    Mozart - Violin Concerto in G-Major, a lot of his piano sonatas are really light-hearted and happy, Eine kleine Nachtmusik, The Magic Flute
    *stays away from Beethoven*
    Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture, Piano Concerto in D, Nutcracker Suite

There are a lot more, and more ECers will probably add them, but those are good for lifting someone's spirits. :slight_smile:

#2 Bolin, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Ooooh, okay! I actually recognized the one song. Thank you!!

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You might try listening to a variety of composers and works to see what clicks. Libraries often have CD collections.

A fast Google search turned this site up which might help. If nothing else, it has information on who Chopin was!

5. Average Joe

A couple more pieces:

C. Debussy - Clair de lune
    G. Rossini - William Tell overture
    M. Ravel - Bolero
    F. Chopin - Eb Major nocturne
    S. Prokofiev - First symphony, Peter and the Wolf

You could also consider buying a guide on classical music. There's quite a few books available online.

6. Fisnou

Why don't you ask her questions and ask her to explain to you basic music theory? Ask her who her favorite composers are, listen to pieces together, etc. If I was dating someone and they didn't know a thing about music, being a music geek myself, I'd want her to be interested and ask me questions, take her to concerts and stuff.

If you want, I could ramble on about music theory and teach you stuff but I think you should let your girlfriend do that! :slight_smile:

7. Music Heals

I'm actually a huge fan of Mozart's Dies Irae, as well as Verdi's Dies Irae. They aren't exactly uplifting type pieces, but they're so dramatic I don't see how anyone could not like them! "Firebird" is also very unique and interesting. I'm not a huge fan of Mahler, so don't go seeking him out. Er, unless you like that kind of stuff. Beethoven is incredible, since he was deaf while writing so many of his major pieces. His ninth symphony is where the song "Ode to Joy" comes from, and that familiar bit may help you like the piece more. Carmena Burana is also an incredible opera, and the music from it is very dramatic and full. If you haven't guessed by now, I tend to favor dramatic and fast pieces :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Clearly, music geeks love talking about music! Ask your girlfriend questions, she'll love talking about everything, and explaining theory and things is something music people are dying to do! Here's some insanely basic theory stuff just to give a bit of an understanding. Piano is soft. Pianissimo is really quiet. Forte is loud. Fortissimo is loudest. Mezzo means middle. A through G are note names, and can be the names of the individual notes been playing, as well as describing the key. The key basically is a pattern of seven notes, and on a piano, every key is different. Ask your girlfriend to show you! Major is happy, minor is sad. Generally.

Go out and listen to some music! Ask your girlfriend lots of questions! Have fun!

8. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Pick up an issue of Gramophone

9. Just ask her to teach you about it! She clearly likes to talk about music so I'm sure she'd love it.

G-minor is a key signature. You may have heard the term "in key" or "out of key"; the key is sort of like the set of notes that are used in the music. Ish. Most classical pieces you'll hear will have a specific key signature, and the titles of the tracks often contain the key signature because they can be transposed to other keys, so they may be available in multiple keys. This is of course a simplified way to look at it.

This is music theory though and nothing to do with classical music specifically. Chopin is a composer. If you want to learn about something your lady says and don't want to ask, look up what she says on Wikipedia, or google it.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In many ways, I think there is merit in having your girlfriend teach you, as others have suggested. Although that does hinge very much on your girlfriend. Some people do enjoy teaching about a passion they have. Other people aren't so enthusiastic, don't have the patience, or whatever.

Even if having her teach you does not work out, showing interest is, I think, a good thing.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  12. kem

kem

chopin is my favourite composer, although I haven't listened to many. Op 18, Grande Valse Brillante is one of my favourites. Like somebody else said I think you should ask your girlfriend to teach you about it if she likes to talk about classical music.

Oh and you liked Vivaldi's Winter? I think I like Summer or Autumn the most.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tchaikovsky is pretty cool as well, especially the Violin parts in Swan Lake :slight_smile:

14. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

If you're bored by classical music, you'd probably do well to stay well away from the Baroque era...well *maybe* unless it's by Handel, but still.
    I'd even say to go for modern stuff that still falls under the symphonic catagory to start out with...
    Anything by John Mackey, like 'Foundry' and I think 'Asphault Cocktail' will be really loud and alive and brass-heavy.
    There's always film scores too. Anything by Danny Elfman is full of contrast and really interesting key signature clashes between sections. I'd recommend the opening theme for 'Sweeney Todd' and anything from 'Edward Scissorhands.' Also anything by a well-known film composer like Hanz Zimmer is bound to be immidiatley familiar unless you live under a rock...
    'Surpise Syphany' is a piece written by someone I can't remember specifically designed for audiences that are falling asleep. Might be worth checking out.
    If you're going to dive straight into the classics, I'd still say go one movement at a time. Even I can't sit and listen to all of 'Requiem' unless I'm actually at the performance.

15. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Thank you for the replies, guys. Once my life has settled into some normalacy I'll have to check all this stuff out! I suppose I could ask, but she's always said she's had a hard time explaining things...

16. Otsuke

Hey hey. I haven't really read this entire thread (haha shame on me). But what I can tell you is that you should begin with some Mozart Symphonies or other works such as sonatas or fantaisies. Also, try Chopin. His work is really great to explore, if you feel like something smooth, listen to some Nocturnes, if you want something funnier, go through the Waltzes, more action : polonaises ... Chopin is practically entirely pianistic, though. There's also Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E to which you could give a try, it is just so pleasant to listen to. Don't miss some Bach (Air on the G String, Violin Partitas, Goldberg Variations) ...

Actually, if you have any question, feel free to ask. I guess that I could be a really good help since I freshly received my Master from University of Ottawa with David Jalbert in Classical Piano. :wink:

J.