1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Movie or Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ecd123, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ecd123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does anyone have some good recommendations? I have yet to read any lesbian books, but I'd really like to.
    And I have watched a handful of lesbian movies but the endings are always sad (they break up, leave the other for their husband, is actually straight and it was a phase, one or both die).

I want to watch something that has a nice ending for once, or one where the circumstances aren't similar to "hetero woman with husband falls in love with best friend and has steamy lesbian affair." I'm tired of that storyline and I can predict how it ends before it's even over!

So...anyone have some good ones?? :icon_bigg

2. Tiny Catastrophe

Keeping You A Secret is my absolute favorite lesbian book and it's written by a lesbian author. It's a love story but it has a lot of other good situations in it.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fated Love by Radclyffe [2005]

Twenty-eight-year-old Quinn Maguire is a “dashing young trauma surgeon” who transfers from a top tier New York hospital to Philadelphia Medical College, a hospital that only seems to hire homos. Her new boss, ER Chief Honor Blake, believes that Quinn is hiding a deep dark secret because apparently there could be no other reason for someone to want to work at this particular hospital.

The sexual tension between Quinn and Honor is sparkish from the get-go. However, there are numerous obstacles on the path to make-out town.

4. zydrateaddict97

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Gardner is a really sweet novel about two teenagers falling in love, and the homophobia in 80s America.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For movies you should watch 'imagine me and you' that my favourite. If you dont mind it quite cheesy then there is 'But im a cheerleader' and another good one is 'I cant think straight'.

6. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen quite a few movies, and most of them don't have a very good ending. My favorite one by far is Imagine Me & You, which has a very good, happy ending! Also, Boys Don't Cry, even though that's not exactly a lesbian movie but close enough! That one's sad though.

There's also these:
    — Lost and Delirious (love this one!)
    — Loving Annabelle (love this one too but sad ending)
    — I Can't Think Straight
    — The World Unseen
    — Saving Face
    — The Gymnast
    — Desert Hearts
    — Elena Undone

7. gingerbreadcat

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, there! :slight_smile: For books, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you like unapologetic, good ol' romances (with at least a bit of sexy times) you always have the author Radclyffe. Meghan O'brien also writes books like that.

My favourite lesbian romance is "Jericho" by Ann McMan. It's a really wonderful read. The characters are genuinely endearing and the dialogue is snappy and witty. It was the first lesbian book I read so it kinda stuck with me.

Another book I loved was "Last Car to Annwn Station" by Michael Merriam. Urban fantasy.

Malinda Lo has also written a few books. Two of them are set in a fantasy world and another is a sci-fi thriller.

Oh, and I recently found this wonderful podcast. :slight_smile: They're really fun to listen to.

8. eatsleepclimb

When I was a confused eighth grader I found "keeping you a secret" in my school library and it changed my life! I could so easily relate to what Holland felt for Cece. Julie Ann peters is an amazing author :slight_smile: :slight_smile: "Annie on my mind" by nancy garden is older (1980s) but also amazing.

9. TheUglyBarnacle

I absolutely loved this book. Definitely recommended.