1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The importance of Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MerBear, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MerBear

Music is everything to me.

I don't know, if it has anything to do with it....but i took band for 4 years and absolutely HATED it....i couldn't stand it and haven't taken it since my freshman year but ever since then , my love and appreciation for music has grown...

Instrumental....i like it more than a song because you can feel the emotion within, you can hear all the sounds and the rhythm that comes with it and you can peacefully get lost into depending on the type of rhythm.

The piano, is a beautiful instrument but the Violin is amazing....it give me that sense to allow me to just fall into my thoughts and feel the emotion, i've felt all day.

such as this one.

Song From A Secret Garden - Violin & Piano - YouTube

God. is that beautiful or what?

I know some may not like instrumental as much as regular music with lyrics...but regardless.....music with lyrics gives me that sense to relate....to know, i'm not alone and instrumental lets me forget everything

so I must ask....

How important is music to you?
    i believe it's a element to life.

2. Ticklish Fish

you should ask this question to schools with cut funding who also cut music, special ed, and PE , and other things @_@

3. MerBear

well, i mean...i can't go around every single school you know?
    im just asking you guys really...

and my school is trying to cut funding for the music ....and sports but were doing fundraisers to save it

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Music got me and still gets me through the hard times in life. I don't know where I would be without it

5. BornInTexas

Music is everything my brain needs to keep stable. I listen to music if I am doing something important to concentrate. I listen to music to bring myself up from the 'bad' times. Music keeps me happy, and I dance. Without music dancing would be weird. Xd

6. izzyblue1456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't live without music. I would go insane. I listen to music as much as I can everywhere I go. The only time that I usually don't is when I'm reading but sometimes I do. Music keeps me in line and calm otherwise I have severe anxiety. I even have special treatment at work to and get to have the radio on while working.

7. Hopeful

I love music! Sometimes I get into a funk where I just don't listen to music and get sick of the songs I hear, but then I'll remember some amazing artist from when I was little or I'll feel motivated to sit down at the piano or take out my flute and I fall in love music all over again.

8. MerBear

its inspirational

9. castle walls

I love music! I don't play an instrument anymore but I love listening to music. I get this amazing feeling when I discover a really good song or band

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Music has been immeasurably helpful to me. It helps me calm down when I feel angry, it elevates my joy when I feel happy, and it has gotten me through the hardest times of my life in one piece. I would go so far as to say that music has saved my life. Literally. Back when I struggled with suicidal thoughts, there were a few times when I was feeling seriously suicidal, and then I listened to a certain song, and it convinced me to not do it.

I wouldn't be here if it weren't for music.

11. Cascade

This is going to sound odd, but music wasn't a large of my life until 2009. Sure, I played in band, but that was because it was fun. Until 2009 I never actively listened to music. And what do you know, 2009 is the year I started to really love life.

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Music means everything to me. It's how I express myself in every way and form.. from my bad days, to my good days. From creating music, to hearing others' inventions. I especially love instrumental music, for sometimes speaking louder than music with words. There's elements and moods that can translate with certain melodies, tones, notes and scales. Without music, I wouldn't have a job right now. I wouldn't have much of a meaning in life. Music has gotten me through some of the worst parts of my life thus far, and has helped me celebrate some of the best.

Music connects us in so many different forms. It's the most beautiful thing on this planet.

13. I find that instrumental music is often a little cheesy and soulless, especially soundtrack music, which is written for no purpose other than to accompany film. It is written to brief. Most pop music is not written by the artist, or if it is, the music is changed by record producers and labels, so that lacks a lot of soul too.

I find that the most genuine and heartfelt music comes from singer-songwriters on independant labels or underground producers. As a bit of an audio geek, I get bored of the sound of instruments, and I actually do find synthesis and electronic music more beautiful. It shows what we can really do with sound, how we can manipulate the world around us as much as possible to create things that have never existed before.

I also think that drugs allow people to present their feelings undistracted. If someone's feeling very happy, they might write a song about love. If they're upset, they might write a song about breakup or divorce. It doesn't mean that is genuinely how they feel, just that it's generally representative of their mood at the time. Someone who's uninhibited due to alcohol or drugs can be a lot more honest and do not have the limitations caused by the 'rules' we've all created of how music should be or what it should be about.

Musicians have to be very down to earth and real to get my attention. I'm incredibly picky and I only listen to the absolute highest quality music.

14. MerBear

i find instrumental....beautiful....it touches me dearly....
    soundtracks, yeah but i still love it

15. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's one of the most important things in the world to me! It gave me a purpose in life and has gotten me through the toughest times in my life. I can't imagine where I'd be if I never started playing and listening to music...

16. Music is my way of escaping the world for a few minutes at a time. When you find the right artist, and you're in the right mood, music has the power to make you feel whatever the artist felt when he/she wrote it.
    It is one of the greatest sources of pain in my life that I lack musical ability and talent. Doesn't mean I cant appreciate it though.
    Flyalone45, you remind me of my friend Hannah, she feels just as strongly about music as you do.

17. kem

kem

I couldn't live without music. It's not everything to me, but it's a very huge part of my life. It pains me that I'm unable to express myself musically, because I love singing and I'd like to compose songs. Maybe some day I'll study music theory...

Here's an excellent (mostly) instrumental album:
    Popol Vuh-Hosianna Mantra - YouTube

18. Renge

Without music, the world would be lonely..

19. MerBear

20. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really love music, it's almost everything for me. Without it... I wouldn't be alive now. It fills me with joy, makes me feel like I can accomplish anything. Makes me feel... worthy and strong!

I was first drawn to lyric music, but eventually grew to like instrumental music even more. Especially things like film or game scores and classical music (not all though. Classical is one hell of an enormous genre)
    I think it's awesome you gave the link to one of BruhunVille's songs, I truly love hers (and Adrians) music <3 *has to resist the urge to spam you with a thousand links*
    You also HAVE to check out the Piano Guys, they are terrific!!! (they do great instrumental covers, in an original way. The vids are worth watching also!)

Anyway, recently I've also started taking up piano, which was a long-term dream of me, and I LOVE it! I'm so excited! Finally all those 'difficult' things make sense to me, finally I can lose myself in hours of pure sound strung together, finally I can feel like I AM the music, create it, be one with it, let it flow from my hands. It's such an empowering feeling. When I play, even though I still have a lot to learn, I feel like I can do anything. I feel that I can make my dreams come true, that I can be true to myself and finally be truly happy inside out for once. I don't know what I would do if I went deaf. It's one of my biggest fears.

Music is life, or at least a part of it. An essential part! I, personally, couldn't live without it.

P.S. Morphim, if you WANT it, just take the leap and DO it! I have been meddling around it for years also, putting it off each time. But I cannot express how much happiness and energy it has brought me to pursue it. I finally feel like I'm capable of doing something, of following myself and my dreams. If you love it, it won't be that hard, really! It just requires patience, persistence, and a lot of love! :slight_smile: Good luck!!!

#20 WhiteRaven, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013