1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We Were Here (documentary on the AIDS epidemic in SF)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by greatwhale, Mar 22, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just finished watching "We Were Here", a documentary on the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco. Powerful stuff and an excellent description of what happened during those terrible years between 1981 and the early 90s.

Some random observations:

What tremendous contribution our lesbian sisters undertook to help, despite the tensions that existed then between gays and lesbians, the mantra was "our boys are dying" and since their blood was the least likely to be infected, they organized numerous blood drives when the blood supply was at its lowest due to the epidemic.

At one point, 50% of the gay male population in SF was infected.

The father of a gay man who was infected and who was active in caring for his community asked him why he took such care for those around him who were stricken, "they aren't family", he said, the son answered, "no these are my family"

One nurse who cared for AIDS patients since the earliest and darkest days later started a clinic to run clinical trials on new study medications, she didn't know how to do this at first, and the regulations were less strict than they are now (I am in this field myself), but she managed to contribute to the advancement of knowledge that has finally culminated in the current effective, if chronic, therapies. My sister is alive because of this work.

It was noted how the community went from being carefree and somewhat wild, to humble, compassionate, organized and caring. The epidemic brought about honesty and consideration and a deeper feeling of brother- and sister-hood among the LGBT community.

It has struck some of the survivors, when they meet and sometimes fall in love with younger members of the LGBT community, that AIDS is no longer the defining struggle that it was for my generation.

Finally, there is still hope for an eventual cure or a vaccine. The work is still continuing.

2. 4ever Hearth

I have been trying my best to see that documentary. Where did you see it?

3. nikom87

Netflix has it if you have access to that.

That sounds intense and very powerful greatwhale, thank you for your observations. I look forward to watching it. It sounds like an important documentary to see.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Canada on the state-owned network: the CBC (documentaries)

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2013 at 10:47 PM ----------

I think every member of the LGBT community should see it, as part of one's education about the history of the community to which we all belong (whether joined to it recently like me, or like one of our venerable members here at EC, like Kay).

If people want to understand why people like me have been in the closet for so long, you need only look at such documentaries to understand the absolute fear that gripped us at the time.

5. 4ever Hearth

Ok. Thanks. I've been dieing to see this one and one about the war on drugs and the toll it has taken on the country. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of it.