1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hannibal TV series

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ardelia, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

As a fan of the films and the books, I'm really excited about this.
    Look at these few promos:
    [GVIDEO][YOUTUBE]Hannibal a killer reborn [/YOUTUBE][/GVIDEO]
    [GVIDEO][YOUTUBE]Hannibal ''sense of smell''[/YOUTUBE][/GVIDEO]
    Few photos for your delight:
    tumblr_mjj3z9jT0c1qayj1ko3_1280.jpg
    Mads Mikkelsen playing Dr.Hannibal Lecter
    thCAY8S5A3.jpg
    Mads Mikkelsen again
    hannibal-tv-hugh-dancy.jpg
    Hugh Dancy playing Will Graham
    tumblr_mj1xgeOEZ51qk7ytlo1_500.jpg

I hope someone is as excited as I am, or at least a little bit intrigued.
    The premiere starts at 21:55 April 4th NBC. For everyone else it starts on April 8th on AXN.

2. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Me too! It looks really exciting.

First Bates Motel, now this...I have so much to look forward to these next few months. :grin:

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only seen The Silence of the Lambs when it comes to Hannibal stuff, so I'm mostly in this for Bryan Fuller. His shows always get cancelled so I've got to watch it to give some support.

Plus it has a crapton of actors he's used before and it looks fantastic on its own. :slight_smile:

4. Bolin

I'm going to definitely watch it! I haven't seen any of the films because I'm too scared. :lol: But I think I'll be brave enough to watch the television series.

5. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

You shouldn't be afraid to watch those movies. They are beautiful and meaningful, and not scary in that ''jump out of you seat'' way.
    But of course as a fan of the books, I recommend them to everyone, and it's really the best of the literature in it's genre.

Anyways I'm glad you are all planning to watch the series.:icon_bigg

6. CTJ

CTJ

I absolutely love the Hannibal series, both book and film. I must admit though. i'm terrified to see the series. Mainly because, to me, Anthony Hopkins IS Hannibal Lector. I could put up with that guy who was in 'Rising' because Hopkins was too old to be in it, but i honestly don't think anyone else could even come close to his portrayal. He is afterall, the only actor who made me root for the homicidal cannibal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On a side note, the ending of 'Hannibal'. Which do you guys prefer? The ending of the book or the ending of the film? Personally, which is a rare thing, i think the ending of the film got it better than the ending of the book.

7. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Book ending all the way. Much better then that weird film ending. Well, I love film ending too, but the book version just rocks. (That's my explanation for now):lol:
    As for Dr.Hannibal Lecter portrayal, I don't see anyone as ultimate Hannibal Lecter, so I'm looking forward to the Mads Mikkelsen's take on it.
    At first I was concerned with Mads's looks, because I thought that he looks too menacing, but then I saw him in various trailers. He looks the part, and if acts as good enough, as my sister says he does, then we can be sure he'll do it right.

That's my take on it, and I have one question for you (or anyone else, who read the books, or just watched the movies).
    What's your favorite book and movie?
    I ask this because I can't decide which of the books is my favorite,(I love them all),
    and I'm really torn between The silence of the lambs and Hannibal, when it comes to the movies.

#7 Ardelia, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  8. CTJ

CTJ

Personally i prefer the book up until the ending, i think the film made more sense. I don't honestly believe that Starling could have fallen in love and gone off with Lector. I think it made much more sense in the film that Lector would rather hurt himself than her.

I can tell you that 'Rising' is definitely my least favourite book, you can tell that Harris didn't really want to write it. For me it is a toss up between 'Hannibal' and 'Red Dragon' for both film and book, i've never been able to choose between them. If it helps, i've seen 'Hannibal' more times than any of the others, its one of my comfort films when i'm ill (which makes me sound kinda weird haha)

9. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Personally i prefer the book up until the ending, i think the film made more sense. I don't honestly believe that Starling could have fallen in love and gone off with Lector. I think it made much more sense in the film that Lector would rather hurt himself than her.

I can tell you that 'Rising' is definitely my least favourite book, you can tell that Harris didn't really want to write it. For me it is a toss up between 'Hannibal' and 'Red Dragon' for both film and book, i've never been able to choose between them. If it helps, i've seen 'Hannibal' more times than any of the others, its one of my comfort films when i'm ill (which makes me sound kinda weird haha)[/QUOTE]

It's my comfort film too, just so you know it does not sound weird to me.:slight_smile:
    Ohh I almost forgot about Hannibal rising, it really looked and felt forced. I think I read somewhere that Thomas Harris was 'blackmailed' into writing it. Apparently late Dino De Laurentiss told Harris, that he'll made the prequel with or without him. That's maybe the reason Hannibal rising felt more like a rough sketch of the story, then well thought out book.

As for the notorious ending, I think it has an understated danger to it.
    Not just because they're both fugitives now, and there's no going back to the security of the FBI, or ''normal life'' so to speak. But because there is a possibility of Clarice ''waking up'', and realizing she made a mistake, or Hannibal getting bored of her and killing her. There are clues, even in The silence of the lambs that they are made for each other from their first meeting to the ''Some of our stars are the same'' letter.

Their love is more mature ''adult'' kind of love, then most love stories I've ever read.
    It's a respect, and honest admiration that brought them together, and I like that.
    Strangely enough the love story of cannibal and FBI agent is more realistic, getting to know someone's ''soul'' before falling for them kind of thing.

10. I thought it was a terrible idea (still do) but the involvement of Bryan Fuller made me want to watch it and it's been getting fantastic reviews, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

11. CTJ

CTJ

I heard this before the book came out and it kind of made me go into it already expecting it to be awful. It was by no means a terrible book, you could just tell that it felt forced.

This talk of Hannibal is making me want to go re-read my books now, i already have a sky high pile that i need to read! Damn you! You've made the pile four books taller now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know, since it's on a basic cable channel it will have to be kind of tame with the content. It's got some great people in it, but shows like this tend to get canceled quickly regardless of how good they are. Securing the rights to the Hannibal characters may have cost some real pennies though, so the network might be more willing to give it a chance if the ratings start to drop off. I'll give it a chance though.

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2013 at 02:56 PM ----------

Oh NBC, you've broken my heart so many times :tears:

13. bre16017

Le Chiffre! Sinister.

14. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

I dunno...I'm really tentative about it. I've read and listened to 'Silence of the Lambs,' 'Hannibal,' 'Red Dragon' and 'Hannibal Rising' several times each. My mother just recently forced me to watch the 'Silence' film and I refuse to see 'Hannibal' (because Julianne Moore as Starling? Seriously???) I guess I'm just never sure about seeing film adaptations of novels. But the previews and whatnot they've leaked don't look all that bad...neither does the casting, I guess.