1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you believe the music charts?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by neverover, Mar 30, 2008.

1. neverover

i dont know, these days music charts dont seems to be relevant no more. many good songs tumbled down and even didnt make it to the top 10. but instead, some corny songs like soulja boy got in no1, few weeks in a row. well, i know the procedure of calculating charts points, but idk. its just doesnt feel right anymore.

2. Hepcat

I ignore the music charts. If I like a song I'll listen to it, if I don't I won't. At the moment I have no idea what songs are doing well on the charts and what aren't, I just can't be bothered keeping up with them.

3. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Same with Hepcat.. I just listen to what I like or just make my own music :slight_smile: lol

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Most of the music chart is based on how much the record companies pay for the position or how often a song is played on the radio. They are not just based on sales, as they used to be and should be.

I *think* the one on BBC Radio 1 is still sales-based only (so reasonably accurate) but I don't know as I never listen to that station, or any station that plays just today's music.

5. davo-man

I rarely listen to the radio, and only ever to listen to Hamish and Andy

I just listen to whatever is making me feel good at that point in time, for instance, at the moment, on my Favourites playlist I have only 1 song, out of 25, that is remotely current (Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) - Mika)

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My father used to work for a record company and he told me that they were all made up, as Paul said. So I don't pay attention to them.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do I believe them? Yes. As far as they go in determining which songs are selling/being played at any given point, I think they're fairly accurate.

Do I believe they're manipulated by outside forces? You bet. CBS/Sony was a big practitioner of what was called "flooding" in the 90s. They'd send record stores a small display along with CD singles, either for free or for pennies, for the store to put up next to the register. The stores would then sell the CD single for $1.99 (or so), and the sales history would help rocket the song up the chart. This helped songs by Mariah Carey (to pick one artist) that would've been mid-charters at best to shoot up to #1. Which of course increased airplay, and the cycle continued. :slight_smile:

And it's not a recent phenomenon. Brian Epstein (the Beatles manager) bought hundreds of copies of one of their first single, in order to nudge it into the British chart. And WAY back in the day, the big "countdown" show was "Your Hit Parade". Despite their assurances that their charts were based on "record sales, sheet music sales, jukebox play and radio play across the country", they actually were chosen by a conservative group of tobacco executives.

One reason they seem less "accurate" today, I think, is that popular culture has exploded. In the 50s, 70s, even through the beginning of the 90s, much of America shared a popular culture. (I'm sure this is true of other countries, although their culture may have varied from the US's.) Although there wasn't any one TV show that EVERYBODY watched, most people watched from the same small pool of shows. Even if you didn't watch The Cosby Show in the 80s, you were certainly aware of it. Even if you didn't buy Madonna's albums, you knew who she was, and probably could recognize her songs.

Now, with popular culture subdividing ("modern rock") and sub-subdividing ("emo"), there's a much greater variety of things to choose from. However, there are fewer people sharing the common experience. So it's easier to not only not be a fan of the #1 hits, but not even be aware of what the heck they are. I remember seeing a Billboard Pop chart from 1997, with Puff Daddy's "Can't Slow Me Down" at #1, and not having any clue what the song sounded like. And, at age 27, I couldn't remember that ever happening before.

Lex

8. Mick

Mick Guest

I might look at the music charts occasionally. Most of the stuff on the music charts really doesn't appeal to me. I haven't checked the music charts in a while.

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No!!

Because I think 'Taking Chances' should be right at the very top!!!

10. vinylsoda89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks to the internet,the music charts aren't really a fair representation of all the music people are listening to(especially that statistically the majortiy of people buying CDs are younger than 12 and older than 35). With the main demographic for the music industry being teens,and teens getting more and more of their music "pirated" off of downloading,the music charts are not an accurate take on whats really hapening. of course they track whats being played on the radio and what not,but that's not wahts being listened to,that's what is being broadcast and shown on TV. The charts are just another watchdog of how much money a label is willing to sink int their new IT group or artist.

i have never agreed with what has been popular anyways. The most popular music is often devoid of true meaning,artistic integrity,and interesting/different musicianship. What is at the top of the charts now a days likely has the most base and the least amount of shelf life.

i have opinions,people usually dont care for that.