1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cult Classics

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CrowAleron, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

Any cult fanatics out here? I'm not talking about "Jaws" and "Casablanca" I mean films that you mention and nobody knows what you're on about. Like
    The Crow (and sequels,) Repo! The Genetic Opera, Se7en, Boxing Helena, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Devil's Carnival, Clockwork Orange, Dead Alive, Evil Dead...
    I feel like the only one outside ComicCon and ACE...

2. Femmeme

I'm a HUGE fan of cult, exploitation and low budget horror! The weirder the better! It doesn't exactly jive with my feminist morals, but I've adored Women in Prison movies since I was a young girl. All the hot girl on girl action and the inevitable riot when the women rise up and defeat their opressors!

I haven't seen The Devil's Carnival yet but I love all the other movie you listed. Have you seen Mutant Girls Squad? I recently watched it and it was FAB! Norwegian Ninja is another great flick I recently saw, AMAZING!

3. Yui

Yui

What about This Is Spinal Tap? Does that count? :slight_smile:

4. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cannibal Holocaust will always be one of the most terrifying movies Ive ever seen, Id consider that a cult classic.
    Dead Man, does that count? Brilliant movie which many friends of mine have not heard about.

In general two of my favorite genres of film are documentaries and silent era films, so Im used to going on about movies which my friends havent heard about and think im nuts for loving so much :grin: )

5. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

Cannibal Hollocaust, man :thumbsup::eek: The director was charged for making a snuff film. I'm not a big movie fan 'til it comes to cult horror and silent films :grin:

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

I guess as much as 'Anvil: The Story of Anvil' or that one hallucinogenic film about The Doors does. I've never seen it myself, though.

6. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha well if we include the silents, then Metropolis. One of the greatest movies ever made. A lot of the german horror films of that era are incredible, but largely forgotten.

7. Femmeme

I <3 Metropolis.

DollaStoreSushi, I'd love a list of some of those silent German horror flicks. I loved Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Docotor Caligara and I'd love to see more movies in that genre!

Have you seen a movie called Dr. Calgari that was made in the late 80s early 90s? Incredibly strange flick, very worth seeing.

8. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

Yeah, I haven't seen any of those, but I want to now. Ever seen 'Cutting Moments'? Horror short film thing from '97 about an abused wife. Heavy on shock...
    'Alien(s)' and 'Silence of the Lambs' aren't cult classics really, but have epic female protagonists. 'May' from 2002 is more psychological and a little more obscure. Girl's a nut-job, but it's better than some scream-queen, IMO

9. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive never seen that, no. Sounds interesting though. The expressionist horror films I was thinking of are pretty much the ones you mention. The Golem is one id add to that. The Hands of Orlac. Genuine. (all on youtube)
    Not exactly a horror, more of a pyschological horror, is The Blue Angel. Not a silent either, but still a good Weimar era film.

10. Femmeme

Yeah, Alien(s) and Silence of the Lambs were both great movies. I haven't seen (or even heard of!) Cutting Moments but I'll add it to my To See list! Bug, starring Ashley Judd is a great psychological thriller/horror movie that deals with an abused woman, I HIGHLY recommend it.

May was brilliant! It has a sort of companion film called Roman that deals with similar subject manner and starred the guy that directed May while being directed by the girl that stars in May. It's kind of the Yang to May's Yin.

Woot! Cult film nerdery! (!)

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

I'll definitely be checking YouTube of those! Thanks!

11. nikom87

Hedwig and the Angry Inch count, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Rocky Horror, Evil Dead 1 & 2, and Army of Darkness.

I also liked Metropolis.

12. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Cannibal Holocaust is a nightmare. Fantastic film, but it always leaves me feeling awful. Damn Italian exploitation.

Cult classic is such a broad term. Within the category of cult/camp films, I've specialized and studied American avant-garde from the late forties (Kenneth Anger) to the early seventies (Paul Morrissey films).

Some of my favorite cult/camp classics are:
    Chelsea Girls (Warhol)
    Fireworks (Anger)
    Female Trouble (Waters)
    Trailer Town (Andrews)
    Flesh + Trash (Morrissey)

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2013 at 09:54 PM ----------

Also, any of the 80s No Wave stuff by Jarmusch is good.

Lynch made some good stuff too including the wonderful Twin Peaks.

Has anyone seen this: Men Behind the Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the movies that you listed here, besides Boxing, are some of my favorite movies. Especially Repo, which is my favorite movie of all time.

14. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Children at Play and Dolls are the only ones I can think of at the moment

15. UndercoverGypsy

Only if Stop Making Sense can, too. I don't see any tv shows, so, Freaks and Geeks! It has Seth Rogen, James Franco and Jason Segal.

16. Stripe101

I love George A. Romero movies. Most of his films are independent. He made the zombie for God sakes!

17. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What about Human Centipede? GOD that's all think I can think about now that movie is so sick. And then there's the sequel.. Ugh

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

And Clockwork Orange like mentioned, I have friends who want me to watch that.

18. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

The Misfits have a song about 'Boxing Helana" (and "Where Eagles Dare," and "The Planet of the Apes," and "Them," and "Plan 9 From Outer Space," and.......) It starts, "If I cut off your arms and I cut off your legs, would you still love me anyway?"
    Think Steven King's "Misery" kinda. This girl gets in a car crash in front of a surgeon's house and he proceeds to amputate her limbs.

19. UndercoverGypsy

The Misfits are awesome (once your singer has become known as the Elvis of punk, you're doing well). I'm pretty sure that Where Eagles Dare is a Maiden tune, though - it's on Piece of Mind. Might be a cover.

20. Femmeme

It's originally a Misfits song. They recorded it in 1979.