1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any songs you heard long before you knew their name?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Owen, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I actually have a playlist on iTunes of songs I heard long before I downloaded them. Here's a sample of the few dozen songs on it:
    Paint It, Black - Rolling Stones
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nivanna
    Only Time - Enya
    Killing Me Softly with His Song - Fugees
    Runnin' (Dying to Live) - 2Pac

2. JSG

JSG Guest

It's Oh So Quiet -- Björk
    Bitter Sweet Symphony -- The Verve

And most certainly others but it's late and can't think of anymore right now..

3. Paralyzer

I used to listen to the radio all the time hoping the dj would tell me the names of certain songs.. I forgot most of 'em but I can't forget:

E-Pro - Beck
    Jerk It Out - The Caesars

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a song on my playlist, an instrumental piece, that I still don't know the name of.

5. crimsonarcher

yeah, i had listened to Do As Infinity's "Shinjitsu No Uta" long before i ever actually knew anything about it.

6. davo-man

I had a song on my favourites playlist for, I reckon, more than a year (I got it off of my sis, who got it off a burnt CD, so there wasn't any artist or name). Anyway, I loved the song, adn could never find the name, esp cos it was popular so no one else knew it. Anyway, finally one of my computer literate friends told me that you could type in the lyrics into google to find the name, and voila, it was called It's All Vain by Magnolia...It's an awesome song if you care to check it out

On that story, I still refer to what I thought it was called (You Fall and I Rise) because that's what I remember it as in my head, therefore it's still called that in my itunes library

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah
    'To love you more' - Celine Dion
    I knew how it went but not what it was called, and it bugged me for aaaages.

8. CrimsonThunder

Definately and it happens still!

9. STK

STK Guest

Shinedown - 45
    Alice in Chains - Man in the Box

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many. Usually I just mangled the actual title. I remember my brother and I bopping up and down in the back seat of the car when we heard the song "Way Down South" come on the radio. It was a few years before we learned the song was actually "Lay Down Sally". I also remember hating a song that would pop on the radio from time to time. It had this dull, repetitive piano bit that I found horribly irritating. Ten years later, I found the name of the song - "Colour My World" by Chicago.

I saw a video on MTV soon after it signed on. (In 1981. Yes, I'm old.) I was positive the band was "The Dirty Looks", and the song was "Tailing You" - it almost couldn't be called anything else, as they said that line over and over. Despite only seeing the video maybe three times, the song stuck in my head. I could sing the chorus (sort of), and even remembered how the song ended. But I couldn't track down the song to save my life. Finally, about a year ago, they reissued all of Dirty Looks' work onto two CDs. Stuck on there is a song called "Tailin' Love". Why it's called that, I don't know, but that's the song, all right. Search over, and it only took twenty-six years. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Karma Chameleon - Culture Club

Heard it in Tesco one time and couldn't stop singing it. I eventually saw the video to it and was ashamed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

^ It was an early message Martin!

I heard "Making Love out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply several times on the radio before catching the name of the group.