1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Artists, Songs, and Genres?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by vhrebels, Apr 7, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I love rock and roll or pop music from the 50s and 60s, and my favorite artists are Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Chuck Berry, The Sonics, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and Jerry Lee Lewis. I also really like jazz like Henry Mancini or Herb Alpert. My all time favorite genre has to be garage rock though. My favorite song at the moment is probably sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny. It's a really cool steel guitar song that kind of has a doo-wop feel to it. It's awesome! So, what's yours?

#1 vhrebels, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  2. GlamKat

Rock and Roll, Metal, and a bit of Pop but it depends...
    I love love LOVE Adam Lambert to DEATH! He's amazing. Marilyn Manson, Black Veil Brides, Icon For Hire, and Metallica are cool too! :slight_smile: And I love Marianas Trench, Placebo, Nickleback, Tokio Hotel, Janet Jackson, Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, and Muse :slight_smile:
    Favorite songs are... Sleepwalker/ Better Than I Know Myself/ Underneath/ Can't Let You Go/ Cuckoo/ Shady/ Pop That Lock/ For Your Entertainment/ Strut ; Adam Lambert. Get Well; Icon For Hire. (s)AINT/ The Fight Song/ Disposable Teens/ The Death Song/ The Dope Show/ Coma White ; Marilyn Manson. Skinny Love ; Birdy. Human Connect To Human/ Humanoid/ Hey You/ Attention/ Forever Now/ Down On You/ Strange ; Tokio Hotel. Teenagers ; My Chemical Romance. Panic Station/ Starlight/ Supermassive Blackhole ; Muse.

Omg, that's like a whole essay there... haha... sorry! I can never pick one favorite!! There's still a ton more I'd be able to list haha! My favorites really depend on my mood.... except Adam Lambert songs; they're always my favorite :grin:

3. lawRAWR

I used to be a HUGE Michael Jackson fan, not so much anymore but he taught me a lot of morals :slight_smile: Uhm, now I am into rock; mostly pop punk and Alternative rock. I also really like Garage rock, especially The White Stripes! So: My Chemical Romance *sobs*, Paramore, You Me At Six, Green Day, The White Stripes, Jack White, Evanescence, Sleeping With Sirens, Black Veil Brides, Pierce The Veil.

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    folk punk & hardcore
    favs: johnny hobo & the freight trains, anarchist pizza siciety, dead kennedys, good clean fun, i could go on.

5. GlamKat

Omg I used to be obsessed with Michael Jackson too! Haha! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I had to comment on the MCR thing, it's too sad that they broke up :'(

6. Andane

Well, I used to be really into a lot of alternative rock (and I still do like it), but I gotta say my favorite genre now is probably ska. I absolutely love The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Streetlight Manifesto. Operation Ivy, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, and Goldfinger are also pretty good!

7. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Favourite genre(s)? Prog rock, prog metal, power metal, symphonic metal, similar sorts of metal. I love metal. Especially delightful 10-20+ minute prog epics. And concept albums. Mmm.

Artists/songs? Well...

2112 by Rush is probably my single favourite song ever, though I'll tend to prefer listening to other stuff depending on my mood. Other songs from Rush that I absolutely love include Natural Science, Cygnus X-1 (both parts), Clockwork Angels, Tom Sawyer, La Villa Strangiato, Freewill... pretty much everything up to and including the Grace Under Pressure album (plus Clockwork Angels). I haven't listened to any of their other 80's/90's stuff yet, though. I also totally have a crush on Geddy Lee, but shh (have you seen what those fingers do this his bass? I want those fingers D:slight_smile:.

Dream Theater is also a favourite. First band I ever saw live, just last year. Bridges in the Sky, Metropolis Pt. 1, In the Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany, Octavarium are all awesome. Mostly listen to DT for the awesome musicianship and amzing sound, but they have a few songs that get to me emotionally, too, like Far From Heaven and Beneath the Surface.

Other bands that get honourable mentions include Symphony X, Kamelot, Epica, Mutiny Within, Porcupine Tree, Speaking to Stones, Imminent Sonic Destruction, Kingcrow, and Opeth.

For non-metal acts, Tim Minchin is definitely at the top. Sure, he's a comedian, but he's a musical comedian, and I absolutely adore him and his music and wit and lyrics and piano playing and hair and everything.

Right now, though, my overall favourite band is definitely Pain of Salvation. Musically, they are so incredibly awesome and diverse and talented, and holy crap can Gildenlow sing. But the reason they're at the top for me is their lyrics - for me they have so many songs that are just emotionally powerful and relatable and they just help me deal with all of the shit I have going on in my head. The Perfect Element Pt. 1 is my favourite album and I love every song on it to death, plus tracks from other albums like Undertow, Fandango, Second Love, Iter Impius, Oblivion Ocean, Enter Rain. I'd be in such a worse place mentally (which is mildly frightening) if I hadn't started listening to them a few months ago. Get to see them live in a month, but ugh it's such a long wait.

8. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

My all time favourite musician is Michael Jackson! And I also love Fleetwood Mac. I'm obsessed with 80s music, and I love pop, hip hop, electronica, soft rock and ballads. Billie Jean is my fave song ever!

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My taste, favourite artists, and songs can't be defined in a couple of sentences. Let's say that I enjoy nearly everything with a good beat, riff, or rhythm. Not country or death metal, though (minus some Finnish metal such as Children of Bodom/Stam1na).

I've mostly been listening to a lot of Balam Acab, Grimes, Darius, and Breakbot... but I can shift from that to The Smiths, The Cure and David Bowie within the same week, day, or hour.

If you throw a tune at me that you enjoy, I'll most likely enjoy it too.

10. UndercoverGypsy

Rock, metal, alternative rock (mostly the 90s-ish stuff), and ska are what I listen to most. I agree with Oddish that anything that sounds good is good, regardless of genre.
    Lately, I've been listening to tons of Flaming Lips, Lou Reed, Bowie, Slayer, and Radiohead. The song I listen to most at the moment is probably Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell by Flaming Lips.

11. BlackSwan

I like:

-Rock: 80's; Metal (mostly sinphonic-gothic)= Nightwish, Epica, Therion, Diabulus in Musica, Kamelot, Theatre of Tragedy, Tarja, Leaves Eyes, Haggard; Lacunacoil, Guns n' roses, Metallica, AC-DC, Kiss... Linkin Park, Queen
    - and others like Hip-hop, a little of pop, R&B...
    Macklemore, Limp bizkit, Beyonce and soo many :lol:

12. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Probably anything but country.
    I'm a total music slut otherwise :grin:

13. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Artists: The Agonist, Draconian, Eluveitie, Omnia, Avril Lavinge, Theatres des Vampires, Kamelot, Faun, Within Temptation, Tristania, Eivør, Cradle of Filth, Epica, Evanescence, Theatre of Tragedy, Kerli, Therion, My Dying Bride, Emilie Autumn, Mandragora Scream

Genres: Gothic Metal, Symphonic Metal, Doom Metal, Romantic, Baroque, Folk Metal, Neo-Celt Folk, PaganFolk

Songs: way too fucking much >.>

14. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^^You listen to Avril Lavinge and Cradle of Filth!?!
    I thought I was all over the place, good for you.

15. returning

Fiona Apple!

16. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love soul, the blues, motown, jazz, funk, reggae and r&b. I have a pretty open ear for music though, and I listen to a lot of punk and rock and pop from my roommates and friends.

My list of favorites would include: The four tops, leadbelly, otis redding, nina simone, sun ra, billie holiday, ella fitzgerald, erykah badu, miles davis, etta james, parliment funkadelic, lee perry, mary j blige, the temptations, lauryn hill, amy winehouse, dillenger, junior murvin, burning spear, marvin gaye, bessie smith, sidney bechet, and a lot more, lol.

#16 TestingitOut, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  17. PinkFluff

Bandwise:
    Autopsy
    Hopsin
    Eminem
    Tech N9ne
    Cattle Decapitation
    Cannibal Corpse
    Aborted
    Dying Fetus
    Slayer
    Cryptopsy
    Death
    Gorgoroth
    Burzum
    Mayhem

Songwise: Perennial Quest, Symbolic, Crystal Mountain, Flesh and the Power It Holds, The Philosopher, In The Grip Of Winter, Seven Skulls, My Corpse Shall Rise, Every song from the Mental Funeral Album, Maze of Torment, Lifestalker, A Living Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat, From Womb to Waste, Deathcrush, Freezing Moon, and alot of others I probably can't recall right now.

18. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Post-Punk (Talking Heads, Joy Division, The Chameleons)
    Progressive Rock (King Crimson, Yes, Porcupine Tree)
    Post-Hardcore (Hum, Failure, At the Drive In)
    Grunge (The Melvins, Nirvana, Incubus)
    Sludge Metal (Old Man Gloom, Boris, Torche)
    Post-Rock (Tortoise, Satellite Lost, Slint, Polvo)
    Dub (Emergency Broadcast Network, DJ Spooky, Dan Warren)
    Jazz (John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Frank Zappa)

19. TheMightyBoosh

Marilyn Manson, Steel Panther, The Beatles, Elvis, Wasp, Cinderella, Andrew De Leon... I like lots

20. UndercoverGypsy

Another Talking Heads fan? Yay! Also, did you ever see the Melvan? It was The Melvins' tour bus, and Kurt painted all over it. It went on sale on ebay a couple months ago, but they decided not to sell it at the last minute.