1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V for Vendetta...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Half-Light, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Half-Light

The other day I rented the movie V for Vendetta and I have to say it is now my all-time favorite movie...I recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to either rent it or even buy it and I promise it won't disappoint you...I love this movie...the main character is a man named V who is out to get his revenge on parlament for what they did to him many years ago...He wears a Guy Foxx mask...and the other major character is a girl named Evey (Natalie Portman) who joins V in his plans to blow up the parlament building...
    The movie tackles issues of government and how the government turns on its people and how the people let this happen...it also deals with the discrimination of homosexuals, who in the movie are chosen for experimentationand eventually killed...so if you havn't seen this movie, you should...and if you have seen it, I would like to hear your reaction to the movie and if any of you love it as much as I do....

Half-Light (Alex)

2. step49x

I haven't seen it, yet, but I know there are a ton of people at my college who saw it and really liked it.

My roommate even had a movie poster from it.

3. three_wish35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    V Vendetta is my all time favorite movie as well. It's had a lasting impact on me since I first watched it. The plot is so thrilling. But more than that, it is based on history a lot more that you may realize.
    "V" wears a Guy Fawkes mask, and is infamous for his attempt to blow up the British Parliament in the 17th century, if I am not mistaken. But the story is also based on the ideas of totalitarianism, censorship, and above all facism. These themes can be basically summed up by one man-- Adolf Hitler. Whether or not the movie was partly based on this notorious character, it did remind me of him and his history. If you didn't know, Hitler not only hated Jews, but "imperfect" humans as well (homosexuals, being one of them). Throughout the history of literature and the media, different plays on Hitler and the thematic elements he brings along have been made. V Vendetta is no exception. I love the movie for its wit. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
    Enough of that. (I can't really quote any sources, by the way. You may ask my old sophomore History teacher.)
    In addition, the directors of the movie (they're brothers, I believe), were also the directors of The Matrix trilogy, a series that was based on a philosophical idea (Plato's theory of ideal forms and his Parable of The Cave). I mentioned this in case anyone was interested. I am such a dork.
    The End.

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Haha, no worries, Plato's cave metaphor in The Republic has to be one of my all time favorite metaphors...mostly because I can refer to it and actually sound intelligent :icon_bigg. But it's interesting because, if I'm not mistaken, it was originally Socrates' parable, but his name rarely comes up in conjunction with it.

Ok, we need to start a nerd club.

I have yet to see V for Vandetta actually, though it's my best friend's all time favorite movie. She was quite upset when Guy Fawkes day fell on a Saturday this year, so she couldn't wear the mask into school :lol:.

5. three_wish35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe that Socrates is hardly ever mentioned because he never wrote down any of philosophical ideas, findings, et al. If I am correct, he parallelled the notion of submitting an idea onto paper with an orphan child, to convey his idea that even after he was long dead, his ideas could never be misinterpreted as long as they weren't given the chance to be misinterpreted (by being written). Jeez. That was a run-on sentence. I hope you guys get the idea though n_n'

6. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

I have seen that and it was a really good movie, I enjoyed it a lot actually. It's been a while since I've watched it, maybe I should dig it out. Thanks for the idea ^_^

:thewave:

7. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never seen the movie, But I love the comic book it came from, I read it regularly just cos it's so good. My friend has a theory that V is gay, and thats why he was locked in the camp.

8. sillytea247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Seen it twice so far. Would gladly watch it many more times! X)

9. TheDarkerPoet

It's an excellent movie imo. One of my favorites, definitely. Raises a hella lot of moral questions. I love movies that really make you think about something, force you to see it in a different perspective.

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Count me as another person for whom V for Vendetta is his favorite movie. Fight Club comes close for me, and though I think Fight Club is a much better movie, I enjoy V for Vendetta more. I actually once thought to myself while rewatching V for Vendetta for the first time, "I want to watch this movie until I become sick of it." Thankfully, I didn't, but it shows you just how much I enjoy it. The dialog is well-written (the exchange between Evey and the fingermen in the beginning of the movie might be my favorite segment of dialog in any film), the cinematography is great, and the characters, though fairly lacking in dimension, are extremely well-acted.

I'm sure it was based on Hitler. In the graphic novel, the head bad-guy was named "Adam Susan"; the movie, he was named "Adam Sulter". Sound familiar? The novel was much more morally ambiguous than the movie, and I'm sure they changed it to make it more palatable for general audiences, to give them a clearly hero and a clearer villain. And what better way to say, "This is your bad guy," than to give him a name resembling history's favorite bad guy! If you think the movie raised a lot of questions, read the graphic novel. It's quite different from the movie (more bleak and more morally ambiguous), but not only does it shed light on a few lingering questions the movie never answers, it's also just a great read, and raises a lot more questions than the movie.

11. Connor22

I haven't watched it right through... I've sen it all but not in one sitting, I keep watching the start or the end and it's truly an EPIC movie and I loved it, especially that bit at the end with all of the thousands of people dressed as him march on London and the police just let them walk past

12. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have seen it twice. It has to be the one of the most awesome movies ever...!

13. DanteDreamscape

I've never been able to see the very very beginning,i always somehow miss the first ten minutes or so but i love this movie. It was very moving to me and the plot itself i found interesting,V of course i liked the most. Every time i watched the movie i couldnt help standing up around the ending where he fights all the bad guys and shout 'hell yea man kick ass! show them f*ckers whats what!'....im slightly embarrassed now..but still its awesome