1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some good gay-themed YA novels??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vikingbeard, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Vikingbeard

Vikingbeard Guest

Hi all,
    long while ago I got my hands on all the books from the Gay youth chronicles by Mark roeder, and well worth the money. I think its one of the best gay themed book series i'v ever laid my hands on. Extremely touching and inspiring storylines.
    Now that i'v read all his books i'v been trying to find some more similar books (predominantly aimed at gay male teens) and authors to read, with themes related to coming out etc
    Any ideas/suggestions?

I'd be grateful for any recommendations.
    Thanks a lot

2. LD579

* = recommended
    c = coming out themes

c Geography Club and its sequels, by Brent Hartinger
    Hero by Perry Moore
    * Masks series by Hayden Thorne
    c Alex Sanchez books
    Is He or Isn't He? by John Hall
    * m or f? by Lisa Papademetriou
    *c Love Drugged by James Klise

I also will say that The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone... unfortunately.

I will say this, regarding the books you've read... The Gay Youth Chronicles by Mark Roeder bear unfortunate implications much of the time (Usually, if not all the time in this series, its one slim boy plus one built boy... and... Guess who's on the bottom! Of course... Personality does not dictate sexual preferences). Also, he has an odd liking for making extremely tragic characters ('Casper' is a great example). I have lots of thoughts on his books, but... Well, maybe if you wish, we could talk about them, but I've only read two of them.

With that said, if you still enjoyed his books, you may enjoy these other books I've listed even more. Hero has been criticized, but it's entertaining, at least. Geography Club/I] and its sequels are funny and entertaining, but they may not withstand the test to close scrutinization (as most YA novels are wont to).

You may like some of Alex Sanchez's books, but... I found them quite juvenile.

One series I really like is called the Masks series, by Hayden Thorne. It's about an average guy caught up in a city of superheroes and... he's gay. He's not a hero, he's not a villain, he's an ordinary guy (teenager). It was very funny and entertaining and all.

Is He or Isn't He? was funny and entertaining... If you want a lighthearted book to read, this is one I'd recommend.

m or f? is even better than the one above. I highly recommend this one for its similar but stronger merits.

Love Drugged explores a question: if you could become straight, would you? It can't get any more blatant about themes of accepting your own sexuality... after a struggle. I highly recommend this one to you, personally.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm over the hill, but I've read some YA novels for various reasons. (One factor is that I have a "someday" plan of writing one.)

Unfortunately, the best YA books I've read have little or no LGBT connection.

My favorite LGBT YA novel is Absolutely, Positively Not by David LaRochelle. It's a coming out novel. No idea why I read it, but I'm glad I did--I found it hilarious.

I've also read Geography Club. That was inspired by the fact that Hartinger is a local writer. (Seattle area.) I think the book was a little ground breaking new, but probably not so much now. But it flows smoothly, and plot fits together pretty well. However, there is not a whole lot of depth--once you've read it, you've read it. The same, I guess, can be said for most books. Incidentally, there is a movie coming out based on the book.

I personally much prefer Hartinger's Grand and Humble, except that has only one minor gay character. I also like Chris Crutcher (another state author)--at least his early work. But as far as I know, he's only had minor gay characters.

I attempted reading one of the Sanchez books, probably because he got so much praise. Something about the writing style drove me absolutely crazy.

4. Bree

I enjoyed Alex Sanchez' books starting with Rainbow Boys for easy reading...and Mercedes Lackey's trilogy The Last Herald Mage is good for a gay lead in a fantasy story. I can't think of more off the top of my head.

5. tardiskitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd definitely reccomend any of David Levithan's books...Boy Meets Boy and Love is the Higher Law were both fantastic. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a copy of Wide Awake, about a gay Jewish man who runs for president

6. theJosephDean

Though you (OP) are male, Julie Anne Peters has written several coming out stories and gay stories about young lesbians (or lesbian romance in general). As I started to come out, I found them at a Barnes & Noble and read almost three chapters of Rage: a Love Story standing in the aisle. I highly recommend all of them.

7. biggayguy

Mercedes Lackey's Magic's Pawn trilogy. The first book brought me to tears. Several of her main characters are gay. She makes no apologies about it.