1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Catcher In The Rye?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by vhrebels, Apr 14, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Has anyone read The Catcher In The Rye? I read it 2 years ago for fun, and now were re reading it for school. This book is literally my favorite piece of literature of all time. I don't really read books in my free time, but when I heard about this book I knew that I had to read it. It's really interesting, and it's just about the only book that I've ever been assigned to read that had relateable characters. It's basically about this 16 year old that was kicked out of school in the 50s, and he has several days before his parents find out, so he just does whatever he wants for those two days. Has anyone else read it? If so, did you enjoy it?

2. TSN2012

I have read it and it is definitely one of my favorite books! The protagonist's character is very interesting and I definitely enjoyed it.

3. Dreamscale

I did enjoy it. It's not a heavy read, adorable and sometimes funny. I can't get over the way the main character speaks. Haha.
    Yeah, one of the best books!

4. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

Yay I read it and thought it was ok didn't really care to much for it, but my girlfriend at the time loves it. I'd say if you liked that then read Some Day This Pain Will Be Usefull to You by Peter Cameron

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like a lot of Salinger's works. Catcher in the Rye is probably my second favorite -- after A Perfect Day For Bananafish.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep I read it, I read it because I was intrigued by it's reputation, it was banned from a lot of high schools in America & it popped up in a few Conspiracy Theories Lol

I enjoyed it, being Dyslexic it took me a bit of time to get through it :slight_smile:

7. It's one of those books I respect but absolutely can't stand at all. I really don't like stream of conscious writing and I HATE Holden Caulfield with a passion.

Now it's not a bad book at all I see the merit in it and think it's well written (albeit in a style I don't like.) so don't take this as a personal attack on your taste.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly the school year I read the book was such a blur so I don't remember too much. I'll have to reread it again sometime.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Catcher In The Rye | WeNovel.com

10. That Kid

I Love that book! I can really relate to Holden and it's something that really helps me when I'm depressed.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It was an interesting read, but I detest Holden Caulfield. I find him to be an extremely whiny, depressing character. Somewhat contradictory because he's quite the "phony" himself. The only thing I liked about it was the writing style.

12. Sayu

Yeah, I've read it, it was good :slight_smile:

13. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love that book

14. Theodora

I know so many people who love that book but I hated it. :dry:
    Yes, especially the obnoxious protagonist.

15. LailaForbidden

I disliked it. Especially at the end of the book...the whining became too much. I could barely finish it because it was like nails on a chalkboard for me. *shudder*

16. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read this for the first time last year, and having enjoyed many of Salinger's other works I'd been looking forward to it. While I didn't mind Holden or the style, for some reason I felt very underwhelmed by it all the same [perhaps I waited too long to read it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:] but have to say I prefer his stories and novellas more.