1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite trans* movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nikom87, Apr 14, 2013.

1. nikom87

What are your favorite movies that have trans* characters or story lines?

My all-time favorite is Romeos. I also enjoy Hedwig and the Angry Inch and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

I saw Transamerica and Boys Don't Cry, both of which were good, but they made me sad.

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mulan's not trans, she's passing as male for social reasons instead of due to dysphoria.

3. Ashton

I think you've covered them all haha! If you want a really good show though then try My Transsexual Summer :slight_smile:

4. IrishEyes1989

Does To Wong Foo count? It's the one with Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo. Though, actually, I think they were drag queens in the film, so I don't know if that counts lol.

5. Just Jess

I agree to an extent, when I or most people say "trans" they are talking about gender identity.

Trans* with the asterix though would cover Mulan's situation. It covers anyone who doesn't stay within assigned gender roles, gender identity, or a binary sexed gender. Mulan is a trans* movie, because her gender expression is male.

My favorite trans* movie is Beautiful Boxer. I'm about to watch Gunhill Road.

6. photoguy93

It should count. I was going to say that. Even though it's 3 drag queens, it deals with a lot of the same issues (acceptance, support, being "different.")

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've only seen Boys Don't Cry.. shame on me. I cried so much during that film.

I need more suggestions here.

8. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I had no idea this was a genreā€¦

Mulan is the greatest movie of all time!

9. Just Jess

Wow, Gun Hill Road was hard to watch :cry:

10. nikom87

:frowning2: After you mentioned that one and Beautiful Boxer, I looked them up because I wasn't familiar with them. That one looked super intense! Why are so many trans-related movies so sad :frowning2: Why can't there be more light hearted ones?

11. Just Jess

Beautiful Boxer ended up being really happy. I almost need it as an antidote now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. IrishEyes1989

That's what I thought too, about the issues the movie dealt with :slight_smile:

13. Just Jess

You know what I thought about earlier, I didn't get into Deep Space 9, but Dax from that show was probably the first trans character I can remember seeing on regular TV. There might have been others.

14. nikom87

I have never heard of that; I'll look into it, thanks! I wonder if its like the US documentary series Transgeneration... That was enjoyable.

I had no idea that there was a trans character on Deep Space 9. It has been recommended to me by people before for other reasons. Thanks!