1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supanova - Australian Pop Culture Expo

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alex89, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Alex89

Today I went to Supanova for the first time in Brisbane. =) For those who don't know, it's an expo covering anime, games, sci-fi, comics and movies. It's held every year in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Anyway most people cosplay (ie: dress up as their favourite anime or game character) and it was amazing to see some of the effort they put into their costumes! The best (and the one that got the biggest cheer in the cosplay competition) was a full Master Chief suit (the main guy in Halo).

The 30-something guy had been making it for the last 6 months, entirely by hand. It was mostly metal and cloth for the joins, but it had working lights and everything. For the anime fans the favourites for dressing up seemed to be Death Note, Naruto and Bleach in that order. Someone even dressed up as the actual death note! Ie: they were inside a giant book walking around, haha.

I also managed to get heaps of free posters from the EB Games stand that have made my room in college a bit nicer.

There were a few guest stars there for autographs and the like, including James Kyson Lee who plays Ando in Heroes and Jewel Staite who's Kayley in Firefly / Serenity and a new character in Stargate Atlantis. Lou Ferrigno was there too, the original Hulk guy.

Anyway for anyone who lives in Brisbane or Melbourne I highly recommend you go next year, it's really awesome seeing everyone cosplaying and getting free stuff. =P