1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ms. Carey overtakes Elvis

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by alex0791, Apr 5, 2008.

1. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LATEST:

Pop diva MARIAH CAREY has become only the second artist to score 18 U.S. number one singles - beating the late ELVIS PRESLEY into third place. The singer's new song, "Touch My Body", surged up the Billboard Hot 100 countdown to take the top slot after being made available as a digital download. Carey has now claimed her 18th number one single, leaving her just two short of The Beatles' record. The "Heartbreaker" star was previously tied in second place with Presley - who topped the U.S. pop charts 17 times. But Carey, who celebrated the news while on a promotional tour in London, insists she could never compare herself to musical greats such as Presley and The Beatles; she's just pleased to still be enjoying success 18 years after releasing her first album. She says, "I really can never put myself in the category of people who have not only revolutionized music but also changed the world. That's a completely different era and time ... I'm just feeling really happy and grateful."

THANKS TO ANYONE HERE WHO DOWNLOADED THE SONG DIGITALLY!

2. Mick

Mick Guest

Congrats to Mariah Carey. I ain't a big fan of her's. However, I will be disappointed if she surpasses the Beatles.

3. Jeimuzu

How and why? I don't know anyone who particularly likes her!

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, come on, J. You've been over at "that other site". :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Jeimuzu

Yeah, and they're all more about Madonna and such... Everyone who seems to like her likes someone else way more.

6. Jerr

You do realize this is only on one list right? (The Hot 100)

AND

Elvis had two number one singles that came out before The Hot 100 came to be.

SO if we are talking total all together singles flat out that made it number one... I don't think she is even top 5.

7. waitingsucks

I think it's probably a lot easier for her than say the beatles and Elvis, mainly because there was soo much more competition in the 50s/60s but also because she spread all those number 1s over so many years.

It's a great achievement, but I'm sure people will remember Elvis and The Beatles for a lot longer

8. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, people always seem to degrade her... Of course she will never be as good as they were, and she admits it, she doesn't have the power of influence to change the musical world as they did, however, she is going to continue to write music because that's what she loves to do and she ONLY wants to entertain. She has also slammed critics for saying she only does music to get more famous. She wants everyone to know that she does it beacuse music is her savior and has always been her dream... But yeah... That's not the only chart she topped with the single, she also topped the Hot Digital Songs and this song is the 4th most downloaded song. But ANYWAYS, congrats to her.

9. Jerr

I just didn't like this thing because the Hot 100 thing only includes a genera yet people are making it seem like its the top of all time.

George Straight has like 40-50 some odd number one singles. (I was shocked)

Dolly has like 25.

And then I believe the Hot 100 should include Evlis' two songs that came out before The Top 100 came to be.

She is fantastic. I've always enjoyed her music but making this out to be a bigger achievement then what it really is just ruins the achievement for me.

For ignorant people who only listen to what people what them to hear... this is an amazing achievement having within the top 5 of number one singles.

But for those who aren't... it just makes it sound like a promotion scam. (Which is weird because she most def doesn't need it... she is good as is.)

10. davo-man

I find it interesting that we have this thread and then quite recently we had a thread by neverover I think that talked about how irrelevant the music charts are because they were all controlled by how much money the producers of th music were putting into the song

Regardless, that's quite an achievement. Congrats to her for doing that, although I also share the belief that the Beatles and Elvis will be remembered for longer (Although to be honest, I don't like most of their stuff; the only Beatles songs I like are Black Bird, 8 Days a Week (cos it was Turk and Carla's wedding song) and a few others, but not the majority of their songs)

Anyway, I am getting horribly off track, congrats to her, although I still think that the charts don't mean what they used to mean, if that makes sense

11. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OKAY FINE! You guys win! What she does isn't as good as The Beatles or Elvis! I GIVE IN! It was just supposed to be a congarts to her but NEVERMIND!

12. darkestknight

Ah, Mariah Carey's songs are one of my favourite ones.

I don't care if her songs overtakes Elvis or not - her music will be always be good.

My brother is a serious fan of the star. :grin:

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratz to Mariah Carey!! I really like her too.

To those non-Carey fans: Please, please have some respect!! You might not like her, but other people do!!! I think Mariah certainly deserves that achievement!!

14. Helen

Helen Guest

*reads the above post, and tries to stop the tirade of 'I HATE CAREY'*.

Um, well, I'm not the biggest fan of her music, but yeah, it's an achievement, well done her.

I still can't believe she beat the likes of Elvis feckin' Presley.

15. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

MARIAH CAREY I LOVE YOU! GO MIMI! =D. Congratz for you and still you look dam fine =]. I bet she has much more records to break and charts to top.

16. Jerr

Well The Top 100 doesn't count Elvis' two hit singles before this particular chart came to be, if it had then he would still be up there. Although I have no doubt in my mind she wouldn't continue with her music to get up to were she currently is again.

17. sexyalex

OUT WIHT THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW. DON'T BE HATTIN THE PLAYER PEOPLE!

Mariah is hotness central and she markets herself WELL. give props when it's due already. ACCORDING to the "Billboard top 100" which has been around for YEARS....before i was born! mariah out-do'ed elvis...

now i am Jamaican and idk much about Elvis but i see what a big of a deal red-necks make out of him. this is the industry, poeple come...people go. and right now Mariah is everyone's favourite person. maybe where u live...ur small little zone...no one is a big fan of mariah...but where i live
    ....*scoffs* I SEE PEOPLE WORSHIP HER LIKE A GODDESS. i mean come on...:dry: look at micheal jackson, my older step sister saw him in real life when she was a teen and she fainted....(or so my family tells me). Fact is, if she sees michel today she is not going to have that same reaction and i am very...VERY sure micheal was waaaay waaay much of a sucsessful singer than Elvis; maybe not accomplished, but sucsess.

congrats Mimi. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

18. Jerr

Who is "hattin" on Mariah? (What is "hattin" anyhow? Isn't a hat something you put on your head? So would "hattin" someone be putting a hat on them? Why would we do that? She has very pretty hair! Who is doing that in this thread? I see no mention of hats... Can you quote the mentioned hats? Please and thank you.)

I like her. I think her songs are good. I just also think it is a little ignorant to think this is the all time greatest achievement and compare her to others.

If you just said this makes her 18 number one single. That would be amazing, but to drag others into it on a Billboard that hasn't even been around as long as all of it's record holding members...

Basically it would be like saying I've finished in first on 18 of my games and that puts me in second on all time most first place finishes in my room in my chair on my computer.

The feet is amazing and deserving of recognition but the mention of everything else brings it down.

19. davo-man

Yes, her feet are amazing, she must have pedicures every day, I reckon. Oh, if only my feet where that hot. I reckon having hot feet is the way that danced her way into the Top 100 this time, don't you reckon Jerr?

(Sorry, Jerr, but you can't have that little joke at the start and not expect someone to pick up on the typo at the end hehe :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grin:)

20. Jerr

I would have felt HIGHLY insulted if you hadn't gotten me for that. I noticed it while I was rereading everything and was going to change it but then decided there were a plethora of foot related humor out there to be taken advantage of and it would be quite rude of me to ruin such an amazingly awesome-tastic opportunity. haha

Davo is one of my favorites for sure. (Pretty sure... not for fake but for sure.)

Still I'll say it again before I get blamed for "hattin" that Carey lady...

KUDOS FOR 18!!! THAT IS AMAZING! I LIKE YOUR MUSIC!