1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TED Talks and Vsauce

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TestingitOut, Apr 23, 2013.

1. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone watch either of these? I know, I know, Im sooo late in the game, but after being introduced to these programs last night I have been non stop watching them. Such interesting stuff.

Or if you like interesting short educational shows / youtubes / documentaries / whatevers, please share! Im hooked!

Vsauce
    TED Talks

One of the most interesting things Ive learned so far is that even though we have taught apes how to communicate with us (through sign language), and answered plenty of humans' questions, apparently... NO APE HAS EVER ASKED US A QUESTION! Now certainly many animals are very curious about humans and our motives, Id assume. But of the animals that we have taught how to communicate with us, apparently they answer questions, and dont ask them. Scientists (according to Vsauce) say that is because they are like human children of a certain stage in development, who do not realize that others may have information which they themselves do not already know.

Perhaps the science I heard was referring to a certain type of question, but my childhood sort of begs to differ - Koko the gorilla was my favorite thing in the world as a kid (and as a big kid even now), I had a book about Koko and her kitten. I seem to remember Koko asking for where her kitten was after it had died. But I dont know... I did some research (google) and apparently some in the field question whether Koko truly did have that level of communication that we all probably have learned, or if some of it was hoaxed!:eek: That would destroy my childhood if true, a bajillion times worse than learning the tooth fairy isnt real, but still I find it fascinating if that really is the case that no ape has asked a question of a human... and makes ME ask the question, what if we were to ask them why they do not ask us questions? Or directly ask, "do you have a question?" ..... but then again I certainly do not know much at all about the level and method we use to teach language, and then communicate with, animals outside of our own species.

2. 4ever Hearth

Yeah. I love those lectures. I watch them when I can. I think I've seen about seven thus far:

The first was on Perception.(Man)

The second was on Lieing in Modern Society.(Woman)

I can't recall three and four but....

The fifth was on the Capability of Evil in People, or something to that degree.(Man)

The sixth was on How telling one Perspective solely, leads to the death of many others.(Woman)

And the seventh was on How kids/teens like to be very much active in their own education. Basically saying that they aren't incapable, they just need to be interested. (Woman)

When I really think about it, I have like five others I can't recall as well excluding three and four.

3. I freaking Love TEDtalks.

4. 4ever Hearth

As for the lack of communication from Apes, maybe they're just like "Screw those sadiddy a** cousins of our's. We already know the secrets to life, :***:." :roflmao:

On a serious note, I wish I could tell you. I find it fascinating the idea that an animal would be able to relay it's thoughts and feelings to us. Hell, maybe thats what we need to save the world. :thumbsup:

5. Rexmond

We were suppose to be doing a Film Study class at school, but because our teacher is a huge philosophy fan, he makes us watch Vsauce's videos. I find them interesting, and will probably watch a lot more when I get some free time. I wish we'd actually watch films though, lol.

6. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I LOVE TedTalks! If you have an Apple device, you can subscribe to the podcast for free, and I love listening to them on the way to school!