1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing taste in music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JPC, Apr 24, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

My taste in music constantly changes. I go through a different phase nearly every year. A few years ago I really liked all the kind of pop music that's always on the radio, then last year I really liked dance music. Now, I can't stand either of those and lately I really love more indie and rock music. I've deleted all the Black Eyed Peas, etc from my iPod and have filled it with Florence and the Machine, Kasabian, U2, Oasis, The Beatles, etc.

Does anybody else's taste in music change a lot?

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My music taste expands a lot, and I hasn't faced much of a change since i was younger. I used to listen to "angry" music, but I deleted most of it from my ipod.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to be really into pop, then got really into rap in middle school, then got really into rock in high school (with a focus on alternative rock). These days I listen to a lot of metal. I'm more eclectic than I used to be, though, in that I'll listen to any of the above depending on my mood, and much more. I think that's an improvement. :slight_smile:

4. FruitFly

Oh yes, frequently. I'm not really one who deletes music though, as I tend to cycle through my preferences I store everything in folders and listen to them as/when the mood takes me. There are times I'm in the mood for screaming vocals, and times where I'm in the mood for soothing instrumentals; my preferences have never really been fixed.

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm quite the opposite. Every single song on my playlist has and for all I know always will be house music. I can listen to other songs, but they just don't do it for me. Everybody's different though.

All the best.

6. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My music taste kind of started out as 'everything catchy on the radio', also including stuff like pop and techno (which I'm really not into anymore now), then expanded to rock, mainly classics/oldies/alternative/indie, lots of stuff from my dad. Around that core the rest expanded, eventually to modern rock and hard rock. For a long time the only thing I knew was 'rock'. That also expanded again though, with celtic/pagan/folk music (think Omnia and Faun), instrumental/orchestral music, and eventually even till classical. (I really LOVE the Piano Guys, they do classical music in a 'new' -I wouldn't say modern- way, and modern music in a classical way. Check them out!). I also really like game/film music.
    But if you analyze my taste of music it actually includes almost everything which is nicely melodic and not too much 'beat based' like rap. Also do I appreciate good lyrics and if the artists have love and dedication for their music, rather than only money driving them.
    I like rocking out, headbanging, going completely wild, sometimes, but I also like drowning in beautiful, intricate, touching melodies.
    Now my taste has -mostly- settled though. That doesn't mean I won't ever discover something new and amazing again.

7. JPC

JPC Guest

I just listened to a few of their songs on youtube and they're amazing. I'm listening to this one right now Titanium / Pavane (Piano/Cello Cover) - David Guetta / Faure - ThePianoGuys - YouTube and it's pretty incredible. Thanks for telling us about them!

8. Harve

This has just given me déjà vu.

I listen to way less psychedelic/folk music now and way more pure-pop/chart music. But I'm convinced that's because pop music is getting better and the charts from 2009ish still sound as wank as ever.

9. I bounce around but I never delete anything

In the last six months or so I've gone through different phases of blues, jazz, punk, alt-rock, hard rock, pop and keltic music of all things.

Of course with all of those Bob Dylan, Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen never leave my player.

10. julia

Ugh, yes definitely. And it's actually really annoying because then whenever certain artsits come up on my itunes shuttle i immediately skip them. But then I start to like them again after a year or so....haha.

11. Hefiel

My taste hasn't changed as much as it has expanded. I still listen to many of the same bands I've been listening for about 7 years now, but there's definitively a few genres that have added themselves to my "list" that I would not have otherwise enjoyed 7 years ago.

12. cita

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was twelve I really started to get into listening to music, as I was introduced by middle school tier nu-metal like Linkin Park and whatever. Evanescence. You know, the usual stuff. I joined a forum when I was fourteen, and after about a year of being there, I started to branch out my tastes, since the music boards of the forum were weirdly active and varied in some ways. It was The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, The White Stripes, etc.

Though even BEFORE all of that stuff, I first heard of Thrice through the game SSX3, and that was when I was about ten or eleven. They've probably remained one of my favorite musics for the longest out of everything I've listened to. Actually no, I KNOW they are.

After I moved, I started lurking /mu/ for a while and just picked up on whatever they listened to and it was kinda nice. Though shortly after that little spot of undefined and searching for solidity, my friends from the board I'd been on for years got me into tons of stuff like Sludge Metal and Stoner Rock. I've wanted to get into Hip-Hop more, though, and for a while, I was doing a decent job at introducing myself to it. Now it's just kind of "yeah this is good", then go back to listening to my Mastodon and Baroness :frowning2: