1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the movie Oblivion (spoiler alert!) - original concepts or just copied?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FemCasanova, Apr 25, 2013.

1. FemCasanova

So, I saw the movie Oblivion in the Cinema last night, and found myself thinking it was really more of a collection of Sci Fi themes/stuff than an original film.

• The music sounded like it came straight from the Mass Effect soundtrack. It was almost identical to one of the tracks there, which name I don`t recollect right now.

• The weapons looked like copied straight from the Mass Effect games

• The combat drones looked like taken from the KOTOR or the Fallout games. (my gf mentioned they also looked like the ones from Portal, we agreed these drones look a lot alike)

• A lot of the scenery seemed to have been copied straight from the Mass Effect games.

• The masks the scavengers wore looked very similar to those from the Predator movie.

• The gas-mask one looked like it came from the Borderlands games, arguably also Fall Out.

• The concept of the Tet -> Spoiler -> A giant AI machine travelling through the galaxy harvesting planets for water - sounded awfully familiar, like I have read/seen something with that exact thing, even having a name of it`s own. If anyone know where it`s from, please tell me, it`s driving me insane!

There were several other things, my GF and I was noticing and commenting on it all through the film!

Oh, yeah, and the main persons name is actually Jack Harper, which in the comic is revealed to be The Illusive Man`s real name :eusa_clap
    (Mass Effect, again!)

What the...? I hope this was on purpose, I wasn`t sure whether to hate it for all the copying, or love it as a tribute to all the other Sci Fi games and movies out there.

What do you guys think? Anyone disagreeing or noticed things I missed or forgot to write up?

Disclaimer: I have tried to keep mine spoiler free, but I cannot guarantee for the rest of the thread, so if you haven`t seen it and don`t want to get spoiled, I suggest you don`t read further :icon_wink

#1 FemCasanova, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. transporter76

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I saw it just last night and thot it was pretty good! I don't play Mass Effect, so I don't know anything about it. I also haven't read the graphic novel, so idk if the film follows the story closely or not.
    As for the Tet motif being copied, the only thing I can think of is Invasion of the Body Snatchers and that's a stretch.
    Really, it seems very hard these days to come up with something original.