1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Joey4, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Joey4

I saw it last Monday and I don't think I'm giving away any spoilers when I say, that scene where they're playing in Cincinnati.. I wept right in the theater. It really got to me.

Cincinnati was the hometown of one of Jackie's teammates. Of course, Jackie's teammates suffered through similar hardships for even being associated with a black player. The player whose hometown it was, upon hearing the slurs pelted at Jackie by his hometown crowd, walks up and puts his arm around Jackie in front of that crowd and thanks Jackie. When Jackie asks why, he replies, "for allowing me to show everyone who I am." ...meaning that he was accepting of black people.

I think what got to me is being worried about how I'll be received when everybody knows about who I am and seeing that it's possible to be accepted just struck me right there in the movie theater. One day soon I'll be a minority just like Jackie.

The movie is empowering. Everyone will enjoy it. If you're a baseball fan, you enjoy it two-fold.

2. RainbowMan

I've been meaning to see this. I'm a *huge* baseball fan, and really want to see it. Finding the time, on the other hand....

3. Joey4

I don't see a lot of movies in the theaters. This one I did, and all I have to say is find the time.

4. Cthulhu

I'm interested in this movie, especially how Harrison Ford plays as one of the greatest minds baseball ever had in Branch Rickey. Not only did he sign Jackie Robinson (who definitely deserved his own movie), but he also signed the Latin American superstar Roberto Clemente (a terrific human being and possibly deserving of his own film, as well), created the framework for the minor league system, pioneered statistical analysis of the game with a focus on on-base percentage and platoon effects (had Moneyball beat by multiple decades), and introduced the batting helmet.

5. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

A great movie loved it, @ Joey 4 I was thinking the same thing at that part

6. Joey4

^ it's pretty awesome how movie will do that to you.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved this movie. It's probably the first movie that hyped me up so much to see it, and it definitely lived up to the hype.