1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jazz

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RavioliFaceMan, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Just wondering if anyone here listens to jazz and can make any recommendations. I heard the shopkeeper at a local book shop playing it and it sounded great. I also recently started listening to Colin Stetson and love it. Suggestions?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Scott Joplin
    Duke Ellington
    Louis Armstrong
    Fats Waller
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Charlie Parker
    Billie Holiday
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Dinah Washington
    Sarah Vaughan
    Nina Simone

To name a few :slight_smile:

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have listened a bit. I am far from an expert.

One thing, though, that I think is worth pointing out: jazz is not a music. It's more like a family. Sort of like classical, which can cover a wide range from baroque to modern stuff that you need to be a musicologist to appreciate. Thus it's probably worth hearing a wide range to see what one likes and dislikes.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2013 at 08:33 AM ----------

Taking Dublin Boy's list, I'd subtract one name: Scott Joplin. Worth hearing, but he was technically ragtime, not jazz.

4. I feel that I might not have explained myself properly. What I've been listening to is modern, free-form, avant-garde kind of stuff.

[youtube]lK90kN871p8[/youtube]

5. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sun ra
    james chance

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]k9YJM2GCvk8[/YOUTUBE]

7. Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk are my favourites. Highly recommended.

8. 4ever Hearth

These definitely but you have to remember there are several different types of Jazz so I suggest that you do what I do when I want to hear it. Search Jazz styles on Google and they usually have the artist who performed said form.

For example: Koko Taylor sings a form of The Blues that's based in Louisiana. You should checkout her song "Voodoo Woman."

Also, Kermit Quinn "Evolve." He's not an singer from way back when but he sounds like it. A very old school jazz song though it was created in recent days.

"I Need A Dolla" by Aloe Blacc is another good one.

There's a song called "Green Eyes" by Erykah Badu. Since each verse is done in a different "era" of Jazz, it gives you a good taste of the genre. Most, if not all, of her songs have a Jazz influence. Specifically, listen to "Appletree." Love that one.

A rap group, not hardcore very much poetic, named Digable Planets made Jazz a heavy influence in their songs. Best Examples: "Cool Like Dat." and "It's Good To Be Here."

Finally, Erykah Badu, Mark Ronson, Mos Def and the Legendary, Mr. Ziggaboo Modeliste made a song together. On youtube it's called "Erykah Badu's Jazzy Tribute to New Orleans."

#8 4ever Hearth, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Other than some Jazz Fusion bands, I only like Doom Jazz like Bohren & Der Club Of Gore