1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for a short film, but nowhere to start

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by agonizingnose, Apr 30, 2013.

1. agonizingnose

Okay, so I want to make a film with camera techniques similar to that of Kill Bill, with the vibe of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Little speech, but most conversation just displayed muted, over dubbed with music. However I have no Idea where to start. I have no equipment, and do not know of anyone who does. And have little idea for the story line, I have no friends who want to act or anything and yeah. Ideas? ps. I know it's corny I suppose but everyone who helps out on this thread will be put in the credits. If you wish to not be noted just say so. Thankyou

2. SomeNights

Don't list me, but your best bet is to get a solid story first, then worry about everything else.

3. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well,
    For the actually screenplay, you'll want to use a program called Celtx, it will do all the formatting for you for how the screenplay need to look. As for needing help in writing it; go onto amazon and order a book called "Screenplay; writing the picture", by robin u. Russin and Willian Missiouri Downs.

4. JPC

JPC Guest

First of all, kudos for having the drive to do something like that at 14. It sounds pretty cool, have you looked into finding acting/theatre groups near where you live? That might be a good place to find people who would be willing to take part in it and they might be able to help you hash out a solid storyline and those groups sometimes have access to the necessary equipment.

5. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Idea1: Go to your local high school or community college who has a theater arts department. Tell the head of the department what you want to do. Maybe they will help.

Idea 2: If you have a pc/laptop, you should already have a movie maker program installed. Many yard sales or flea markets will have old video camera equipment for sale for less than $25. Just ask the seller to show you how to use the basic functions. Play around with the equipment yourself to learn how to hold the camera (no zooming in & out too much) & make small UTube vids for people to watch. Get their opinions & listen to constructive criticism.

Learning how to use the equipment & software takes a little while, but not too long. If you are tech-savy it should only take a couple days, or a weekend of playing around with it. You could even use the video function on your cell phone (if you have one) to make short shots of people having conversations (get their permission first); then splice the short shots together into a longer movie.

6. Sully

I love creative projects! I just lack follow through!

As others have stated, as idea needs a story, which needs the screenplay!

But what is the story! I did drama at school and I have a brain that tends to brim with ideas on this sort of stuff. To get those ideas flowing though you need stimulus material. Basically, you need ideas. Look at pictures, books, movies, life, EVERYTHING!

One thing that immediately comes to mind for something like this is the workplace. Workplace politics, bullying, colleagues and all the interactions between them, things that are so stupid in reality but quickly get blown out of proportion in the work place! For example, a saucy text is sent to wrong number, who sent it? Who slept with the boss? Why did the stupid hot girl suddenly get a promotion? With quick cuts from shot to shot can help symbolise the speed that these rumours travel at, fluorescent, white and unnatural lighting emphasises how fake that people can be to each other in the work place!

The possibilities are endless!

7. steelygreye

If you have an idea for making a film... you know, I can write pretty well, if you need a writer.

But that's a silly suggestion, because you probably would like to write the script to your own movie.

8. agonizingnose

Thankyou for stating it :grin: And no it's not silly, I tend to get mind blocks alot (like when I wrote a story about a nazi themed england crossed with dishonored.) so I will LOVE your help :grin:!

---------- Post added 3rd May 2013 at 01:09 PM ----------

Thanks I,m getting it now

---------- Post added 3rd May 2013 at 01:14 PM ----------

Okayes, so I've decided to cross Kill Bill, with Scott pilgrim, so maybe, Kill Scott?