1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love All Things Dark and Macabre

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FranklinK, May 3, 2013.

1. FranklinK

Beksinski painted some really creepy and dark paintings. Some people think he was having visions from hell. I think that the nightmares he was having are of the torture he was undergoing in his subconscious. The story behind his paintings is sad, but you have to admit he was one hell of an artist. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Sully

Wow! They're amazing! Makes you wonder about what was really going on in that mind!

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Very nice paintings!I love them

4. FranklinK

I know! The psychology behind it intrigues me as well. I find the pictures as fascinating as they are beautiful.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

They are creepy. I did like the last one though

6. FranklinK

He has a ton more - if you search his name in google images you can see a lot of them. I've got new favorites. I'll post a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Xochipilli

Chilling stuff!
    I'd love to have one of his pieces, but I'd also be afraid of it. xD
    The first one you posted would probably be my favorite.
    Followed by blue-eyed mouth entrance and lady on death horse.

8. FranklinK

I would totally own a few of them as well, but I would have to put them in one room where I can admire them for a minute and leave. It would be too much just to have one set up in a living space lol

9. Xochipilli

Yes! A macabre room. Certainly not the bedroom or kitchen. Oh God.

Beksinski's stuff kind of reminds me of Stephen Gammell's work, except way more tormented and not for children's literature.

10. FranklinK

Right?! I think there is a very intense beauty in Beksinski's work though

11. FruitFly

Oh wow, people who know of Beksinski! His work seems to be gaining in popularity, and he's certainly my favourite artist. The theories people have come up with in regards to what inspired his art are almost as fascinating as the art itself. As macabre as some of his pieces are, I find there's depth to it that many other artists lack, and I love the way he looked upon those who tried to evaluate his work, in fact I love this quote:

"It misses the point to ask me what scenes in my paintings 'mean'. Simply, I do not know, myself. Moreover, I am not at all interested in knowing."

I do have a few prints in my bedroom, and a few more that prior to moving had resided in the living room, I think they do a great job of showing how differently people perceive things. I also find the progression in his work interesting, while everyone pretty much knows him for his darker surrealism there's such a variety to the works he produced, and there's so much about Beksinski's own thoughts that I find incredibly fascinating, I love to have prints of his work in my main living space. His paintings in particular are beautiful, and the fact he never sought to attribute a meaning to them wonderful. I love that he simply created.

12. kylo

I've never heard of this guy before, but thank you so much for posting this! I love them. Especially the open mouth one. Will definitely be looking up more about him.

13. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Hellish visions indeed, and beautiful in its own peculiar way. The one with deformed lovers reminds me of Hans Bellmer´s work. Thank you for posting this.

14. Xochipilli

Well, I agree. :thumbsup:

15. lawRAWR

I have never really liked/appreciated art before but this... well this has certainly changed that. What I love about this is that there is so much detail to appreciate and I also like dark stuff aswell. Thanks for posting this, has changed my outlook on art :grin:

16. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've seen some of his work before, but never knew who the artist was. Really neat.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always admired the work of Dan Seagrave, along with HR Giger, Clive Barker, and probably a dozen other artists I never gotten the names of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. IrishEyes1989

Wow, these are some exquisite works of art. This is super random, but the very first one in your original post reminds me eerily of the scene in The Lion King when Mufasa dies after being trampled by the wildebeest stampede. The same kind of colouring and the tall skeleton-like figures are like the walls of the gorge. It's very haunting.

Even more disturbing is the picture with the woman's head on the chair. CREEEEEEPY.

19. UndercoverGypsy

I love this stuff. I don't know why, I'm really drawn to depressing and creepy stuff be it music, art or whatever...

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Cool images in this thread, the haunting eeriness has a certain charm to it!

Whenever I hear the word "macabre", I think of Saint-Saëns' "Danse Macabre", I think I'll go listen to that right now!