1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by soccergirl16, May 6, 2013.

1. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Complete harry potter nerd but i cant decide, which one's the best, anyone have a favorite?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I loved them all, they started of so innocent & became quite dark, got the whole set :slight_smile:

3. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha yes thy are quite amazing :grin:

4. Xochipilli

My favorite book was Order of the Phoenix. I was so let down when I saw the movie. It was all cooler in my mind. :lol:

5. Sayu

I am a biiiiiiig Potterhead! And I guess my three favourite books from the series are 1, 6 and 7 :slight_smile:

6. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha I actually liked the 5th movie but the 7th was probably one of my favorite books too :slight_smile:

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  8. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Loved the series, but don't like the title. The story was about more than one person. It needs a title that reflects that – like when Harry explains about fighting the Dark Lord in the 1st meeting/round up of the DA in OotP – “…most of that was just luck. I didn't know what I was doing half the time; I nearly always had help. Facing this stuff in real life is not like school. In school, if you make a mistake you can just try again tomorrow, but out there, when you're a second away from…” [trouble, you rely on the resources you have at hand – whether it’s wits, tools, people, or whatever.] I infered that last bit.

I like referring to the series as the United We Stand series … or UWS. Harry was part of a unit of people. If he didn't have supporters all those yrs, who knows if he would have had the courage or motivation to face his death like he did. He did it to protect his 'family' -- out of love. If he had no one to love (or loved him) he wouldn't have won.

I parallel the fight against old Voldy with the fight against ignorance & bigotry. Some of us have to die (there has been many & will be many more) – like in war – before proper change can happen. We are still fighting racism. Before I lived in TN, I wouldn’t have believed that racism was still so prevalent. Here it is like time has slowed down – I suspect the same goes for MS & many places in the deep US South.

I met a Dr. recently, also happens to be a farmer, who uses the N-word & many other racial slurs regularly. He gave me a job, but after 2 days I told him I couldn’t work for him anymore due to his constant bigoted attitude. It sucks, because I really need the money – but I can’t tolerate intolerance of any kind; even if it means I live on Mac&Cheese till I can move away from here. Although, if I move, I can’t influence change; I’m torn – could I influence them to change? I couldn’t influence my own family – how could I change strangers attitudes?

I don’t know what the right thing is anymore. Stay or go --- fight for what I believe is right, or move to a more open minded place? The Potter/UWS series inspires me to stay & fight – but it will be at the cost of my comfort; maybe even my life. For what? Can they change? I really don’t know.

Hagrid & Snape are my fav characters. I liked most of them, but those 2 had the kind of courage & conviction I want to have. They did what needed to be done & faced the consequences like champs. I admire that.

#8 Zel, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. hatterMfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I own all the books, as well as the movies. I've read the books, and since then have handed them down to my five year old cousin, so I could start a new tradition/generation - call it what you may. Granted, he may not be old enough to understand, or may never read them, but I read them so many times that they became my best friends.
    I have all the movies, but have never watched them, for the fact, that I refuse to see everything different, as I had read them.
    I will also remember them, and to me Hogwarts will always be more real to me than the District/Capital.

10. Shadowfang

Shadowfang Guest

My favorite is The Prisoner of Azkaban but that's probably because Lupins in it and he's one of my favorite characters other then Luna.

11. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Zel- I nvr thought about the title much but it's definitely a good point u make because there honestly wldnt be a story without any of the supporting characters, personally I love Luna and obviously Hermione and like the weasley twins. It's rly inspiring that u stood against intolerance like that, I honestly wldnt have had that kind of courage :slight_smile:

12. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't be too impressed sg16-- I'm older now. When I was your age I didn't have that kind of courage either. It takes time to develop -- although, some people seem to be born with it. It develps over time in most -- especially when you go through a lot of hardship. It gets to be like -- Enough Is Enough! I'm tired of the hate. I shouldn't say this, but it makes me not want to be here anymore. It can feel very lonely, even though there are supporters just a click away -- it isn't quite the same like they were with you in real time, real life.

Life could always be worse though. I keep in mind the 3rd world countries where fighting for tolerance is the least of their worries -- finding clean water & food is their priorities. My life is like a wonderful dream in comparison. Keeping my mind focused on the concrete stuff like 'what can I do right now in this moment to distract my mind from my problems?' The answer is always to reach out to someone else & try to help them. Forums like this are great for that. Then there are books to escape into:slight_smile:

13. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Prisoner of Azkaban is the best movie

14. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the Harry Potter series, I have all of the books and movies. I don't know what my favorite book would be, either Goblet of Fire or Deathly Hallows.

15. alwayshope11

My favorite book is ootp

16. caughtbywitness

I just quote Harry Potter all day.

"I'VE WAITED 12 YEARS FOR THIS SANDWICH MUM"

17. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lol yes I quote it all the time too

18. Emberstone

The books were titled properly, because at its core, the story revolves around harry for a reason, and that is the matter of his destiny in the fight against voldemort and his forces.

the fact that it is titled after the character for which the point of the story comes from doesnt deminish the fact that there are other characters active in the story.

In fact, jk rowling was genius for titling the books the way she did, because it helped create the brand recognition for the books, and later the movies.

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I read them as a young teen, but I've been meaning to re-read them all ever since I got to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter thing at Universal Orlando, I liked the butterbeer! Got an Olivander wand still sitting on my dresser haha. Haven't gotten around to re-reading them yet though.

I found this Russian female rip-off of Harry Potter called "Tanya Grotter" than I've been trying to get through, I don't know how it didn't get sued for copyright violations, it even uses the same cover style and font.

20. castle walls

Same here. I loved all of the books but I really enjoyed the Goblet of Fire and Deathly Hallows