1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need deep criticism

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Theagonist, May 6, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Go - Take me away from home
    Go - To only you I am bound
    Go - Show me magic unknown
    Go - My whispered tears you have found
    Go - With only you could I elope

Breath - Can you not see
    Breath - You said some words are swift
    Breath - Stay in this dream
    Breath - As we drift
    Breath - My true love is with me

Wait - By me your soul is laid
    Wait - You're beyond time
    Wait - My heart you have already claimed
    Wait - An Immaculate creature of sublime
    Wait - To You, Cernunnos I donate this quintrain

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll give criticism as deep as I can, for how short the poem is at least. :slight_smile:

Your repetition of one particular word is interesting. Is there any special meaning to Go, Breath, and Wait? Because I wasn't getting it, really. Changing "Breath" to "Breathe" would make it a bit clearer, because that's the verb form instead of the noun, and sounds more like you're talking to somebody. Even so though, I wasn't getting a lot of continuity. What exactly is going on here?

Your rhyme scheme is pretty good, but your word choice seemed fairly forced in order to fit in. What I mean mostly by that is that your meter is off. It's the hardest thing to try to explain over the internet, but your pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables should be consistent too to get a rhythmic sound to the words.

Example: Let's look at line 5, separated into syllables. "With on' ly you' could I' el ope'". Each syllable ended with a ' marks a stressed syllable. Since you have a rhythmic pattern of unstressed -> stressed, the line sounds nice. Other ones like "My whis' pered tears' you have found'" have that hiccup in it, because "you have" would have to be squished into one unstressed piece in order to fit the pattern. I hope you see sort of what I mean. :slight_smile:

And a few miscellaneous comments: For one, why is "Immaculate" capitalized? It's a normal adjective, unless I'm missing something. And 2, "sublime" is as well. To say something is "of sublime" doesn't make sense. If you want to keep that word, you could put the noun it's describing right before it, saying something like "An immaculate creature on skies sublime." Or, if you have no special connection to that word, change it to a similar-sounding ending that fits your rhyme well enough to keep.

I hope I haven't been too disorganized here, but I do like the idea. And that last line is great. :grin: I love poems which are written directly to a specific reader.

#2 Argentwing, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  3. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It was actually meant to be Breathe.. haha, wow I am a bad speller, and yeah I (kind of) understand the meter part... I just can never tell the difference between stressed and unstressed syllables