1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simpsons fans UNITE!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Candace, May 15, 2013.

1. Candace

This is a thread here to discuss a very very very awesome programme in my opinion. I grew up on this show and I'm surprised to see that it still on the air. I have some questions for the people who respond here:

1. How long have you been watching the Simpsons?
    2. Who is your favourite secondary character?
    3. Who is your favourite Simpsons family member?
    4. When do you think the Simpsons "jumped the shark". Will they ever be as funny as they were in the past?

My answers:

1. Since I was 8 years old. I'm almost 21 now.
    2. Either Dr. Nick or Ralph Wiggum
    3. Lisa!
    4. Season 12-13. It got kinda boring afterwards. The episodes now are average (to me) and the humour is quite different.

2. Dans le placard

I've been a Simpson fan since around the age of 8, which is when the BBC started airing the show (previously it had only ever been shown in the UK on satellite channel Sky 1 or available on VHS episode compilations). Part of my childhood/adolesence routine was to sit in front of the TV at 6pm every evening and watch The Simpsons on BBC 2 (usually always followed by stuff like Malcolm in the Middle and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air). I had a lot of the VHS episode compilations, and a lot of other merchandise (including the Cartoon Maker and Virtual Springfield CD Roms). I also went through a phase of buying The Simpsons comics. I think I've got a comics album at home still, actually. I have Seasons 1-9 on DVD, and I've been meaning to get Season 10 for some time. I've recently been watching Season 8 episodes on DVD; I had forgotten how insightful the Homer's Phonia episode was (I wanna work in a gay steel mill! :wink: ).

I would definitely call the 90s seasons as one of the best things created for American TV (if not the best), but I think that Seasons 11 onward have been hit or miss (and even Seasons 9 and 10 to a lesser extent). I don't really pay attention to the new episodes anymore as the animation seems stiffer (though equally a bit more polished) and there's not much left for them to cover. It really should end soon (maybe to an even 25?) as it wouldn't have harmed it to have ended its run ten years ago at the very least.

I think Bart was my favourite family member as a kid, but I would now consider Lisa my favourite family member as she's so easy to relate to. She's basically the only open-minded and intelligent person in a mad house, and this, along with her subsequent outsider status, has always made me find it easy to like her. After that, I'd relate to Bart the next, mainly because he was the bad boy I could only dream to be as a kid. :wink: I would say that Grandpa is my favourite secondary character as he's just a crazy old crank, followed by Principal Skinner and Mrs Krapabel for their delightfully contrasting ways (pompous/naive vs sassy/cynical). And of course, Itchy and Scratchy rock!

#2 Dans le placard, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. Candace

hahahahah! I love that episode (with John Waters). "Bart! Where did you get that Hawaiian shirt?!" "I don't know...it just kinda came out of the closet.." haahha :lol:

4. asmith6543

1. Since 1990
    2. Police Cheif Wiggam
    3. Homer
    4. Season 11

5. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been watching since about 2001 or whenever I started hanging out with my dad finally because it's his favorite show, and now I love it too. My favorite secondary character is definitely Ralph Wiggum and Homer is my favorite family character, and I'll agree season 11 is where it started to be just kinda funny most of the time.

6. Candace

Yay! another Ralph Wiggum fan!

"Hi, Lisa, Hi Principal Skinner, hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!"

"and the lowest grade in the class is..." "YAY! She's gonna say MY name!!"

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" :lol:

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I like men now!" :grin:

8. Candace

:roflmao:

9. Jacki

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I watch them since I saw the cinema movie which was about-... 2007?? I dont really remember... But, yeah, since i watched the movie im addicted to them!
    My fave character apart from the simpsons family is troy McClure (its sooo sad that he doesnt apper anymore... :frowning2:) and my fave family member is Maggie! She#s so cool! Espeacially in this future episodes, where she can talk theoretically but still isnt abble to say sth!! :grin: :grin:
    I dont realy know when the simpsons had their best times, but right now they arent this good as they used to be...
    And btw. who else also loooooves future-episodes of the simpsons?

10. Candace

Yeah! That's because Phil Hartman (the voice of Troy McClure) was murdered by his wife in May 1998. So tragic still :frowning2:. I liked his character as well! :grin:

11. Everythings coming up milhouse!
    I'm more of a former simpsons fan That show jumped the shark a while back it should have ended at the movie.

12. Candace

Same here! I think Milhouse is okay, but he is not as outlandish as Ralph Wiggum. I like the episode where Lisa tries to get Milhouse to send a love letter to Nelson, and winds up getting punched in the face and put into an ambulance! (Lisa's Date with Density)

13. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK--The first thing that made me laugh is that I consider myself as having grown up on the Simpsons, and I'm literally twice your age---42.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1. I've been watching since the show aired, although I can't remember when that was. I am old enough to remember when the show was considered bad for kids because Bart glorified being an under achiever.

2. Most definitely Ralph Wiggum.

3. So difficult to chose only one, but one I use a lot is from Chief Wiggum: "What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?" Second up: Ralph: "I sleep in a drawer."

4. Lisa, for sure. I'm basically her.

5. Don't know--I've drifted from watching the show. It just seemed to get dull a few years ago.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. How long have you been watching the Simpsons?
    2. Who is your favourite secondary character?
    3. Who is your favourite Simpsons family member?
    4. When do you think the Simpsons "jumped the shark". Will they ever be as funny as they were in the past?

1. 6? 5? I've been watching for YEARS. I'm 25 now.
    2. Ralph
    3. Lisa and Marge, they're tied.
    4. They still are.

15. justjade

1. I didn't start watching The Simpsons until last year, but I was instantly hooked. I just love it!

2. Mr. Burns! What a dick! XD
    I also really like the Spuckler family. They remind me so much of people around where I live.

3. Probably Bart. I loved the episode with Shepard Fairey. I also really like Lisa.

4. Haven't seen many of the older episodes, but I love all of the ones I've seen pretty equally. My favorite episode so far is the Christmas one set in the future.

16. ashweewoohoo

ashweewoohoo Guest

I LOVE THE SIMPSONS!!!!!

1. How long have they been on? Lol, I grew up watching the Simpsons. Soo pretty much my whole life. I'm 24 now. I remember when my mom didnt want us watching it cuz it was a "bad" show lol. I'm 24 and just fine lol.

2. Ralph is amazing! As well as Mrs. Krabapple.

3. BART!! All the way!

4. I haven't followed the new episodes in a looong time. I still watch when I can and I own a few seasons. Its not as great anymore. Still love it though!

The Simpsons will always be one of my favorite shows!

17. Candace

My mom used to think it was a bad show as well, and then she lightened up haha. And another Ralph fan. yay!!! :grin:

18. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I'm late on this, but this is definitely a thread I should reply to, lol!

1. How long have I watched?
    You know, it's amazing to think the Simpsons first aired in April of 1987 as a one minute, poorly animated sketch comedy skit on the Tracey Ullman Show. I was born later that year, and the show became full length in 1989, but I didn't watch it until I was probably 6 or 7. Even then, my sister was showing it to us and getting away with something, because my mom really didn't want us watching them at all, lol.

I started recording the Simpsons in 2002 and have never stopped. I own all the DVD sets and used to watch the show for literally hours each day. I don't do that so much anymore, but I certainly used to.

2. Favorite secondary character?
    Oh my goodness... no way I can answer this. Even though my username is Milhouse, he is not a sole favorite. I enjoy pretty much every secondary character the Simpsons have ever introduced. A big part of what makes the Simpsons so incredible is the plethora of interesting characters that can be found in the show outside of the main family. Special shout-outs to Lionel Hutz (a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez!), Moe, the Wiggums, doctors Riviera and Hibbert, Groundskeeper Willy, Skinner, McClure, Eleanor "Crazy Cat Lady" Abernathy, Apu, and the whole host of characters who make the show timeless.

3. Favorite Simpson?
    Again, I can't really answer here. They all fulfill very necessary character tropes. To take a favorite would be to show preference of a trope as apposed to the quality of the character itself, because they all are excellent for their needs. I must say though, I've always found Homer to be far-and-large the funniest and Lisa to be a perfect foil for his stupidity and illogical, irrational behavior.

4. When did it go downhill?
    ...Perhaps it's just because I'm such a huge fan of the show that I'm ignoring it, but I really don't feel like the show has jumped the shark. Sure, some things had to be phased out or changed over time, but I can find things worth appreciating in every episode I have ever watched, to the point where I wouldn't change the TV to anything else just because they were playing 'that episode.' I will admit that they aren't quite as consistently brilliant as they used to be back in their glory years, but I also feel it's still one of the best programs on television even in its current form. I will follow them as long as they keep making episodes. :slight_smile:

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been watching since I was a kid, Bart used to be my favorite now Ralph is.
    Favorite family member is Homer now. So, many times he has either found a pearl of wisdom in his foolishness or just made me fall off the chair laughing.

I don't think they've jumped the shark, they have some good episodes and some bad ones.

20. Ellesar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Was watching the Simpsons as early as I can remember in my childhood, but I stopped watching about 2 or 3 years ago when I stopped finding it funny.

2. Man there is not enough love for Hans Moleman, Gil and Professor Frink here. One of my favorite scenes is still,
    Prof. F: "I worked on a top secret project called Operation Hoyven-Maven."
    Marge: "Professor Frink?"
    Prof F: "Oh what gave it away was it the hoyven or the maven or that whole hoyven maven thing I do?"
    Marge: "It was the hoyven."

3. This is close but it's got to be Homer I think. Sure he could be a total buffoon but he also has a lot of heart. The "do it for her" Maggie collage at his work still gets me every time.

4. As I said I stopped watching about 2 or 3 years ago, but it was going downhill before that.

As a final note I friggin loved so many of the old songs this show did. The burlesque house, the stonecutters, In-a-gadda-da-vida(not Simpsons origional but I loved their version), the monorail, see my vest, Lisa's power plant strike song, the party posse, and the great musical clip show episode, "There is something worse and it really does blow, when a long running series does a cheesy clip show!". I'm sure there's some I've forgotten, but yeah I love the Simpsons songs.