1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sartoris, May 22, 2013.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I apologise if there are already other threads similar to this, but my intention is just to create a general, all-purpose thread for anyone to ask about specific books, authors or [in certain cases] editions that we're interested in getting into. Figure EC's community is large and diverse enough that someone may be familiar with any given work and can give useful information to help us decide on possible, future reading material. :slight_smile:

That being said.... After going to Barnes and Noble and browsing their selections yesterday, I was wondering if anyone could recommend particular translations/editions of any of Sophocles' plays? From my brief researching, the Bagg/Scully ones seem promising, but I don't know if they could be considered go-to ones or not.

2. caughtbywitness

Muahaha, this is where I come into my own. I have run a book forum for nearly 4 years and love books, mainly fictitious YA books but a mixture of a few odd things. Gimme a shout if you have anything in mind. I can't help with that niche however, I know very little about plays, sorry!

3. I'm reading Something Happened by Joseph Heller at the moment.

It's about an ordinary office worker digging deep into his life and his family and I can't make it sound interesting but it's one of the most pleasurable reads I've ever had. (He also wrote Catch-22 but I think I like this more.)

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    caught: That's fine, afterall the purpose of this thread is just to put questions out there in case anyone can assisst. Hopefully I can use your advice further on down the line [as I'm in one of those annoying periods where there's too much I want to read.] :lol:

Buzz: I've actually been curious about Something Happened for a long time, think it was after I'd read a review that Vonnegut did for it and was included in his book Palm Sunday. However, I actually haven't read Heller's work yet, despite having a copy of Catch-22 gathering dust....

5. I was struggling to decide wether I should read Something Happened or Big Sur by Jack Kerouac and it was the very same Vonnegut review that pushed me over to Something Happened.

If you like Vonnegut you'll most likely like Heller.

6. JPC

JPC Guest

I can't say I'm in any way familiar with Sophocles' plays. However, I would highly recommend reading a book called 'Purple Hibiscus' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I read it recently and thought it was fantastic.

7. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Buzz: Kind of funny I still remember that review, 'cause aside from that fact, I can't remember anything he actually said in it [it's been several years....] But that's good to know, hopefully I'll get around to my copy of Catch in the future and continue from there.

8. Allecto

I loved that book! Seconding the recommendation.

9. alwayshope11

Game of thrones ❤

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure about Sophocles plays, but I'd recommend Tolstoy's War and Peace and Anna Karenina to read sometime, they're great books, and really in depth.

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just want to clarify, I was intending more for people to ask about books, authors, etc. they were interested in reading and to get input from any members of the community familiar with them.

12. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just have to recommend the Skulduggery Pleasant series. They're my favourite books ever and are really good fun, as well as having great characters and story. I love a saga. :slight_smile:

13. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As of recently:
    Hush,Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick AND
    The Picture Of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

14. Candace

Robert Jordan books! :grin: there's literally 15-18 books in his series and each is around 700-800 pages. Judging by that, you'll be entertained for a while.

15. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My favorite author is Ursula K. Le Guin - I recommend The Dispossessed, A Fisherman of the Inland Sea, and The Birthday of the World.

I've read just about everything she's written - I'd love to hear some recommendations for what I should try next, if you're familiar with her writing.

16. Spurned

Spurned Guest

My overall favourite series of books is Harry Potter, but coming up close to that is The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot. 6 books but certainly a good read. The Twilight books are good also, but obviously the movies gave them a bad name. :icon_sad:

I've also been told The Perks of Being a Wallflower is hilarious and really great. I bought my copy on sale in Waterstones a few months ago, though my Mum and neighbour (who I refer to as Aunty) have read it before me since I was partway through a book on the kindle. But, my Mum took my Kindle so I think I'll start on it sometime.

I'm really not good with picking genres, I just pick what has an attractive front cover and an inviting blurb. :grin:

17. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably won't get around to him for some time [since I'm trying to finish with one book, continue with another and I've already checked out a third from the library :lol:] but in keeping with my earlier inquiry, I've been interested in reading plays again and in particular with getting back to Shakespeare.

As of now I've read or read in part: Hamlet, Henry V, Macbeth, Richard III and Romeo & Juliet. I've thought about rereading Macbeth since I loved that one back in high school, but wanted to know if anyone would suggest any of the others I've not read yet to get into?

18. Candace

That's how I am as well! If the cover looks good, then I will buy it hahaha. :grin:

19. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If anyone here has read it, is there a particular English translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses you could recommend?

I'm especially interested in either the Oxford Classics edition or the one by Allen Mandelbaum. From the sound of the latter, I'm leaning towards that [if I can get a copy,] though I have concerns about it's being relatively looser than other translations even if it's more lyrical.

And on a semi-related note, are there any particular works I should look into if I'm interested in Greco-Roman mythology? Whether classical or more modern.

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure if I will, but feel like getting Zola another shot in the near future. Tried reading Germinal back in high school but never came close to finishing it, mainly due to the length [though being an older, public domain translation probably didn't help much.]

Thinking of trying that out again, since my library has the, I believe, latest, Oxford World Classics edition. Would anyone who's read that edition recommend it?