1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones book people

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WillowMaiden, Jun 11, 2013.

1. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I just need to vent really quickly. This is mostly meant to be funny. Mainly, I'm just busting balls, but I also do believe there's truth in what I'm about to say.

You know...a lot of GoT book people are so annoying when it comes to their critiques of the show. Some of them aren't even really critiquing it anymore, but rather stating defiantly what happened exactly and on what fucking page it was, like "oh it's soooo disrespectful to the GRRM because what Jaime really said was bla bla and actually he did bla bla..." ...:confused: Who gives a fuck? I mean, goodness gracious. :rolle: We get it. You know "the real story," bla, bla, fucking bla. Congratulations, you're special. :eusa_clap

Now can you stop with the "but at the end of the 3rd book Fire Up a Dragon's Ass, this actually happened, wah, wah, wah. :tears:" Guess what, Game of Thrones isn't the books. It's the show based on the books. Based doesn't mean an exact replica because shows and books are two different mediums and will therefore have different styles of telling the same story. Christ, get over yourselves already. Bitching every five minutes because Ned really said "would you like some potatoes" not "would you like some cake?" God, shut up.

Okay, that's all I have to say about the annoying ones. I know not all book readers are like this, but there have been a lot that at every turn they're in someone's face acting like they hold a secret key to the city all because they read A Song of Fire and Ice. And it cracks me up that every time they mention book to show differences, they act like they're saying something so profound. Like yeah, no one figured that a 10 episode show might tell the story a little differently than a 300+ page novel, thank you so much book reader for letting me know that some of things I see are not "really" what happened. "I-I-it happened differently in the books? R-really? :jawdrop: Nooo! You gotta be kidding me book reader, say it ain't so!" ....:rolle:

Feel free to get a stick up your asses about what I said, if you feel so inclined. Just know that if you seriously get mad, then you're probably one of the annoying ones. C'mon, even you guys have to notice that some of your fellow book readers can be a little uppity.

It's okay though. Your behavior is annoying, but I still like you, uppity book readers. You're passionate. I like that in my fellow nerds/geeks. (*hug*)

#1 WillowMaiden, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  2. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

One of my friends pointed out that it's the same way with True Blood book people. You know, I notice it's also the same with UK TV show people whenever there's a remake of a UK show. The thing that annoys the hell out of me with the UK uppities is that they only talk shit about the US remakes (US entertainment industry at large) when sometimes there remakes in other places too, but somehow it's only a great sin and a great disrespect when "Hollywood" picks up a show. Which by the way, Hollywood doesn't fucking do everything. Not every new show and movie is made in or by Hollywood...do you even know where Hollywood is? I don't think some of them do. I think they just absorb other insults they heard from people and rehash them out like an original thought, as if a hundred other people didn't just say that. Tsk, tsk. :lol: I mean, they could at least try get the facts about whatever it is they're going to talk shit about before commencing with the shit talking, but alas shit talkers rarely do that. :lol:

And the kicker is that most of the assholes don't even watch the remake, they just shit on it because it's a remake. I'll never understand that level of annoyance at remakes because there's nothing a remake (or adaption) does to the original thing that a person loves. So if you don't like the idea of someone telling the same story, but with different people in a different place, don't fucking watch it. Your original isn't ruined by it, it's still there being just as great as you like it. They're separate entities. "Well, in the UK version, Ian didn't even suck Mickey's dick, he gave him a handjob, I mean if you're going to redo something at least do it right, wah, wah, wah." But you know what, though, I've actually heard that Shameless is kinda like GoT with the level of how much of the original stuff they use, and even then you have UK Shameless people going "what's the point of watching if the same as the UK version, I don't want to watch it if it's gonna be the same." Good! I don't fucking want to watch it no matter how they do because I know every time I go to discuss an episode, your ass if gonna be there telling everyone shit they already figured: that it didn't happen that way in the UK version or bitching that it did. Such profound knowledge, please tell me more. I never would have guessed.

What is the point of watching something that you're only going to study and cross reference instead of actually sit back and enjoy? How fun can constantly compare and contrasting something be for an hour? Whenever I hear there's a remake of a movie I love, most of the time I give one of these :rolle: and call it a day. I didn't watch the newer Fright Night and I didn't watch the newer Footloose, which is exactly why I can't shit all over the movies. Never seen 'em. Being a fan of the original doesn't make me special in some way, like they should have asked my permission before making the damn thing. So who am I to bitch about it? Who are you, original-centric annoying people? Who are you? :lol:

3. Very fun. I've had some pretty awesome nights sitting around with friends ragging on a movie or TV show that doesn't make sense. I can't explain why it's so much fun. It just is.

4. The reason why remakes get (rightfully) crapped on is because the original is perfectly fine. It doesn't NEED to be remade. It shows a total lack of originality when all you can do is just make the same thing but with different faces!

Make new things goddamn it! Stop with this endless stream of prequels sequels and remakes.

Also good lord, relax a bit! It's just TV and books.

5. Night Rain

Am I the only one who enjoys both the books and the show?

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't get what they're complaining about. From what I can tell, the books and the show are virtually identical. I think they aged up the Stark kids a couple years, and maybe reworded a few lines, but nothing plot-important.

Whereas the True Blood TV show starts out roughly like the books, and then quickly derails into something totally different and in my opinion a lot poorer quality.

7. Meropspusillus

Just a reminder to put things in spoilers that belong in spoilers.

That being said, there are quite a few differences between the books and shows. There are new characters, old characters have been cut. Some characters are completely different people. I try to enjoy the show and books as seperate entities, but there are just some things that just annoy me.

For instance
    Loras' scene with the whore annoyed me because it went again what I saw as fundamental to Loras' character. In the books he seemed to be very devoted to (the memory of) Renly (sprouting lines like "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it") Then they complicated Loras' story by making him an only child when he had two older brothers (which made his homosexuality even more of a non-issue to his family).
    . There are other changes that I like in the show (like the changes to the characters of Shae and Osha. I think it's okay to look at the show and think "That was a stupid change." As long as you don't wine about it too much.

8. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

:rolle: Oh jeez, please don't "good lord" me. I am relaxed, I'm just taking the piss out of what I see. I said right at the top that I was only busting balls. TV and books is my favorite pass time, so I make it rule not to get so upset at what other fans are doing or saying that I can't even enjoy my shit anymore, so dude, I'm not actually pissed out about it.

And as far as remakes and all, I totally agree new shit does need to be made. But I still don't think saying "the original is perfectly fine" does anything for the argument because a remake isn't disputing that fact. A remake doesn't do anything to the original, I mean how could it have a chance to with hundreds of people at every turn going "the original was better!!!" :lol: If a remake doesn't make people remember the original, those people sure will. And sometimes, it's not even the same thing with different faces, sometimes it's reworked at a completely different angle and people get pissed at that. My point is not to tell people to stop feeling this way because that would be stupid. I realize that not everyone can be pleased and all that jazz. I'm just making an observation.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2013 at 03:44 PM ----------

I know that. I say that in my second post. I'm talking shit about the over-zealous book people who still don't seem satisfied by that fact. Basically this all stemmed from another thread where book people were ripping the finale apart because apparently some things happened differently in the book the this season's based on. They were bitching and I decided to humorously troll them and then decided to share those thoughts with you guys on here. I cannot stress enough that I'm not actually pissed or give a real damn about any of this. It's just something I notice a lot (book people throwing in their 2 cents every week) and in the moment, when some of them act like assholes, it makes me roll my eyes and talk shit for two minutes. I don't actually care about any other fan's feels, but my own.

And gotta respectfully disagree about True Blood. I heard Bill died in the books and if the show did things that way, we wouldn't have Badass Billith, who I am going to love hating this season. (!) Plus, Sookie started out so Mary Sue like in the beginning, so if that was the book's doing, too, I'm actually glad the show laid off that button as they went on, too. ...:shrug:

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2013 at 03:50 PM ----------

I totally get that. That's why if I start out watching one thing, I won't go back and watch the original or the remake (depending on which I saw and loved first) because I know I'll struggle to enjoy them as separate entities. The combating thoughts and cross referencing alone, even if both versions are good, would drive me up the wall.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2013 at 03:51 PM ----------

:lol: Respect. :grin:

9. darlig ulv

I've read the books and watched the series. I loved both. It's perfectly reasonable for the story to be tweaked for TV, some things just don't translate as well. Honestly, I think the show does justice to the books. But what really irks me, is people who only watch the show, ad are now boycotting it because of the Red Wedding. They need to shut up and calm down, because they should have known. That event was set in stone 10 YEARS before the show was even in pre-production, and it's not some little thing that can be changed.

10. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Oh dude, I know right! They know their asses are gonna be watching next April, sitting down with their fucking "Winter is Coming" T-shirts on. :lol: (Hey are there "Winter is Coming" T-shirts, by the way, because I would totally love one?) Anyway, I doubt they're really going to boycott and if they do, god that'll be annoying. I heard some people were threatening to cancel HBO and I just laughed because if they did do that in the heat of the moment, all I picture is a frantic crying nerd on the phone with their Satellite provider, trying to get that shit back but there's some rule that says you can't reactivate the service for two years or something. Just the look of despair on their irrational faces...:roflmao:...that is until they realize there's internet and then they'll get their fix that way. But those hilariously precious three minutes of "what the fuck did I just do?!!" could never be taken back.