1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Recommendations - L/B themed

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LetMeBeThatIAm, Jun 19, 2013.

1. LetMeBeThatIAm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a voracious reader and right now I'm searching for more books with lesbian/bi themes. I'm finding it difficult to locate well-written novels with these types of characters, and so I thought I'd start a thread where people can share recommendations of good books they've enjoyed. I'll start off the list with some I found insightful, thought-provoking, fun, or just plain enjoyable.

Here's my list (in no particular order):

~Fingersmith - Sarah Waters (literary, romantic, so many twists!; one of the best authors I’ve read.)
    ~Tipping the Velvet - Sarah Waters (ditto)
    ~Adaptation - Malinda Lo (YA)
    ~Ash – Malinda Lo (YA) (Just okay…)
    ~Ask the Passengers - A.S. King (YA)
    ~The Dark Wife - Sarah Diemer (YA; a must read!)
    ~And Playing the Role of Herself - KE Lane (THE best lesbian romance I've ever read. Ever. I've read this over ten times and keep coming back. Find me a romance novel as good as this and I’ll kiss you.)
    ~When Women Were Warriors (trilogy) - Catherine M. Wilson (Three electronic books that are not only lesbian themed, but also historical fiction, with insights into love and just the human experience as a whole.)
    ~The Miseducation of Cameron Post - Emily M. Danforth (YA - her style floors me every time; beautiful in its complex simplicity, she's able to capture the snapshots of all that's wonderful about childhood and being a young adult.)
    ~When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win - Carol Leifer
    ~The Hollows series - Kim Harrison [still ongoing] (Okay, so this doesn't have a happy ending for bisexuality, at least I don’t think, but the relationship between Rachel and Ivy is one of the most complex and intense I've ever read. The fan fiction community might help assuage any itches for you fellow Ravy fans.)
    ~Nightshade – Shea Godfrey (okay)
    ~Black Blade Blues – J.A. Pitts (This first book is good, but the others in the series are disappointing.)
    ~Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterson (her biblical parodies are cutting)
    ~Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire - Lisa M. Diamond (This is an insightful “scientific” book that I would recommend every woman read. A psychologist and gender studies professor, Diamond recounts her ten year longitudinal study of 80 or so women who identified as lesbian, bisexual, or unlabeled. Diamond observes changes in these women’s sexuality (behavior, attractions, fantasies, social identity labels) over that ten year period and also provides an excellent description for her theory on women’s sexual fluidity and what governs sexual attraction based on her study.)
    ~Orlando – Virginia Woolf (what ISN’T awesome by her?)
    ~The comic “Sunstone” on deviantART by shiniez. You have to create an account to view. (I debated a while about including this on here. It’s adult themed (*mature* subject matter) and many people may not like it. The mature filter on the site ensures no one underage can access it. But if you’re open minded, it is about lesbians, and it has sweet moments and tenderness. And it’s generally a romantic comedy with fantastic artwork. I’m not into the particular, um, subject it explores, but I love the art and the story.)

So anyone else? What other L/B books, comics, etc. are out there begging to be read?

2. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well its on wattpad and it isn't exactly published but its really well written called chasing love...I've read it like 3 times already:slight_smile:

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. LetMeBeThatIAm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Darn! Didn't see that one! Thanks! Think I should just post to that one, or is having two similar threads okay?

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2013 at 09:10 PM ----------

Is it the one on Amazon by Ronica Black, or a different one?

EDIT: Oh! Ha. I've never heard of wattpad before! Just found it. Thanks for the recommendation.

#4 LetMeBeThatIAm, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  5. Qwissen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    theres an author called Radclyffe, she only write about lesbian and its super good.

6. LetMeBeThatIAm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've read two of Radclyffe's and unfortunately, they didn't really capture my attention all that much. Nothing personal, but it wasn't quite for me. The characters were nice, but the writing itself wasn't what I expected. Thanks for the recommendation, though! I know she's a mainstay in the lesbian romance genre. I believe she runs (or at least helped fund/establish) Bold Stroke Books, an electronic publishing company that caters to LGBT themed books, which is awesome.