1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinions on rap

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FreeFlow9917, Jun 21, 2013.

1. FreeFlow9917

In my opinion, rap is not always talking about drugs, sex, and gangs, some of them talk of life and most rap songs can be motivating, such as lupe fiasco, eminem, wale, macklemore, b.o.b., maybe tech n9ne. I feel people have too much of a negative view on rap.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

That's not an opinion; that's a fact. :slight_smile: The problem is that most people judge rap by what's successful in the mainstream, but there's an entire world of AMAZING rap in the underground and independent scene. Kendrick Lamar and Death Grips come to mind.

3. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I greatly despise it, it's (usually) very uncreative, stolen, and lyrically terrible, and rapping isn't that difficult; try singing an aria. But I'm sure that there is many rappers who try very hard with their work, and actually do it creatively... no one mainstream of course

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rap as a style isn't bad. However, the people who consider themselves rappers have ruined it for everyone else. :/

A few examples of actually good rap songs are Eminem's "Lose Yourself" and Avril Lavigne's "Nobody's Fool." The musical choices taken were perfect for both of those, and neither comes across as barbaric.

5. Hefiel

I don't like rap. However, I can admit that there are a few songs that are "Good", not in the sense that I like them, but that if I happened to like rap, it'd be more of that kind of song (the Macklemoore one is a great example).

But overall, don't like it at all. I prefer other genre because they involve more instruments and people to play them.

6. Bolin

Hmmm....well, I don't really like "gangsta" rap. As for other types of rap, I'm not a big fan of rap outside the hip-hop genre, and even still, any rap I hear is either good or bad. No in between. I'm not a big fan of rap in K-pop, either, although there are a few K-pop rappers I enjoy very much.

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's poetry. Artists like Lecrae, Trip Lee, Tedashii, KB, Thi'sl and Andy Mineo are brilliant at what they do, and their art isn't about sex and drugs.

8. I dont actively seek it out but most of what I hear I like.

I love the Gravediggaz to death though, Six Feet Under is a fantastic album.

EDIT: WHY DO I KEEP MAKING THESE HORRIBLE PUNS?! Someone help me...I don't even realize I do it.

9. FreeFlow9917

Yeah, but rappers like lil' wayne, waka flocka flame, and wiz khalifa are mainly about drugs or sex, but i am into realistic artists in the world, even linkin park is rap/rock, and flobots are about politics.

10. 2112

I don't like "sampling" (should just be called stealing...), but if the lyrics are good then it's just poetry with music, so I can't really say it's all good or bad. I don't really like listening to it because I like music more than lyrics.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The big names you hear nowadays suck. The albums you can get for free or even 5 bucks off the street in Chicago by the original artists are sick. Those are pure art. Lots of people take artists to look like people like me who have some streak in their hair and wear different clothing than most people. Some of the more artistic rappers and people in general do come from the ghettos of Chicago, where there's a lot more straight from the heart and experience of what they went through. There was only one reason why I didn't take the 2nd one I was offered, and that was that I really needed to catch my train. Stopping would have taken away that train ride.

12. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually its not bad! Its a music genre that i dont like that much but sometimes i listen to it. Tho i dont like rapper fans as friends.

13. Pain

Pain Guest

Rap is just another musical style. I can appreciate it for that. The only genre I can't stand is western country music.

14. LiquidSwords

15. lawRAWR

I like Macklemore, but that's about it. I do, however, like rapping in rock songs; the band Enter Shikari do this really well. They're one of my favourite bands, combining hardcore punk, rap, dubstep, etc. They also sing about world issues, which I always like in a band/singer.

16. Candace

I like some rap, but I can't stand rap that doesn't have a good beat and has the same five themes in it (going to the club, wasting money, getting drunk, female anatomy, and "swag")....

17. justjade

I know that feel, bro. I do like some rap, but not a lot of it. It seems like most of it is oversexualized, and the grammar and phonetics in most of the songs are pretty terrible. But I guess that's really with any genre of music, really.

18. Candace

that as well! I teach non-natives English through songs sometimes and I don't like using rap for that purpose. I don't want Ronaldo from Brazil here speaking English like a broken record because he learned it through rap music...sigh...

19. Philip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like most rap and hip-hop, but I do love me some 2-Pac and Immortal Technique.

20. Candace

My friend actually introduced me to Immortal Technique, and I was quite surprised. And TuPac was pure genius. I like rap that has a good message and/or breaks down problems going on in the world, like Immortal Technique does.