1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT folk and Disney movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlamoCity, Jun 24, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

It may be anecdotal, but it seems a good number of LGBT folk really like Disney movies. I just wonder what's the reason. I don't mind Disney movies, but I won't actually see one unless my younger sister wants me to watch one with her. Anyways, I'm just curious. Thanks for the input.

2. ANightDude

I'd assume that mostly because Disney films have a tendency to deal with the theme of being the odd one out.

Ariel is different from her sisters. Belle is different from the townspeople. Quasimodo is different from the other citizens. Mulan is different from other girls. Tarzan is different from the apes.

Things along those lines.

Also cause they fucking rock.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because gay guys are more likely to admit they like watching dancing teapots and handsome princes than straight guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, Disney movies are great, no matter how you slice it. I'm just waiting for a movie with actual LGBT characters. How much do you think it would piss off the fundies to see same-sex shenanigans in "wholesome" entertainment?

4. AlamoCity

I think it'll be a while before Disney has an out LGBT character. But I think the "fundies" already get pissed at the unofficial "Gay Days" at Disney World. But I agree, Disney movies are well-made; the only exception are those straight-to-DVD sequels that are just to milk a franchise, like Lion King 1 1/2.

5. King

King Guest

I don't like Disney movies at all, actually, and I've never heard of the idea that LGBT folk typically do?

They might, but all means, but I certainly don't.

6. Candace

I LOVE DISNEY MOVIESSSSS (my avatar, duh).

I find them peaceful, calming, good music, and that's honestly how I learned French and Spanish (partly) was by watching all the popular Disney films dubbed.

7. AlamoCity

Yeah, I notice that you change your avatar almost every day :grin:. I understand that, I guess. Maybe I should watch Disney movies in French to brush up on it.

8. biggayguy

Disney musicals have so many good themes like; loyalty, courage, trust, love, friendship, teamwork. It's like a two hour motivational video set to music. Then there's Sir Elton John doing the singing. Yes, some of the plots are repetitive. That's the one thing I find mildly annoying.

9. Candace

I couldn't decide on an avatar right for me, that's why. :dry:

10. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I am looove Disney. The Little Mermaid is one of my all time favorite movies, like, for reals, lolz!

11. Allecto

I'll be the odd one out and say that I dislike Disney. I don't like how they bowdlerize things, I think they're sexist and racist, and the unrelenting cheerfulness and ~Disney magic~ stuff creeps me out.

That being said, I loved Disney movies as a kid and was obsessed with Snow White as a kid because everyone said I looked like her. So I guess I do have fond memories of them.

12. justjade

All your avatars, duh! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And what a great way to help learn different languages! I once watched The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie in French once just for background noise, and it was a great experience. I ended up not getting any sewing done. :lol:

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2013 at 10:39 PM ----------

I completely agree with this. Plus, the songs are fun to sing.

"I can show you the world/ Shining, shimmering, splendid/ Tell me, princess, when did you last let your heart decide? A whole new wooooorrrlll--"*cough, cough*

OK, yeah, that wasn't working. :lol:

I like them because there's a lot of self-discovery on the part of the main characters. They struggle to fit in at first, but then they find their place. They have fun adventures, too. :slight_smile:

13. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am OBSESSED with them! The songs are what make life bearable! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The Fox and the Hound, The Lion King and Oliver and Company are my fav movies! :lol:They are just so amazingly sad and awesome at the same time!

14. srslywtf

I love disney movies! Aladdin is the only one I've watched recently. Whole new world, just imagining riding on that carpet... moonlit nights.. that feeling.

I hate myself for loving them because disney is resonsible for an aweful lot of image portrayal/stereotyping that goes into children's brains.

15. Fiddledeedee

I watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the first time last night. "Hellfire" is an incredible song. That's what I love most about them: the songs. And the pretty princess dresses. And the heartwarming moments and tearjerking moments and funny moments and scary moments....

No need to hate yourself because of that. :slight_smile: If we just understand that they have issues, like the racism and the cookie cutter princesses, then we can still enjoy them despite their not being perfect. Plus talking to young kids about those issues in age-appropriate ways when they watch Disney movies (and other media).

16. I don't like Disney movies. Even when I was like 5 I would have to struggle through them because my cousin liked them I was a Star Wars/Indiana Jones kid. My dad was very pleased by this fact I still remember when I wanted to watch the lion king when I was 4 or 5 and turned it off halfway through because "They sang too much" the look of relief on his face was amazing.

My friends incidentally think my childhood is broken because the only disney movie I watched was half of the lion king and Aladdin because my cousin was obsessed with it. I try to fend them off by saying Pixar is awesome but apparently that doesn't count and they're trying to get me to watch the "essential" ones

Somebody help me.

17. biggayguy

The last one I saw was Mulan. I loved it! The whole thing about her family pressing her to go on one path but Mulan ends up finding her own path. It took a lot of courage to do things her way.

18. sexyalex

I can't imagine myself without Disney.

As much as we can all argue that Disney is responsible for an aweful lot of image portrayal/stereotyping that goes into children's brains, we can also admit that if one applies the plots and story lines to their own lives, its totally relateable.

I see a little bit of Mulan in me. Why should I hide who I really am? Just be who I want to be.
    Or how about Ariel? All my life i've been living in Jamaica (The most homophobic place on earth) and I knew there was more out there. My parents didn't see it that way. I applied for a scholarship and faith came my way. Pretty much like Ariel going to Ursula. I went to university in Canada and for those 4 years....my life was literally magical! Not to mention, there, I met my prince charming and I don't regret any of it. In the end my parents understood. Just like King Triton did.

Take Belle for example. She is maybe the most respectable Disney princess EVER. She doesn't conform. And she is a misfit not even by choice, yet, she is the most beautiful in all the land. She buries herself in her education and she respects her elders as a lady should. And when she met her man, as hideous as he is, he loved him for him and not for the beast he is. And when the city jock tried to beat down her man, she risked everything to save him. She is in fact an embodiment of strength and beauty with a purpose. I want to be JUST like Bell, when I grow up.

I could go on about many others whom has impacted my life. Goofy, Pocahontas, Tiana, Flick, Merida, etc. but i think we all get the point....

Disney has done more greatness in my life than it has damage. And i'm sure, in time, Disney will have it's own LGBT theme. Just like in time, it had it's first black princess.

But now is not the time. And i'm sure it's just a matter of business decision than one of resentment.