1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender People in Acting?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Adrian Piper, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Adrian Piper

Hey, guys! So, I'm transgender and I really want to be an actor! In films and television shows, hopefully. The thing is, there aren't very many popular transgender actors/actresses out there, and I was just wondering if it was just because there aren't a large amount of transgender people who want to go into acting, or if the whole transgender thing would get in the way of me being a successful actor.
    I do community musical theater now, and I haven't technically come out to anyone in my show yet, although I do dress as a guy to the rehearsals. I really want to tell the cast, but there are younger kids in the show (the youngest being 8), and my mum told me that for now, I should just tell them that I'm planning on changing my name and tell them my new name because the parents of the kids probably wouldn't like it if I explained to them what transgender was.
    Would something like that happen if I audition for film or television roles in the future? Any thoughts on this?

2. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not going for acting myself, but I do have a big ambition of being a famous author. I'm planning to write a series and hope that I have an impact on the world and help acceptance of trans*people.

Regardless of my own ambitions, the main point of my post here is that just because there aren't many super famous trans actors out there right now, there always have to be a first. You can be that first. Transgender rights have moved on exponentially in the last 5 years and I really think that if you want to be a famous actor, you being trans has nothing to do with it. Whilst there may be some douchebags out there, it is possible. So I'd say go for it with all you've got. :grin:

3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I don't think you being trans will get in the way. It's about whether you can do the part or not. It usually all comes down to talent and in the cases where it doesn't, like people getting chosen for looks or something instead of ability, it shows and it's not pretty.

I look it at this way: If it doesn't only take being cisgender to do a role (that's not something actively looked for), then being transgender won't be something that actively holds you back either. Sometimes gay people play straight roles, straight people play gay roles, both sometimes do trans roles, neurotypicals play auties/aspies, people who can walk play people in wheelchairs, hearing people play deaf people, it's endless dude.

Point is, the actors being something different to what their part is doesn't get in the way and for parts they get that aren't any of the things I listed, they don't get those roles simply because of what they are in real life. In a "girl meets boy" movie, they don't just pick a girl because she's a girl. So reversed, for auties/aspies, deafies, wheelies, gays and trans people being those things in real life isn't the thing that hinders them, generally speaking. It's about if they have the talent to get them the part they're trying out for. So what/who you are in real life doesn't matter. Anyway, I feel like I've over-made my point by rambling on too long. All in all, I agree with Danica, if you want to be an actor, fucking go for it. Just focus on your skill or craft, whatever it's called. Be good at what you do and that's what'll get you noticed. Good luck out there. :grin: