1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When can I call him my boyfriend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AaronMed, Jul 5, 2013.

1. AaronMed

Hey everyone,

So I've been thinking, and I wanted to make a separate thread about this, but when can I call Sebastian my boyfriend? I know I'll have to talk to him about it, but when do you think is a good time to bring it up? How should I bring it up in conversation? I'm going on my third date in a couple weeks (in Florida now), and I'm definitely going to be kissing him during that date because he already said that he has no limits around me and that he wants to do everything I'm comfortable with :slight_smile:.

What do you guys think?

2. LD579

You could ask him. There's nothing wrong with asking him, and he might even find it cute or something. For now I suppose it's sort of up in the air. It depends on how he feels about things. I get the feeling that you think you're both boyfriends right now, in a way, and to be honest, I'd think that too if I'd had half the connection you seem to have with Sebastian.

The thing to note here though is that Sebastian may not be like you or me in that regard. Maybe he'd rather take his time to label your relationship with each other. Maybe he doesn't like the 'whole commitment thing'. I refer you to this so that you can see where I'm coming from: Along Came Polly - The Restaurant Scene - YouTube

Some people are like that, you know? It's just like how some people are like us.

3. AaronMed

Haha, I suppose that's true! I'll most likely bring it up on the fourth date.

Next date is the third date and there's a 100% probability that we'll kiss - he already said he wants to at time I want to :icon_bigg. There's a pretty good chance we'll have sex on the fourth date. Do you think it'd be a good idea to bring it up after sex when we're cuddling, or would that be tacky?

You just made my day by saying that :slight_smile:. I think you could very well be right - after all, we literally (and I do mean literally) send hundreds of texts back and forth every day. He texts me when he goes to bed (he goes to bed before me), and I text him as soon as I wake up in the morning (he wakes up after me). He once referred to what we had like this: "It's almost like our brain tentacles are connected!" And I totally agree :kiss:. He's also implied a few times that he wants a solid relationship, as have I.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Have we/are we spontaneously becoming boyfriends? Was/is it automatically occurring?

True, but I do seriously think that he wants to get serious with me, or at least that's the feeling I get :slight_smile:.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure when the best time to label him a "boyfriend" would be. But, to a degree, I'm not sure how much it really matters. What I'd think matters is the relationship you're building. "Boyfriend" is just a label, and in many ways it's for the convenience of third parties (a way to label who Sebastian is in your life).

5. AaronMed

That's very true, and I think you're totally right. I just don't want to start saying stuff to friends like, "Oh, my boyfriend loves that show!" and then he hears about it as a surprise instead of me asking first. Is there any case in which it'd be okay to assume, and if not, when's the best time to have the discussion?

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say be cautious. For many guys, a date that's really anxious to label a relationship is a huge red warning flag, because it indicates clingyness and insecurity. And the label doesn't mean anything unless it is really mutual, so you can't just decide you're going to call him your boyfriend.

Most emotionally healthy people I know would not label a dating relationship "boyfriend" status until a month, maybe two months, of regular dating. When I see people that label their relationships (such as on facebook) a week or two into dating... almost always, those relationships, 3 or 4 weeks later... are no longer.

Likewise, I think you need to look at your need to say things like "Oh, my boyfriend loves that show"... the more natural thing would be to say "Oh, Bob (or whatever his name is) loves that!" The other can almost sound like you're trying to show off about the fact you have a boyfriend.

7. AaronMed

That's very true. On the other hand, though, he already knows I'm clingy and accepts me for my clingyness :grin:.

I totally agree, but keep in mind that as of today, it's already been a month since our first date! By the time the fourth date rolls around, it'll be like 7 weeks.

I disagree, I don't think that at all when other people say stuff like that!

8. AKTodd

To my mind, a monogamous/exclusive relationship would need to have been agreed to by all involved parties before terms like 'boyfriend' should start being used. For me, that sort of discussion wouldn't take place until sex had been had and been taking place for at least several dates.

If you are doing an open relationship/non-exclusive arrangement, I'm not sure how this sort of thing would work.

My 2c worth,

Todd

P.S. - I also don't agree with the idea that referring to my boyfriend (or partner in my case) as such is somehow wrong or bragging. First because its a perfectly valid title, second because its not my problem if someone is bothered by the fact I'm in a relationship, and third, if I want to brag about my relationship status, I damn well will and to hell with anyone who doesn't like it.

While I certainly wouldn't just repeat it over and over to the point of being silly or say it around someone I knew was hurting due to being single or the loss of a relationship, I'm not going to hide it. Far from it.

Todd

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be cute at first. If the other person is emotionally healthy, it will *kill* the relationship in short order. So it's definitely somethingto work on.

My original position stands. If you've had 3 dates in a month, and the next one will be at the 7 week mark, and you aren't spending time together except at the dates, you can label the relationship "boyfriends" if both parties agree to that... but it would be hard to say that there's any depth to that meaning if you've only spent time together 4 or 5 times.

On the using "My boyfriend says ____________", I agree with both you and AKTodd that if used in the proper context, and not overused, it's fine. However, I was simply adding it to the rest of what you described and inferring that it was being used as a bragging right. Your comment does nothing to indicate that isn't the case. All I'm saying is... insecurity does not a healthy relationship make, so I would absolutely work on your insecurities and clingyness because, in the long term, healthy self esteem and confidence is going to be an important part of a healthy relatiionship.

10. AaronMed

I think you're totally right. However, I think sex once is enough because I'm the type that wouldn't even consider letting someone get into my pants without knowing him really well and loving him with all my heart. And he knows that :slight_smile:.

There's something screaming at me at the back of my brain telling me that we have a fundamentally different definition of "clingy". I'm defining it as the fact that I get anxiety if I don't hear from him for a while (like a day), and that given the choice, I'd spend every waking moment of my life with him.

I very much disagree... I strongly believe in love at first sight, and am pretty sure I experienced it, so I think in this case 5 dates is more than enough! Hey, after all, my dad proposed to my mom on their sixth date and they've been married for something like 25 years :icon_bigg.

--

I'm thinking I'm going to phrase the question simply as, "You know Seb, I really like what we have here; you're so amazing. So what exactly do we call what we have, what are we to each other? There's totally no right answer, but I want you to know that I'm okay with however far along the road you think we are - I just want to be on the same page :slight_smile:."

I will most likely say this a little bit after we both finish and are cuddling in bed. What do you guys think, good plan?

11. LD579

Or you could ask him before he gets in bed with you.

Your description of clingy doesn't sound necessarily positive, to be honest. I'm leaning towards what Chip has said quite a bit, to say the least. If you can work on yourself a tad, I bet Sebastian will like you even more.

12. AaronMed

That's actually not a bad idea. That way if he says yes to becoming my boyfriend (I get the feeling he will), he can have sex with me to reassure me that he really means it :slight_smile:.

Perhaps you're right, and I do keep an eye on it to keep it in check. On the other hand, though, by that same definition one could refer to my mom as clingy, and yet her marriage t my dad is 100% healthy. If my mom calls my dad and doesn't hear back within a couple hours and my dad didn't tell her he was going out, she'll get really really anxious.

13. Amerigo

omg i remember this - awww gl!

14. AaronMed

Thanks! What do you mean you remember it?

15. Amerigo

as in, this ongoing story/thread is stored in my long-term memory.

anyways you seem to be making steady progress, i don't know how to answer the boyfriend question, but i think these things come naturally in a relationship, who knows, perhaps he'll be the one to call you "boyfriend" first!

16. LD579

Eh... Or you two could just have sex, with no need for reassurances. It'd be better that way in many ways, I think. Comfort sex or reassuring sex just seems like a slippery slope to me, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

It's fine to worry about someone, of course. What's different between your mom and dad and between you and Sebastian is that you have known each other for different amounts of time. I can assure you, though, that spending every waking moment with someone isn't good for either involved. People need their space and their own time, whether that's 5 minutes or 3 hours or more.

It's like this: you have to be able to stand on your own feet before you can walk with someone else, you know? Ideally you wouldn't lean on them, and ideally you would just walk hand in hand. Otherwise... They may have to bend down to help you walk, or it may be tiresome to help someone who can't walk go on a long stroll.

Take that extended metaphor as you will.

17. AKTodd

Hrm. Going to sort of respond to several things I've read in the thread since my last post.

First, while it is true you have been dating for an extended period in in terms of time, you've actually barely spent any time together. Yes, you have probably been texting and emailing and skyping or whatever, but you haven't really been with each other very much.

Second, your definition of clingy makes me agree with those who say you need to work on this aspect of your personality. Speaking from experience, even someone you love dearly can get on your nerves if you never get a break from each other from time to time. The pattern your parents have has evolved over decades of marriage and may have explicit reasons for operating as it does. You don't have that yet with Sebastian. That you need or want sex for the purpose of reassurance does not fill me with confidence either tbh.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly. In all this discussion, I'm hearing a lot about what you want, and what you expect, and how you do things. I'm not hearing anything about what Sebastian wants, or what he expects, or how he does things. Now maybe this is just because you haven't got round to mentioning this stuff yet and you guys have discussed this all in depth already. But I can't help wondering/worrying if its actually because you don't know and haven't bothered to find out. Being in a relationship (aka having a boyfriend) means that it is no longer just about you. You need to always consider the wants/needs/desires of that other person, at least when it comes to issues that impact you both. Such as the one you are considering now.

Does Sebastian feel the same way about sex that you do? Does he actually not mind your clinginess? Does he feel that you have dated enough already to even be having the conversation? Etc.

If you can confidentially say that he is on the same page as you in all these things, because you've either directly discussed them or gotten very clear signals already then fine. But if not, I'd be careful to not let the flush of romance or simple overeagerness push you into moving faster then you should be or then the other person in this equation is comfortable with.

My 2c worth,

Todd

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'd say that's clingy, and not in a healthy way. It usually has its basis in severe insecurity, because the unconscious fear/message/belief is "I don't deserve this person and I'm scared I'm going to lose him." But of course, since the message is, in fact, unconscious most of the time, the person doesn't realize what's driving it. And over time, as I said, it will destroy a relationship, or if it doesn't, make for a very unhealthy relationship.

That's a great way to phrase it. No expectations, and no pressure to label it any particular way.

19. AaronMed

Thankies! I really hope you're right, if that happened and he asked me if we could be boyfriends, I would say yes right that instant, kiss him, and be the happiest man in the world :icon_bigg.

I think I may have overdramatized my feelings, so let me rephrase. I totally need that much space myself, and would go crazy without it; I didn't mean I want to be joined at the hip to him. When I said every waking moment, I was overdramatizing to mean that I'd want to see him mostly every day. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

That's not a bad metaphor, and I totally I know what you mean. This is largely why I stick around EC - so I know what the hell I'm doing and don't have to rely on him to tell me how to behave in every single relationship-related context.

Though that's true, I think chemistry can be detected in a very short space of time. And I'm 100% sure we have that.

No need to worry about that, we've had in-depth discussions about all of this already. I know how he feels.

I can confidently say I'm on the same page with him for each of those things. I'll break them down:

His & My Feelings on Sex

He's explicitly told me many times that he's okay with absolutely anything sexual I want to try with him long. He once told me that his only absolute limit is that he doesn't do scat, but other than that, he's into everything. We're both comfortable with the idea of sex and often joke about different sexual innuendos over text. And he's said that he wants to have a slumber party with me with cookies, ice cream, movies, and lots and lots of sex - he said he wants to see if we can do it three times in one night, and I told him the truth - that I thought that was totally hot! :icon_wink

We also know that we're both clean because he literally received test results yesterday and he's totally clean, and I'm a virgin so be default I'm totally clean too.

His & My Feelings on Clinginess and Mental Health

He knows I have severe panic disorder, low self-esteem, and general insecurity, all of which he's said many times that he's okay with. Similarly, I know that he has panic disorder and bipolar depression, and I'm totally okay with that too. He's okay with my clinginess because he's pretty clingy too! Perhaps not as much as me, but pretty close. I think that both of our clingy properties stem from panic disorder and generalized anxiety, for which we're both medicated (he takes sertraline, I take fluoxetine), but the clinginess breaks through. The beautiful part of our relationship (if it can be called that yet before I have the talk with him) is that we understand and accept each other's plethora of flaws. I have a really bizarre diet, and he's okay with that. He has a weird earlobe fetish, and I'm okay with that. I have really stereotypically gay hair and he's okay with that. He has a giant rainbow tattoo on his right arm and I'm okay with that. I'm clingy and he's okay with that. He's clingy and I'm okay with that. Do you get what I'm saying?

His & My Feelings on Timing

He's already said that he's willing to go as far as I'm comfortable with, and I took that to include conversations like this one.

Congratulations, you just defined generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), and we both have that! :lol:

Seriously, though, we're both a bit insecure, but latching onto each other alleviates this.

Excellent, then that's what I'll do!

20. AKTodd

Hm. Fair enough. You seem to have put some thought and discussion into this and your mutual conditions. Just be sure to keep communicating and discussing.

On a different note...3x in one night? For a couple of 20 something's? For your first time together? Is that just before midnight or the whole evening? If its the latter, I shall be forced to make comments about kids today and their lack of ambition and stamina and how I blame video games and a sugary diet :wink:

Only slightly more seriously (very slighty), if we were running a pool on this (and if the two of you stay hydrated), I'd be betting that you'll be going for 5x, maybe 6 if he doesn't leave until late afternoon and you can be alone that long:grin:

Anyway, have fun and play safe.

Todd