1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Content with forever alone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bagginses, Jul 7, 2013.

1. bagginses

bagginses Guest

So I used to have a mind set of " I'm okay with being alone for the rest of my life" because I had always thought that would be easier than telling my parents that I'm gay.
    I'm 20 now and I finally realized how depressing it is to be alone in your own little world, shutting reality out of your head. And I now know even though fate maybe cruel you can always make your own happiness.

So what I'm getting at is how can I find "mr.right" to help with comforting me when I do tell my parents? This is especially hard because everyone I meet automatically assumes that I'm a straight guy, and I normally don't tell people I'm gay unless they ask.

2. 800xcrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know what you're getting at, and I'm somewhat the same way! I have a (straight) friend that asked me a few months ago did I ever see myself settling down with another man. I told him no, and he went on to say he wish he had my kind of "restraint." But it's not a restraint, I just could never see myself coming home with another guy and saying this is my boyfriend! And I hear you on the assumption of being straight from others. I've told 9 people, and the most common response was "I never thought so!" But ultimately, I think once you find Mr. Right, it'll give you a different perspective on your situation. In my case, I've yet to have a relationship with another guy, so I don't feel like it would be acceptable as of yet. I'm also 20 and feel like we're in similar situations! Is there someone you know that you think you may want to introduce to your parents?

#2 800xcrunner, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  3. apandemisexual

Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't necessarily need "Mr. Right" to help you. Don't you have any close friends to support you?

Why does your parents have to know?

4. squally89

You should consider doing some volunteer work at the local gay community centre or join the LGBTQ club at University/College. That's how I started. You want to meet as many people as possible and try not to make friends base on your sexual appetite too (it can be hard according to Dr. Downs in his book "Velvet Rage")

5. bagginses

bagginses Guest

I have friends that supports me.
    But not the kind of friends I could tell these personal things to. I don't have that close of a friend.

My parents need to know because I don't want to lie to them anymore. It feels like keeping a part of me away from them and its creating distance between us.

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2013 at 08:34 AM ----------

Yep everything you've said seems to have hit the spot. Sadly enough I don't know anyone would like to introduce to my parents right now. And I have no one to fall back on when my parents reject my sexual orientation.

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2013 at 08:37 AM ----------

I was actually thinking on joining the LGBT club at my college. I'm just scared someone I know while find out and tell my sister(who also attends my college) and my parents will know before I'm ready to tell them.
    I'm not really sure how those even work.