1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotional Pain from Physical Separation

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AaronMed, Jul 8, 2013.

1. AaronMed

Hey guys! So I'm gonna start this off with a quote from greatwhale from another of my threads:

You were right, and the tightness is getting so tight that I feel like if I don't see him soon I'm going to have a heart attack :cry:. I wake up in the morning here in Florida and my heart sinks when I realize that here comes another day of me being over a thousand miles away from him. There's a part of my brain that's screaming at me to just hop on the next plane home so I can see him.

To all you guys who are in a relationship with someone, how do you cope when you have to be physically distant from your partner for extended periods?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Aaron!

It must be hard, so to speak, to miss someone so badly. I know the feeling, it's a sweet kind of sadness, this focus on the person you want to be with.

How are you communicating with him now? Are there any distractions that could take your mind off him for a while?

Just know that time passes quickly and more so when you keep your attention on other things, surely you are there to enjoy yourself?

3. AaronMed

Exactly, I think you nailed it - that's exactly how I feel. When I go to bed at night, I hug an extra pillow as I fall asleep and imagine it's him. There's nothing in the whole world that would make me happier than to wake up in his arms.

Texting, all the time. We exchange on the order of hundreds of texts per day :slight_smile:.

Well I'm going to Disney World tomorrow, so that'll help! There're plenty of things around to distract me, but the trouble is that no matter what I'm doing, I always end up thinking about him. Like today I was watching The Numbers Station and I missed parts of the movie because I would just space out and think about him. Is that normal?

Indeed I am, I'll find distractions, it's just that thoughts about him always creep to the forefront of my mind no matter what I'm doing or how much fun I'm having.

4. AKTodd

This probably doesn't do you any good now, but I can tell you that after a while this issue fades a good bit (at least for me it has). My partner sometimes leaves for 4-6 weeks at a time for work in the summer.

The first two weeks I enjoy having the house to myself, going to or renting movies he would never want to see, getting takeout, etc. the second week or two I'm pretty much just on autopilot as I slog along doing the work of a two person life solo. Weeks 5-6, I am starting to both miss him and fear that the dogs have me outnumbered and are going to take over (occupational hazard with Samoyeds). The last few days I really miss him, miss his presence in the house, hugging him,sex etc.

My 2c worth,

Todd

5. AaronMed

This sounds basically like how I've felt for the whole three weeks... I hope you're right and it does get easier. Anyways, I only have like 4 or 5 days till I see him again, so I'm hanging in! I'll post a new thread with an update of what happened on my third date :slight_smile:.