1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overcoming self-pity

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JayR, Jul 9, 2013.

1. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have this tendency to pity myself a lot. Studying myself, now I know what triggers me in feeling those, so i'll list down the things that I "think" triggers me to pity myself:

1.) Seeing my crush(es), because i'm not good looking and not worth their time.
    2.) Being around straight guys, it also makes me anxious, and I think I'm afraid to be around straight guys, but I'm currently in the closet, so I am expected to hang-out with them, but in the end, I get nervous about being discovered and feeling anxious again.So I choose to be a loner, which drives me to self pity.
    3.) When my parents or relatives talks about my future which involves me having a "wife" and kids. I just keep thinking I'll disappoint them in the future, which drives me to self-pity.
    4.) Physical imperfections, because I'm not that good looking. It happens sometimes out of the blue. Not photogenic as well.
    5.) The fact that I don't have a lot of friends, and i can't connect with people well.
    6.) Because of my sexuality and not straight.

Should I see a therapist or something?
    I confess I'm a melodramatic person, but please give me some advice. I don't expect an instant solution, because those are a lot of problems. But please someone give me an advice on what I should do because, I hate feeling like this.

2. Amerigo

i can relate to every single thing you listed there, it's sad, so sad ;'(

i don't think you're being over the top, i think you're indicating to yourself that you don't want to self pity no longer, instead you want to overcome this low and be happy, and that's a good thing. perhaps talk to your GP, that was the best thing i did. now it's not going to change your life in an instant but it will help you on your way. just tell them how you feel, even show them that list you have, that'd be good enough. they can then direct you to further possible treatments like therapy or medication. i've tried both and neither have helped a great deal, but at least i'm trying eh. good luck feeling better, and remember -

[YOUTUBE]UZimx1wHYcs[/YOUTUBE]

any more queries feel free to ask (it's tough, but you'll pull through)