1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One step closer

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lilly storm, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Lilly storm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I reunited with my aunt this last week. I haven't had anything to do with any of my family for years (totally unrelated to my sexual orientation... Almost).

During our visit she told me she had heard that I had had a relationship with a woman and she was basically asking me if that was true. I made a joke about it and said I wouldn't call it a relationship. She said she was fine with that because one of her sisters is a lesbian. I don't know, I still felt a bit weird and didn't say anything more about it. I wish this was easier! It's so unfair that people who don't fall into the neat heterosexual box have such a hard time. On the one hand I feel like my sex life is none of anyone's business. On the other I feel I need to know where people stand because if they are homophobic I frankly don't want them in my life. At the moment Im married to a man so theres no possibility of me bringing my new girlfriend round to meet the family so thats not an issue. Although im hoping it will be someday. This is really tricky for me to figure out.

2. boysdontcry

If it's a matter of coming out to family, and you feel uncomfortable, don't worry about it! You're an adult, you don't have an obligation to fill them in on every detail. Like you said, your sex life is nobody's business. Come out on your own time, or bring it up when it's relevant, or don't tell them at all!