1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confronted friend on mixed signals after coming out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Anomander, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok a quick recap for anyone who has not read my other threads. I came out to my best friend like a week ago and he was very supporting and accepting of me. Since coming out I have felt there has been an increase in the intensity of mixed signals I have received from him, which has been going on for years. You guys encouraged me to confront him about this and I just did a couple days ago. So I sent him this message:

I guess when I came out to you I expected some things to change. They didn't and this is leaving me really confused. Wednesday night when you were over you were biting my arm, rubbing my thigh in bed while taking to your girl friend, you curled up on top of me and cuddled with me for like a hour and then we slept together and spooned all night. And then on the way back to on the fourth you put your hand on me knee for quite awhile. I assumed when I came out to you that this kinda stuff was gunna stop because you would feel awkward doing it once you learned I was gay, and it hasn't, and due to this I can't help but question these mixed signals that maybe you are interested in me and there could be something there that's more than friendship. This does not make any sense to me because your now in a relationship with, but at the same time I do not know how you could still feel comfortable doing that kinda stuff with me otherwise. I appreciate you still love me and nothing has changed between us but at the same time its leaving me confused as fuck.

I guess what I am asking is that if your straight and there is nothing between us other than being best friends that's of course just fine, but I really need you to calm down a bit on the over affectionate physical flirting with me because it's really confusing me. On the other hand if you are doing all this because there might be something more there I would certainly be open to that as well. I just hope you can see where my confusion is coming from. With that said I just want to clarify that I would never do anything to try and mess up your relationship with... and I did not even want to talk to you about this while you are with her but that could be for years and I cannot sit around confused forever. I like and I am really happy for you. I am not trying to make anything awkward between us or cause drama. I am just processing allot right now and your leaving me confusing signals and it needs to stop for my sake if there is nothing to them, you know? I just feel like it's important for me to sort this out early rather than misinterpret some mixed signal you give me some night while drunk and do something stupid that would end up freaking you out.

I thought this was a pretty fair message as the main point was things he was doing to confuse me. The only real awkward thing in the letter was saying I was open to it if he did feel something. However I am also worried I blamed him to much as I was obviously quite receptive of it as well. He texted me back pretty quickly and said he didn't remember anything and was super drunk and he did not mean to lead me on, he just felt important for knowing and enjoyed that. I worry I have made things super awkward as when I came out he called me before he even finished reading the letter to talk where as here I just got a couple quick texts and then we did not contact each other for 2 days at all. When after I came out like a week ago it seemed like we were talking every day. He finally text-ed me today it was just a joke, nothing serious but I hope that means things are ok. Seems like we are still on talking terms at least.

I guess I really just do not buy the drunk excuse. I mean for one the stuff happened progressively through the night so while maybe he did not remember cuddling with me he should remember the rest and at the very least waking up next to me in the morning. He has also certainly been more drunk then he was that night and has remembered his night. And the knee thing a few days later he was soberish... Not to mention this kinda stuff has been going on for years. So I really do not know how to take that response. It makes it really awkward for me as it makes me sound like an idiot whose making things up or something.

I guess another interesting question is his response did not include anything about his orientation or whether there was something there or not... just that he was not trying to lead me on. I mean don't you guys think a straight guy who was confronted with this would be a little more defensive like "ohh I am straight for sure look at all the girls I am with" ect?? I mean I guess I should be thankful I had these mixed signals to confront... it gave me a chance to tell him I am open to being with him if he is interested without it being the awkward focus of the conversation.

I guess I just want some opinions on my letter, what I should do now as far as trying to repair our friendship if I did indeed hurt it? I am assuming I should just give him space at this point? I know its kinda early still to tell. What do you guys think of his response? At the end of the day my biggest fear in life was that one day he would be getting married and I would still be in the closet and I know I would have to tell him both about being gay and having feelings for him or I would regret it the rest of my life... so I am glad I got both accomplished now... I do not know if I will ever stop having feelings for him but at least now I can hopefully get some closure with knowing he knows I am gay and open to him if he wants me...

Meh... another long post. Thanks anyone who responds. I guess I have come a long way in just a couple weeks. I just do not know what to do at this point.

2. AKTodd

If his story is that he was drunk etc. and he's sticking to it, then you need to accept it and move forward. Things may be a little awkward for a bit, but if you and he are now following this 'script' that should pass. Do I think he could be lying, either to you or himself? Yup. But you can't really confront him on that since that is basically trying to force him out of the closet.

If his cuddly behavior continues or resumes after a break, you are justified in have a talk with him. Make it face to face in that case. At that point, it may be time to do the 'I'm here to support you if you ever need to tell me something' thing. But only if he doesn't change or resumes the behavior.

The whole sleeping together thing probably needs to stop as well.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. wboii

wboii Guest

Ive read your other threads.
    I say accept his too dunk story and give him space. If he's the friend he seems to be then he'll come around. If he still is touchy and flirtatious then you need to have a face-to-face conversation. Let him know its not fair or comfortable for you. Yes maybe you enjoy it and sometimes encourage but youre gay ! obviously you'll like it. But it's uncomfortable not knowing if it means something, especially when he has a girlfriend.
    Also sleeping with another guy isn't unnatural. Its the feeling your thigh and touching and spooning that is.
    Just be honest and real but passively because a man's pride is fragile.
    But other than that move on. He knows how you feel and where you stand. If he quits doing what he was doing then find another guy. But stay friends.

4. Sardonic

I agree with Todd, I have a deep suspicion that he is dealing with his own issues. The fact that his answer was so opaque may indicate several things about his own problems (and if he chooses not to share those with you, there's not much you can do about it).

My advice is to not worry about his lack of communication. What's happened is that you've splashed some cold water on him! This is exactly what you wanted, was for him to take physical & emotional distance so as not to hurt & confuse you.

There are two likely scenarios, both of which play out into this action:

1. He realized what he's doing, is ashamed of it, and isn't quite willing to admit that he is unintentionally leading you on (when he has ABSOLUTELY NO INTENT of doing something), and the shame keeps him from talking to you. This will get better after a few weeks(AT MOST), probably. When contact resumes at the level you wish to have it, then it will be relatively awkward-free and friendly.

2. He realizes what he's doing, and starts to question himself. He might be panicking, denying, or a bunch of other things right now. He's separating himself from you because the way he acts around you scares him, now that you've made him think about it. IN this scenario, he is confronting sexual confusion, and possible attraction to you. This scenario either leads to a long-term disconnect between the two of you, or a more rosy ending.

I would put my money on 1 if I were you, so that you don't get your hopes up. I'll root for 2 for you, so that you can focus on the likely reality of his straightness whilst I pray for a fairy tale romance.

I can tell you from my own experience that no matter how much you may believe he could/is attracted to you...if he's straight it's a no-go no matter how he's acting (that is, if you want something long term & emotionally fulfilling).