1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being sensitive and what that really means

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll put this here, because it's not really a health issue - not even a mental health issue.

The word "sensitive" has often been tossed around with a negative connotation attached to it. It seems to imply thin skinned and that a person takes things too personally or seriously.

I had a great conversation with a friend last night. We discussed this topic. I believe it means that your senses are very adept at picking up inputs. She said that it's being hyper-vigilant, or just more vigilant than the average person, either because of innate qualities or as a learned way of processing things. That's what it is to me - the excellent vigilance of one's senses at picking up cues in one's environment.

What do you think and do you think this word is mostly positive, negative, dependent on the gender, or dependent on the situation at hand?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think sensitive needs to be distinguished from hyper reactive or someone with a low flash point whose reactions are over the top.

With this division, I believe things get clearer, I believe sensitivity is a necessary component of being human, and like so many things, is good to a degree and then not so good beyond that set point.

3. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often think of sensitivity together with empathy -- the ability to put oneself in others' shoes and understand what they are feeling (which involves being vigilant and observant in a mindful way). Being sensitive and empathetic are positives in my book, but I know others can construe these as signs of weakness...

4. Toshi

Toshi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a very sensitive person. People told me that and I think I am too.

I believe being sensitive itself is a neutral characteristic. It can be positive or negative depending on how and how much you become. I think sensitive people are often intuitive or analytical too. And I think those characteristics are very tricky.

But if you can learn how to use those characteristics as the way you want, they will be
    a great characteristics to have. I'm still learning, but I think it is possible.