1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you meet your Significant Others?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Liz1968, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Liz1968

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Everyone,

I'm always nervous starting new threads, and I do hope this isn't repeating anything already out there. I'm just starting to try and date women, and I have absolutely no idea how to meet them. I've started to feel discouraged because I'm looking at such a small percentage of the population, and because it feels so much harder to meet lesbians than it was to meet men.

So I thought I'd cheer myself up and ask how those of you who've managed to find girlfriends/boyfriends/partners/significant others met them? I'm not just looking for advice, but also some nice stories to inspire those of us still struggling on that front.

2. HopeFloats

Well, I am currently single. But I am *hoping* that several lesbians I came out to last week will give me some advice on that front! I'm having lunch with a couple on Friday. They're in their 40s and have been together for a long time. I'll report back!

3. LD579

Most people meet those special someones by coincidence. Friends of friends, and all that... That's happened to me once.

Otherwise, as I'm sure is the case for others, I randomly just met someone. We were friends first, and then he asked me out, and then I said yes, and the rest is the past.

You could also try online dating. Some sites are more hookup oriented, while others are more reputable. Besides that, just being friendly and open and meeting new acquaintances and friends will go a long way. Taking the first step can be hard, but if you know someone who 'swings your way', you could always ask them out first.

I've been rejected maybe... 3 times. It kinda sucks, but at the very least, I can take solace in the fact that I tried and explored that option.

4. AKTodd

I met my partner in an online chat room. This was back in the mid-90s, so the various dating and hookup sites didn't exist yet. This was just a room for gay guys in VA to talk, although I'm sure a certain amount of date and such was happening. I'd just moved here from AZ and was staying with my best friend. She introduced me to the Internet and I was exploring.

While I was chatting in the room, I started talking to this one guy who had an interesting online name. When I asked him what it meant, he explained he had lived in several states and his name was based on the abbreviations of several. From there we talked about places lived and it turned out he'd gone to school at U of AZ also. Which drove more conversation.

After a couple of days of chatting, we also determined we lived in the same city and should talk on the phone, which led to getting together for a dinner that had me getting home late in the afternoon the next day. And the rest is history.

Todd

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We met years ago through mutual friends. At the time, my group of friends ed to have a lot of picnics and gatherings and she was often there, but we didn't speak much. We started talking a lot at a mutual friend's party a year or so ago, and became real friends pretty quickly. after a while feelings started to build up. She flirted a lot with me late last year, and when I asked her if she was serious, she said tht she was. So the next time we hung out, I gave her a peck on the lips, she kissed me back, and it all happened from there. :slight_smile:

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I can't weigh in on this, since I'm single, but I would think that venues such as school, work (but in a different company that consults with yours, etc.), conferences, common interest groups, and meeting through friends seem like the most viable.

I think that the tryst which turns into a relationship is less likely to work. I had a friend whose need for independence was almost obsessive, to the point that he didn't ever want to make plans, and then he's suddenly in a relationship that stemmed from an encounter. As far as I know, they are still together, but they both had problems with depression as the relationship went on, as well as indifference and apathy toward each other, like they were roommates under one roof. I did not get a good vibe when I was around them. I lost touch with this friend about 4 years ago.

7. AaronMed

I met mine on a gay geolocation app :grin:.

8. Jared

I'm met my boyfriend at my schools LGBT center, I wasn't looking for a relationship at the time, I had just started coming out. We started off as friends and after I broke up with me first "boyfriend" we started hangin out in a more romantic context and we kinda got together at a party. The party is kinda infamous we were making out everywhere and my friends got a good laugh out of that since I'm the shy type. All though he did throw up on me at the end of the night....

9. Briluvely

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Do you believe in love at first sight?

10. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I met my ex on chatavenue ,I don't think we will date again ever .just friends :slight_smile:

11. Liz1968

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know. I definitely believe in attraction at first sight, but the last time I was in love with someone it took me about two years to realize. Then again, I was pretty deeply closeted at the time. Is that how you met your person?

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2013 at 02:31 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! It looks like online, mutual friends, and LGBTQ gathering places (centers, etc) are the most common.

12. justjade

I kind of met him by accident. I went to the local print shop to have some of my homemade comics printed, and I immediately thought he was adorable. But I was engaged to my ex-husband at the time, so I didn't really say much to him. Then, while I was going through the divorce with my ex-husband, I ran into him again, and we became friends. Then we dated, moved in together, and got married in really quick succession.

In the past, though, I've mostly just dated people from school or work. I've never done online dating, and I don't really get out much. I'm a very introverted person. You'll never see me just walk up to some random person and start a conversation.

13. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

We're obviously not married, and we are not even going out. But me and my crush met at a very unlikely time and place. It was about 9 at night, and I was playing in my back garden (I was only about 6 then), and then my next door neighbours but two were also playing in their garden - a boy and a girl. The girl was and is one year younger, and the boy was and is two years younger than myself. We started talking between the fence, because our gardens join because we're near a corner. And we became quite friendly. Then, after that, we never saw each other again. Until last December, when we are now at the same secondary school. And that's when I discovered I was bisexual, and I first felt romantic attraction for him. And the present: I still haven't talked to him, but am taking it one step at a time. That's how we met. Love at second sight - let's call it.

14. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my imagination. :tears:

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I met her at Pride, of all things, back in January. During the celebration, I kept running into her, and it was almost becoming coincidental since everywhere I turned, she was there. I found her extremely adorable, and I thought to myself, "Well, this is a once in a lifetime sort of thing", so I worked up the courage during one of the music events, walked over to her and said, "Hey, I've been seeing you everywhere here." We talked more, got to know each other on a name basis, and I asked for her number and said I'd text or call her later on.

We went through a period of texting/calling for about three-four days, and I asked her out on our first date, and then it lead to a second date the following week, and so forth. On our second, I asked her if she wanted to be my girlfriend, and we became a couple a week before Valentines Day, February 7th, and have been together since. :love: