1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

religious argument.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HeyAshley, Jul 11, 2013.

1. HeyAshley

the bible claims that same sex relationships / marriages are a sin.
    the bible claims that premarital sexual actions are a sin.

personally i'm not religious, i'm not saying that i don't believe in god. not to offend anyone, but i think the bible was just written by someone who got incredibly bored a long time ago.

i was at my friend's house a few days ago, her mom hates the fact that she's into girls. according to my friend, her and her mom bicker over this on a daily basis. i'm over there a lot and i never witnessed it until a couple days ago. (mind you, her mom is against it because she's a hardcore christian.)

i walk into her house right in the middle of the debate, i never knock. we're just good friends like that. right off the bat, this is what i hear:

mom: you're betraying your love to jesus by behaving this way.
    friend: it's not like i'm choosing to behave this way, it's just who i am.
    mom: gay relationships in the bible are labeled as a sin, i won't tolerate your negative energy any longer in my household.
    me: (knowing that shes never been married) have you ever been married?
    mom: no. *rambles about current dating life for 5 minutes*
    me: according to the bible, premarital sex is a sin. so you can't judge her when you disobeyed the bible as well.
    mom: this would be a good time for you to leave, you know nothing about my relationship with god. that's personal.

i laughed, shrugged my shoulders and left. i felt like the best friend in the world for serving her mom like that. when it's something that hinders my friend's feelings on a daily basis. my friend hasn't talked to me since that happened, she still lives at home and her mom pays her bills so i figured maybe she confiscated her cell phone or something of the sort. so i decided to text her today and see what she was up to.

this is the response that i get:
    "probably not a good idea that we remain friends. you can't just come into my house and disrespect my mom like that."

i haven't replied, partially because i can't decide if i'm right or wrong in this situation. i mean, my words are right. i don't think that's a negotiable answer. but whether or not i had the right to open my mouth, i can't figure out.

is an apology owed or do i just move on until she decides she's over it?

2. rjrh20

I would say only say sorry if you really care about the relationship and couldn't live with out it. Say you were just trying to stand up for her and her because you feel as friends it was the right thing to do. She also could be saying this because her mom is making her.

3. HeyAshley

she's 20 years old. if she's still saying things because her mom is making her, i'm over it. this isn't middle school. i care, but i'm the type that just normally lays back until the other people comes to their senses.

4. Gen

Gen

In a sense, I have to agree with you.

I could understand if she felt it may have been poor timing or not your place to say, but she should have known that you were only trying to help her. Its not as though anything you said was offensive or judgemental; her mother simply took it as such because self-righteous people can't stand to recognize that they are not so righteous in reality.

Though I would send her another text and fully speak your mind. Be brutally honest because if she is going to end your relationship, after all you have been through, for your attempts to defend her and who she is than she needs to face that.

5. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    You are 100% right. What right does someone have to discriminate against someone else on the grounds of something they aren't even obeying themselves? It is made worse by the fact that sex before marriage is an optional thing, therefore her mother has disobeyed the Bible by choice. Sexuality is not an optional thing, so the nerve of your friend's mother is unbelievable. Christians have no excuse to discriminate against anyone with the amount of contradictions there are in the Bible, which, as you said, is clearly a man-made work of far fetched fiction.

6. biggayguy

You only said something she would never dare say to her mother. OTOH she may have taken it as you calling her mother a slut. People don't generally like it when you call a spade a spade.

7. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all
    Awesome reply :thumbsup: That was a nice hit to the face

Ashley, you we're amazing defending your friend. I wish I had a kick-@$$ friend like you~
    Sadly, it seems that your friend sides with her mother on that. She may be a b!tch, and doesn't have the right to offend her own daughter like that, but she is her mother... No one likes it when their parents are offended, especially mothers.

I think it would have been better if you commented that with your friend and not at the mother. In the end your friend is the one that has to deal with her mom, and grow some back bone.

Give her some time to cool off. No one knows what they have until they lose sight of it. And your friend will have to acknowledge sooner or later that you we're just trying to protect her.

Also, her mom sounds like a b!tch. I think I already said that ^ Yup I did, and she is v.v

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My guess is her mom *really* didn't like it when someone gave her a dose of her own hypocrisy, and took it out on her daughter.

If your friend didn't appreciate what was simply a pointing out of an inconsistency of beliefs... and is willing to end it over one comment like that, then, as you said, there probably isn't much authentic about the relationship and it's likely not worth trying to keep.

9. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Why dont you call her, in these type of situations its better to say sorry by phone or idealy in person.

By the way, if you stay friends you should know you are probably not going to be permitted in her house as her mom is angry at you.

10. Mhin

Endless Debate

11. SomeNights

I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for this post....here it goes:

I think you should apologize to your friend's mom. Not because you were factually wrong, but you were socially in the wrong. Not only did you probably offend her mom, but you probably offended her. If you said that to my mom, i'd deck you on the spot. Plus we're both from the mid-west, we know that the culture around here dictates that if you are someone's guest you treat them with respect and courtesy no matter how much you disagree with them. Granted, the social norm isn't to have discussions of family issues in front of guests either.

Anyway, I disagree with Chip(that's gotta be a first). I think you should suck up your pride and apologize. Because it'll help your friend in the long run. I think that by apologizing to her mom you'll surprise her and show her the love that she's supposed to be showing as a christian and maybe show her that Matthew Vines video while you're at it. :wink:

12. Briluvely

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    ^ agreed :/

13. Gen

Gen

I disagree with this entirely.

The problem here is that you nor your mother wouldn't be upset with her because she said something 'disrespect'. Nothing she said was disrespectful. Not to mention, if she was miss informed, as a christian, her mother would be biblically called correct her with proper scripture. She was completely correct in what she said. It is seen as 'disrespectful', because in the eyes of someone who is being religious self-righteous, what she said would have been hurtful to their pride.

I don't care what anyone says to my loved ones, if they are right in doing so, I am not going to "deck" anyone. Holding blindly onto our pride will only cause us to live in ignorance. She was perfectly respectful with her words. The mother is just offended because reality hurts.

14. SomeNights

See that's what i'm saying. Even if you are factually right, walking into someone else's house and calling them out on something mid-conversation is considered extremely rude and considered disrespectful. I mean, I am well aware that my mom has done "stuff" outside of marriage, but it's not my place to call her out on it (esp in her house) and by doing so I am being disrespectful to her.

15. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read a quote that said, "If you're going to be sorry, then don't be sorry for speaking the truth", and that you were. I mean, I think that the mother is being disrespectful towards her own daughter. And arguing with someone who is a religious fanatic is a waste of time. I'm assuming that your friend's mother knows that you also like girls? If so, then I'd be offended too, but two wrongs don't make it right. Sometimes, it's best to bite your tongue; can you really blame your friend for taking her mom's side? It's pretty hurtful on both ends, being called sinful because you're gay. And being called out on having sex out of wedlock, even though it's pretty common. She obviously has some issues that she needs to work through herself and it struck a nerve.

I think you should apology even if you were right, especially if you want to salvage your friendship. This wasn't your argument to state the obvious because it did not involve you.

#15 pinklov3ly, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I've posted this before, but according to the bible, these are proper marriages:
    [​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]OFkeKKszXTw[/YOUTUBE]

17. HeyAshley

i totally see where you're coming from, it makes sense. i would never walk into someone's house and disrespect them and/or their family. i'm a respectful person. i just know her family really well and i figured i'd point out something valid. i didn't do it to so she'd feel like she just got smacked in the face, but i did it more so to prove a point that if we're all going by the bible - everyone sins at one point. so who's to say that one sin is worse than the other unless we're getting on the topic of murder or destroying another human life.

i figured that it'd possibly open her eyes, it wasn't meant to embarrass or any of the sort. i'll probably give it a few more days and see how i feel about it. i just never said anything in a rude manner and i made a valid point, so it's hard for me to suck up my pride and apologize for something i'm not sorry about.

18. Gen

Gen

Though we aren't speaking as though the mother was randomly called out of her sins. She choose to speak and judge on the supposed sins of others. She opened the door to the conversation. I can understand saying that you see how the mother would be upset by what she said, but to say that the OP should apologize is an entirely different situation. This upset is about pride. Nothing the OP said was disrespectful, it is only considered disrespectful by some because it probably hurt the mother's pride.

If her mother would have just been completely honest and said, I don't want you to be gay, rather than god doesn't want you to be gay; she wouldn't have had anything to be 'called out' for. She opened up the discussions about the sins of others. If you want to challenge others, you have to be willing to be challenged yourself.

I apologize for hurting someone's feelings. I don't apologize for hurting someone's pride. The OP is not the only one in this friendship. The effort should be mutual. If her friend is making no effort to speak to her, despite her actively reaching out, then why should she have to go out of her way and try even harder.

I don't see the point in apologize a friend that is willing to completely cut you off, without even discussion, after trying to defend them. Even if I agreed that she was being disrespectful, it she said something with the intention of trying to defend me, I would give her the benefit of the doubt and let it go. To hold onto that grudge is simply childish and possibly a hint that this might be a friendship I'd prefer to do without.

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm proud of you. I hope she realized something from your tough love.

20. HeyAshley

god why does everyone think i'm such a tough loverrrrrrr.