1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about my relationship with family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Darklord9089, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Darklord9089

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay. I'm new here but I've been lurking around and reading a lot of the threads around here and I feel this is the best place to ask for advice and support for things of this nature.

Basically I text my friends with a lot of trust and I've told them about my sexual orientation. Now I think I'm bisexual and I've let friends know about this but being a virgin can put doubts in my mind which is why I list myself as Bi-curious. Anyway, through a series of frustrating, rude, and over all stupid events, my mother became aware of my supposed sexual orientation by going through my phone and reading the texts I've sent. She then went about telling my father who is now "worried about me". He and my mom are fairly religious people but what urks me is that my father's dislike of the LGBT community stems from a lack of knowledge, assumptions, and a stubborn attitude towards it. He thinks it's genetic and he's talked about how "his side of the family has never had a gay" but my mother's side has. I've told him that I'm bi-curious but he's told me "not to make up terms" and he's very difficult to convince when it comes to this sort of stuff. He's very stubborn and he won't support or respect my decision. He thinks by being gay or bisexual or "having sex with a man" will lead me to a tough, harsh life that will end with me dying from a terrible disease from being gay. I'm fine with staying in the closet about my sexual orientation. I don't feel it's my business to share it or anyone else's business to know unless I want to. What I'm worried about is that my father will share it with my Grandmother (his mom) and aunt and uncle. I really love my aunt and grandma but they are extremely catholic and show obvious dislike for the LGBT community. I don't want my father to ruin my relationship with them by telling them about my orientation nor do I want to tell them myself for fear of their reaction. I'm stuck as to what I should do and I feel like I'm not in control of what people know about me, simply because my mom did something that I won't forgive her for any time soon.

Advice, support, or any other word would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

#1 Darklord9089, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. HeyAshley

this is why i keep a passcode on my phone, people are nosy. that's my first tip of advice.

secondly, really the only thing you can do is to sit your parents down and tell them how it is. rather than let them make assumptions about you over text messages that you sent to someone else. maybe this will work, maybe it won't. but it's your life and be the person that you want to be without regrets. if your family doesn't accept it, you'll find plenty of people who will. but i'm sure it'll all work out in the end for you. sometimes things shock people and they don't understand why a person is the way that they are or they're uneducated on the topic so they respond negatively.

if your father is concerned about you, i'm sure he'll do some looking into the LGBT community and hopefully it'll open his eyes a bit. sometimes people just need a little time to come to their senses and be civil about situations.

3. biggayguy

4. Darklord9089

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you both for replying. I'll try my best to follow the advice and that site you've linked has given me hope that he'll be a bit more understanding. Thanks a bunch.

5. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Write them a letter where you explain to them everything about Lgtb people:

How you wont get a disease if you are careful and how straight people can also get the same diseases if they sleep around

How stereotypes arent alwas true

How oundidnt choose to be of an orientation that will be hated

How it could be from mutation also not only passed genetically

How it could be from an event at the womb

Explain everything.

6. srslywtf

I have an incredibly nosey mother, it was horrible. Thankfully I don't live with them anymore. She's still nosey, but my life is separate enough to avoid most of it.

I recommend you talk to them. But don't expect them to change their opinion or support you. You can't use logic to argue with an irrational entity.

Tell them your opinion and that this is your life and you're not going to live a lie.

7. Darklord9089

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been considering doing the email or letter approach but I want to do it after I'm out of my dad's house. I don't know how he'll react with how illogical he can be so I don't want to be stuck in a house that doesn't like me for four years. I really appreciate all the advice I'm getting. Thank you all so much. When is the best time to send an email or letter to a parent like that? I'm seventeen so I'm not so sure it should be now.